WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default backpack question

is there a UL backpack that offers a Sleeping bag compartment?

I'm not a UL'er but my guess would be a no. As that would be 'unneeded' fabric. That said, I originally wanted, and got, a pack that had this compartment, but ended up removing this in favor of better organization in the pack. It tends to waste space and things fall/shift when you take the sleeping bag out anyways.

My pack was the GoLite Odyssey - not sure it's weight, this is not a exactly an UL pack though, so doesn't meet your needs.

Images

Default Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird04217 View Post
    I'm not a UL'er but my guess would be a no. As that would be 'unneeded' fabric. That said, I originally wanted, and got, a pack that had this compartment, but ended up removing this in favor of better organization in the pack. It tends to waste space and things fall/shift when you take the sleeping bag out anyways.

My pack was the GoLite Odyssey - not sure it's weight, this is not a exactly an UL pack though, so doesn't meet your needs.
    Odyssey is a great pack and not heavy for the capacity. It also has good geometry to the suspension (load lifters actual work, etc). Fairly waterproof as well. I use mine in the winter when I need big volume...

I am not aware of one. Why would you want a sleeping bag compartment if you are trying to go UL?

Quote Originally Posted by Llama Legs View Post
    Odyssey is a great pack and not heavy for the capacity. It also has good geometry to the suspension (load lifters actual work, etc). Fairly waterproof as well. I use mine in the winter when I need big volume...
    Yea, it isn't a heavy pack for capacity in any case. And it was rated for 45-55 lbs? I think. I know during my thru, I had well over 50lbs of just food on top of probably 20lbs of packweight and those load lifters were a life saver... I don't ever recommend anyone doing that to themselves - or their pack - but the golite held it without struggle.

It's called the bottom of your pack, a sleeping bag 'compartment' usually means that you put your sleeping bag in the bottom of the pack, then there is a divider that separates your bag from the rest of your gear, and is accessible through a zipper.

On UL packs this would make little sense, as the divider is extra weight and serves no genuine purpose, the zipper is heavy, will leak and may fail, again...silly in an UL pack.

Also, at the end of the day you should be emptying out your pack anyhow, especially if you are going UL...if you have stuff you don't need, why carry it?

Finally, no reason why you can't put your bag on top, that way it's first when accessing your pack...you can put other non-heavy items like clothing and your pad on the bottom.

Just Hitting My Stride!

The Gossamer Gear G4 ultralight backapck bottom "flares" out to provide more area for a sleeping bag.

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    Finally, no reason why you can't put your bag on top, that way it's first when accessing your pack...
    This is great, until it rains and you need to access your pack and look what the first thing all that rain water will soak into? Yes, your brand new down sleeping bag.

No thank you. The sleeping bag and all items that need to stay dry are stuffed into the very bottom of the pack and are protected by a trash compactor bag.

Images

Why would you need to get your sleeping bag out of your pack through a bottom zipper during the day? My bag is the first thing that goes in my pack, and the last thing that comes out.

I will, on occasion, lay out my bag to dry in the sun at lunch. At that point I already have most of me gear out anyway, so it's no big deal.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I like a sleeping bag compartment. Now, the old Ospreys with a sewn-in stuff-it sack within the sleeping bag bottom compartment, that was overkill

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Marx View Post
    I like a sleeping bag compartment. Now, the old Ospreys with a sewn-in stuff-it sack within the sleeping bag bottom compartment, that was overkill
    Like the bottom part of the pack "is" a stuff sack, that you plop the bag in and then compress sort of? [now that I write this I wonder if I am thinking of a compression sack]. Anyways, I kinda think that would be AWESOME to have built into a pack, since then you wouldn't need to carry a stuff/compression sack for the sleeping bag. Of course down side being it could be a pain to load the sleeping back in your pack and compress it etc...

Images

Luxurylite

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird04217 View Post
    Like the bottom part of the pack "is" a stuff sack, that you plop the bag in and then compress sort of?
    Typical 90's style internal: unzip horizontal zipper across the whole pack bottom quarter, and just the top quarter of a compression sack (pull mouth closed with a cord and cord lock) was sewn around the perimeter of the entire zipper compartment. the idea was to stuff your bag in, like normal, but because you pulled it closed like a compression sack, the zipper wouldn't hang up on the sleeping bag as you zipped it closed. I can't find a picture of it to show you. They made a big deal of it in their catalogues, and I thought it was just silly.

++ New Posts ++