WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Eastern Mountain Sports

They just opened a new EMS in Collegeville! It's only a 10 minute drive for me. I was there last Saturday. I love the fact there's a hiking store in my home town!
    Has anyone else checked it out yet?
    "The wind that blows, is all that anybody knows"
    Thoreau

Would be good to have one in Harrisburg area because our local outfitter went out and there's quite a lot you can't get at Bass Pro/Gander Mountain.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Great place, next to REI, it is my favorite. I bought the biggest pack I have ever owned through them. Big enoungh for 1 months food or a small car.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

I love EMS. I have one a few towns over, they had everything I needed. And to top it all off, the store manager did a thru a few years ago! I got tons of advice from him.

Images

I got 3 pair of trail runners at the Collegeville EMS. Some of the last Vasque Velocities in the country.

I could not find any synthetic pants at Bass Pro/Gander Mountain, except the pair I bought from the clearance rack for $10.

Images

I hope the staff is friendlier and more helpful than the store in Bridgewater NJ. They could all use a course in customer service. I usually go to the NYC Soho store which is pretty big with a friendly staff, and can always find a great bargain.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Just moved to Concord, NH and love the fact that there is an EMS 5 mins from our house

Will finish someday ;)

I have not checked out the EMS in Collegeville yet, but have spent some time in the one in Warrington. Nice Stores, but I still find myself at the REI in Conshohocken more. Can't seem to beat the REI 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. I had a pair of gaiters that ripped where they attached and they replaced them no questions asked. How is EMS for backing up the products they sell?

I am working over in Phoenixville on Friday and will have to swing over and check it out!

Default EMS or REI?

If you buy from EMS dont lose your receipt! My 6 month old Keens were delaminating and after 3 visits to the store they wanted me to leave them and go home in my stocking feet! Emailed Keen and they gave me online credit for repacement. I was so happy with them I just bought another pair. REI replaced a leaky Big Agnes Insulated mattress that was over a year old. It pays to be a member.

I'm three minutes away and i'm almost on a first name basis with the people there.Its nice to have a place like that so close.Bully Bob
    I walk up hills,and then walk down

Hey Penn,did i run into you on the skippack trail last summer??{Me-short stocky guy hiking with backpack.We talked for 5-10 min.}

Images

Hey rjjones, I remember you. I did the 5 mile loop in Jan. again but when I got to the bridge it wasn't there!! It was 20 degrees out! I had to cross the Skippy in bare feet!! WOW that was cold!
    Hope your doing well.
    "The wind that blows, is all that anybody knows"
    Thoreau

Default Not a Fan.

I have been to the EMS in SoHo NYC and in Paramus NJ. Prices all seem to be greatly exaggerated and the stock is very limited. The EMS in Paramus is literally right next door to the Campmor one and only store. Not sure how EMS stays in buisness there. Workers, not very friendly or informative, and the prices were well over Campmor's. Sale items at EMS were still more expensive then regular Campmor prices.

Also, thank god that a REI opened in East Hanover NJ. Great place and when you can find them great deals. Can't beat there Garage Sales!

If you like yours, then perfect! I don't even swing by EMS anymore.
    "May the Road Rise to Meet You"- The Wolfe Tones

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sixguns01 View Post
    I have been to the EMS in SoHo NYC and in Paramus NJ. Prices all seem to be greatly exaggerated and the stock is very limited. The EMS in Paramus is literally right next door to the Campmor one and only store. Not sure how EMS stays in buisness there. Workers, not very friendly or informative, and the prices were well over Campmor's. Sale items at EMS were still more expensive then regular Campmor prices.

Also, thank god that a REI opened in East Hanover NJ. Great place and when you can find them great deals. Can't beat there Garage Sales!

If you like yours, then perfect! I don't even swing by EMS anymore.
    I agree that it's great to have REI in E. Hanover now. I prefer them to EMS. I LOVE Campmor and with EMS right next door I still avoid them. I can't imagine Campmor not having what I want and with great sales people.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

I've also had some negative experiences with EMS. I found their prices to be high, their selection to be low, and their staff to be unhelpful. Last time I went in there I didn't get ANY help from the staff. Just because I'm young, female, and don't "look like a hiker" doesn't mean I'm not here to spend money. But no worries, we've got a nice local store that while not "discount" prices has an impressive selection crammed into their tiny little store, and staff willing to help anyone who comes in, not just "real customers."

I've always had good experiences with the EMS in Lancaster. A friend and I went in there once to get a rock climbing harness and ended up spending an hour talking to a salesperson about hiking Mount Washington. Still, I agree with Ki0eh and wish they would put one in the Harrisburg area. That, or an REI.

I'm actually at a point right now where I want to give up my day job and open a outdoors gear and apparel shop of my own.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Just moved to Concord, NH and love the fact that there is an EMS 5 mins from our house

Congrats on the move, beautiful area!

EMS is a solid store but has nothing on REI. Only thing I dont like is EMS store brand stuff. Doesnt hold up and the reviews for their own products fall in comparison to the other brands. Also REI has the best return policy ever.

Virginia Tortoise

I purchased gear at the EMS in Manchester Center, VT and Lebanon, NH while sectioning in those areas. If you catch the % off sales, you can get some good deals there. The nearest store to me is their southernmost store in Ashburn, VA.

Penn,thats to funny.They couldnt have dropped that bridge in the summer,could they.Shoot me a PM if you ever want to do a day out past pulpit and the pinnecle.Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++