WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Minehaha Spring very small, but useable. Pocohontas Spring running really well. Cleared some branches from the storm on the trail between Port Clinton and Minehaha Spring. and picked up a lot of trash at the Pocohontas Camp area (where you're not supposed to camp because it's in the watershed area.

BTW: WARNING!! Both parking areas in Port Clinton off of Rte. 61 have had MANY problems w/ vandalism and theft. This was reported to me by the State Trooper that wrote the Police report for my vehicle which had the driver's window smashed. I also had my GPS and iPod taken out of the console.
    Last edited by petunia; 10-02-2010 at 21:59.

Images

I always thought the Pocohontas camp site was on State Game Lands.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DrL View Post
    I always thought the Pocohontas camp site was on State Game Lands.
    I checked my maps. Low-and-behold, the Pocohontas campsite does indeed reside within the Hamburg watershed lands.

Images

See how it pays to buy the official guides, carry maps and read signs even if it only saves one from correcting oneself on WhiteBlaze?

Notice I did not use the impersonal or indefinite you. When it doesn't cause immediate thread thread-lock, it sometimes elicits a post which does as it should.
    Last edited by emerald; 10-13-2010 at 19:29.

Possibly a stupid question, but is there a fire ring at the actual shelter?

GA-ME 78, sectional 81-01 HIKER7s's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    Possibly a stupid question, but is there a fire ring at the actual shelter?

I haven't been there since 2012, there was a fire pit there in from of the shelter
    I hiked that ridge Pop told me not to that morning.
    Each time out, I see that same ridge- only different.
    Each one is an adventure in itself. Leading to what is beyond the next- HIKER7s

Quote Originally Posted by HIKER7s View Post

I haven't been there since 2012, there was a fire pit there in from of the shelter
    Thank you. I have hiked that area a few times but have never stayed at the shelter. The state game lands and the rules in that area tend to be a little stricter than other places along the trail so I did not want to assume.

It was there in Oct 2014

I camped there over the thanksgiving holiday, and the fire pit was there.
    see the path cut by the moon for you to walk on

Images

Yes, there is still a fire pit in front of the shelter. The shelter, toilet, and a few nearby campsites are actually located on NPS lands WITHIN the watershed property, so fires are allowed there (but nowhere else in the area). Please try to keep them small, since a wildfire in this area could cause MAJOR problems for the watershed (and therefore for the Borough of Hamburg). NOTE: anyone parking overnight at the reservoir parking lot MUST register with the Borough Secretary (61 North 3rd St., Hamburg) or they WILL be ticketed and fined. The parking lot is patrolled several times a night by the Hamburg Police. Registration is a small price (free) to pay for being allowed to park overnight (or longer).
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    Yes, there is still a fire pit in front of the shelter. The shelter, toilet, and a few nearby campsites are actually located on NPS lands WITHIN the watershed property, so fires are allowed there (but nowhere else in the area). Please try to keep them small, since a wildfire in this area could cause MAJOR problems for the watershed (and therefore for the Borough of Hamburg). NOTE: anyone parking overnight at the reservoir parking lot MUST register with the Borough Secretary (61 North 3rd St., Hamburg) or they WILL be ticketed and fined. The parking lot is patrolled several times a night by the Hamburg Police. Registration is a small price (free) to pay for being allowed to park overnight (or longer).
    Hopefully the idiots that camped and had a fire up on the Pinnacle Friday night gets ticketed. not sure if the rules for that area are well publicized or rather people just ignore them.

We tented at the shelter this past Friday (only ones there). We attempted a small fire but the wood was wet and there was very very little dead wood on the ground so we burnt some twigs before the rain came. We had lunch at The Pinnacle and only passed a few day hikers. Thanks to all who replied.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++