WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Greyhound/ Pack question...

I purchased my bus ticket to Atlanta and have a ride planned to get me to Amicalola, so now I just have a few minor details to figure out.

The last time I took the bus, I was separated from my backpack. Luckily, it was during a 'return home' trip, so I wasn't stranded without my gear and I did eventually get it back (a week later). This time, I'm hoping to keep my stuff with me by using my pack as a carry-on. The greyhound site only says that "carry-ons must fit under your seat or in the overhead rack."

Here's the question-- Do you think I will be allowed to carry my pack on the bus? Its a Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus and weighs less than 20 lbs, without water.
    ~Happiness is only real when shared~

Images

I have taken the Greyhound the past 4 years while section hiking and I have seen people prohibited from riding the bus because they had either too much "stuff" or tried to insist on carrying on something considered too bulky, so I wouldn't take the chance. Whenever I have changed buses my pack has been unloaded and I take it with me to the next bus. When boarding the initial bus set it where you can keep an eye on it and make sure it gets loaded. Also make sure you have a couple of tags on it in addition to the large "ticket tag".
    Seek, and you shall find.

If the person giving you a ride from Atlanta is agreeable, ship your pack to him/her several weeks before you leave, so you can confirm it has arrived before you leave.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    If the person giving you a ride from Atlanta is agreeable, ship your pack to him/her several weeks before you leave, so you can confirm it has arrived before you leave.
    great advice!!!
    I traveled with my pack on the dog. I didn't loose it but was very nervous the whole time.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

i sat over the luggage doors and watched every bag leaving. was a little nerve racking.

Amtrak was cool. carry on
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I've seen people carry on an over stuffed book bag, a purse, and a pillow larger than my pack. I saw a guy with a small backpack and a large guitar case.
    Maybe I'll call or better yet, walk over to the bus station and ask them.

Worst case, they don't let me carry it on. I'll try to find (or make) a large orange bag to use as a cover to protect my pack, keep stuff from falling out of the pockets, and make it annoyingly visible.

Actually, worst case would be they search my pack...
    ~Happiness is only real when shared~

Images

Your right. should of not even posted and wasted our time, but thats OK i'm sure they will say carry it on. LOL .....................LOL
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Torch09 View Post
    The last time I took the bus, I was separated from my backpack. ...
    It is very rare for a bag to be lost ON a bus. 1) Make sure your bag is placed with other bags going to your connection city. 2) Make sure you get your bag and keep it with you whenever you connect, 3) repeat as necessary.

You should be as reliable as the parcel service sending your pack to Atlanta.

I like the cheep duffle/bag idea but have had trouble finding them.

I plan to ship my pack/gear/boots boxed up UPS and wear my crocks and yoga pants and T (sleeping clothes) on the plane to Atlanta. carry on will be my fanny pac. I'd rather have everything waiting on me to arrive.
    Those that danced were thought mad by those who could not hear the music. George Carlin

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Torch09 View Post
    Actually, worst case would be they search my pack...
    Word!
    -milkman

got soul?

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i sat over the luggage doors and watched every bag leaving. was a little nerve racking.

Amtrak was cool. carry on
    That's what I did on the bus. I would stand outside until the last minute and watch the luggage too.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    This is what I would do.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

In 2002 I was told both on the way to the AT and on the way back that I couldn't take the pack on the bus. I would try to take it on, but count on not being allowed to...and be prepared to explain the clear liquid (alcohol stove fuel) you are carrying in a soda bottle if they decide to tear your pack apart.

As of 2008 all carry on bages n large citys MUST BE searched before you get on the bus. When I was in NM and was going to Calf my carry on was searched and nail clippers and thing that could be use to "hurt" someone was removed. This was only for carry on.

++ New Posts ++