WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Images

^ +1............
    ...God's Country, and Scotch.

Images

This has been mostly a very civil discussion.

cool
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

^ no dangit i meant for that to go to shepherd

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WI shepherd View Post
    thank you for RockDoc for bringing up a memory picture of my very old grandmother sitting at her kitchen table in the evening reading her Bible by the light of a bare light bulb hanging from the ceiling. She didn't live close to the AT, and her days of fishing the WI river were decades past, but even I as a young kid could feel something special going on.

Through my struggles trying to understand God I've come to realize the New Testament is important to Christians because it is a book of establishing a personal relationship with Jesus. Just as I can't be "made" or "forced" to establish a personal relationship with anyone here or on a trail; no one can make me establish a relationship with Jesus.

I've been annoyed with thumpers, but I've also been tagged with people showing the love of Christ. My conclusion for my life: I have a heavenly Father who loves me, and when I stray he will try to find me and bring me back home (just like any earthly parent.) Sometimes he puts people in my path that annoy and push and force me to question their tactics and His message; sometimes it is the gentle, powerful image of someone in their personal moment with Him that makes me long for that same type of personal relationship.

HYOH
    well said

Images

The Dalai Lama is someone I wouldn't mind meeting on the AT. Buddhism is not really a religion but more a philosophy.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Why are proclaimed "athiests" really just Christian haters?

If they are really "athiests" (Wikipedia: the rejection of belief in the existence of deities) then they should be equal opportunity haters, and use these pages to insult the Dalai Lama and the idea that Natives have sacred sites that should be protected. Come on, athiests, lets hear your Buddhism rants!!
    Oddly enough, I don't have Buddhists knocking on my door every weekend or trying to encourage me to listen to their "good news" while I'm out talking a walk.

There are religions that proselytize and those that don't. Judaism, Hinduism and Buddhism, to name a few, aren't out actively recruiting new members.

All you are doing by proselytizing is trying to sell me something. It shouldn't be surprising to be treated the same way a pushy salesman is treated.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Why are proclaimed "athiests" really just Christian haters?

If they are really "athiests" (Wikipedia: the rejection of belief in the existence of deities) then they should be equal opportunity haters, and use these pages to insult the Dalai Lama and the idea that Natives have sacred sites that should be protected. Come on, athiests, lets hear your Buddhism rants!!
    I don't know about fellow atheists, but I've never been proselytized to, vilified by, hit up for money by, or protested against by Buddhists or Natives.

It's not the Sikhs or the Hindus protesting dead American soldiers funerals and tossing bombs into clinics.

I think all religions are equally dogmatic, archaic, and dangerous. Christians are just the most blind, prevalent, and outspoken in this country.

But if it truly makes you happy, and you practice in a respectful way without snubbing your nose at others (this includes proselytizing or distributing propaganda in the wilderness), then go for it.
    Last edited by Alligator; 03-01-2011 at 12:49. Reason: Politics edited out.
    AT '11
    Springer Mtn. 3/16/11 -------> Katahdin 8/24/11
    Stoveless and Slackless

I grew up going to church but I do not go anymore. What goes on in church is not spiritual. What goes on in nature is spiritual.

I had not thought about any of the stuff from church in a long time. When I went on my hike, the following items were made clear:

1. Jesus said to drop all your stuff and follow me. I was an ultralight hiker. I got it. I understood that it is good to walk, to move my body and to carry very little.

2. Jesus said to look at the birds and how they don't hoard away stuff and worry about the future. Look at the lillies and see that they are clothed finer than you'll ever be. Yeah. A minimalist lifestyle is a good thing. Acquiring stuff is not important. Trail magic is real once you are open to it (and I'm not talking about rides and coolers, I'm talking real trail magic). And if you stay open, you can find trail magic in real life, too.

3. In Genesis Adam and Eve were put to work in the garden of Eden. I learned from my hike that physical work feels good. It's what we're meant to do.

Have I ever met a religious person in regular life who lives this way? Never. Have I ever met anyone in real life who preaches minimalism, living in and with nature, taking inspiration from birds and flowers, living a life of trail magic? Never.

Please do not preach to me. I figured it out on my own, thank you.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

SB, that was beautiful! I couldnt agree more.I was raised roman catholic, havent been to church in I dont know how many years, and my relationship with the divine is the strongest its ever been.

Unfortunetly, proselytizing is a basic tenet of the Christion religon, other wise there would not be so many of them. Therefore, they are commited to spreading "the word", much to the annoyance of everyone else. Just something we have to put up with. At least they don't go around forcing conversions at the point of a sword or a gun anymore - for the most part.

God was created in mans image. It is rather vain of anyone to think it was the other way around.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I grew up going to church but I do not go anymore. What goes on in church is not spiritual. What goes on in nature is spiritual.

I had not thought about any of the stuff from church in a long time. When I went on my hike, the following items were made clear:

1. Jesus said to drop all your stuff and follow me. I was an ultralight hiker. I got it. I understood that it is good to walk, to move my body and to carry very little.

2. Jesus said to look at the birds and how they don't hoard away stuff and worry about the future. Look at the lillies and see that they are clothed finer than you'll ever be. Yeah. A minimalist lifestyle is a good thing. Acquiring stuff is not important. Trail magic is real once you are open to it (and I'm not talking about rides and coolers, I'm talking real trail magic). And if you stay open, you can find trail magic in real life, too.

3. In Genesis Adam and Eve were put to work in the garden of Eden. I learned from my hike that physical work feels good. It's what we're meant to do.

Have I ever met a religious person in regular life who lives this way? Never. Have I ever met anyone in real life who preaches minimalism, living in and with nature, taking inspiration from birds and flowers, living a life of trail magic? Never.

Please do not preach to me. I figured it out on my own, thank you.
    Jesus said a lot more things also. You should check them out. They have eternal significance.

Images

Since RockDoc brought up Buddhism, he should also be informed that there is no deity in Buddhism, therefore there is no inconsistency in being an atheist (note the spelling) and a Buddhist.

Images

Lots of atheists proselytizing too. They are often aggressive and looking to pick an argument where ever they can. Several non-Christians gave very helpful advice in the beginning of this thread. It looks like it is quickly going down hill.

Images

No aggression here, sheepy! Just answering RockDoc's questions.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by IceAge View Post
    No aggression here, sheepy! Just answering RockDoc's questions.
    Never had a problem with your posts.

Images

I haven’t heard one Christian speak even near as harsh in this thread as the ones who speak so adamantly against it (continuously mind you). I’ve grown up with friends and family that were Christian and non-Christian including atheist, agnostics, and downright immoral people and I tell you what, I would take my hike with a real Christian any day over any other person, especially the ones who have so irreverently chimed in on this thread. Just to let all know I’m still trying to figure out where I stand in my beliefs and practices and from what I’ve seen in the past 24 hours is that the ones who talk about Christianity in a positive light seem to be wonderful, caring individuals.

Satan built the Appalachian Trail.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by TallShark View Post
    I haven’t heard one Christian speak even near as harsh in this thread as the ones who speak so adamantly against it (continuously mind you). I’ve grown up with friends and family that were Christian and non-Christian including atheist, agnostics, and downright immoral people and I tell you what, I would take my hike with a real Christian any day over any other person, especially the ones who have so irreverently chimed in on this thread. Just to let all know I’m still trying to figure out where I stand in my beliefs and practices and from what I’ve seen in the past 24 hours is that the ones who talk about Christianity in a positive light seem to be wonderful, caring individuals.
    Define a "real" Christian? I real Christian to me is someone who makes a conscious decision to live their lives every day according to the teachings of Christ. I haven't met one yet who isn't a hypocrite in some form or fashion. Most Christians pick and choose what parts they want to buy into and ignore all that contradictory stuff.

Dave Barry once asked "Why is it that people who want you to listen their religious views are never willing to listen to yours?" I couldn't even get the Jehovah's Witnesses in my community to listen to me for 15 minutes in exchange for me listening to them for 15 minutes.

You can preach to me as long as I get to go first.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Satan built the Appalachian Trail.
    only the steep hills without switch-backs

Quote Originally Posted by Namaste View Post
    The Dalai Lama is someone I wouldn't mind meeting on the AT. Buddhism is not really a religion but more a philosophy.
    Move to Bloomington, IN. He has relatives here and comes by every couple of years or so. There is a large Tibetan center in town. I never actually met him but ate in the same restaurant with him once.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++