WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

An EMS is the closest thing we have to an outfitter here on Long Island. The people in this store are friendly and usually helpful. There's a limited selection of gear and a large selection of clothing. But, you can get everything you'd need for backpacking, if not the particular make and model you're looking for. Although they will order anything you want made by the major manufactures.

All that being said, REI is supposed to open a store in the same area this coming fall.

Like other chain stores, sales staff varies from store to store. Sometimes it's outstanding, and sometimes it's severly lacking.

EMS brand products: I've been very pleased with some items, usually clothing. But I stay clear of much of it. All depends on what you are looking for, and how much you want to spend. but, someone usually gives me a gift card, and I'll use it at a 20% off sale in the spring or fall.

Journal Entries

I tend to visit the stores, but I buy a lot online. Prices are kinda high at EMS and REI. Good for testing out gear, tho. I go in set up tents, climb in bags, try on jackets, then go online and get it for less.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Quote Originally Posted by sixguns01 View Post
    Also, thank god that a REI opened in East Hanover NJ. Great place and when you can find them great deals. Can't beat there Garage Sales!
    NJ has an REI?!?!? Never thought that would happen.

I guess it doesn't matter too much because I've been going to Ramsey's since I was a girl scout...not going to stop now...

Eastern Mountain Sports changing it's focus again?

http://www.nhbr.com/businessentrepre...-the-firm.html

Had an EMS near me when I lived in Amherst MA. Good to know they opened one in Collegeville. I live in EHT NJ now but the Collegeville EMS will come in handy when I'm out in Shwenksville for the Philadelphia Folk Fest.

Images

I like EMS. I've had especially good service at the Peterborough, NH, store. They have a warehouse there.The staff has tracked down what I'm looking for in the warehouse and get it to me within 20 minutes.

Some of their house brand stuff is very good quality and is often a bargain when on sale.

Default Not sure why

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs4U View Post
    EMS is a solid store but has nothing on REI. Only thing I dont like is EMS store brand stuff. Doesnt hold up and the reviews for their own products fall in comparison to the other brands. Also REI has the best return policy ever.
    So I have been a shopper of Eastern Mountain Sports for a long time now. I have tried REI but found the staff to be less knowledgeable then EMS. I'm an avid cyclist that does long distance touring, hiking and rock climbing. Everything is usually on sale for at least 20% off 'which is why my friends and I call it Every Month a Sale" EMS get it? and the return policy will put them out of business. Mainly because you can return anything you bought or didn't buy from there and return it for a credit if you do not have a receipt. Or you get a full refund on your purchase if you have a receipt. The only thing they havent taken back from me was some used climbing gear. and I totally understand why. I'd recommend checking out the Collegeville Pa location. The staff is awesome. they all ride, hike and climb. It's just a darn shame they wont be selling snowboards this year. I'm sure each store has its own faults but I have yet to find one in Collegeville. I hope this helps in some way. Sorry not trying to stick up for anyone. Just voicing my thoughts.

See ya on the trails.

Quote Originally Posted by soles gone bad View Post
    So I have been a shopper of Eastern Mountain Sports for a long time now....the return policy will put them out of business.....The only thing they havent taken back from me was some used climbing gear.
    So tell us WHY you tried to take it back.

Images

EMS and REI are good stores but I find REI to be more expensive on just about everything. You need the REI member discount just to come back to normal prices. For REI if you are a member they have a record of everything you buy so returns are easy without explanation. They just take it back. I found REI lame dealing with broken leki poles, but I dealt directly with Leki and they did a great job free!

EMS for me is a 3.68 miles from my home,takes me about 1 hour 35 min.to walk it,I go a few times a month just to sniff the gear?They know me,and don't seem to mind this odd activity.

I do have a nice EMS brand top that I use as a go to heavy layer. I think its kind of like the Coke Pepsi thing. Different strokes for different folks.

Images

Did you ever notice how many Outdoor stores eventually end up becoming clothing stores? Abercrombie and Fitch was an oufitter, then Eddie Bauer, LL Bean. They all were mainly gear stores and all added more and more clothing. Cabela's Bass Pro, more and more clothes and even housewares. It seems that EMS had been becoming a clothing store too but seems to be trying to mainly have outdoor gear. REI is staying pretty centered on gear and outdoor clothing.

Images

A couple of years ago I got a great winter jacket from my local EMS during clearance time at the end of winter. $25 dollars for a jacket with Primaloft Sport insulation. It's warm, comfortable, and the price was better than good. It's my everyday winter jacket and is holding up great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++