WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Equinox Tarp is a good idea - bugs will really bother you in a tarp come summer though - try to find an MSR Hubba on e-bay or something - they retail for $250 or so - I skip the ground cloth for tyvek - here is a link to one - good luck
    cgi.ebay.com/MSR-Hubba-Tent-/300531585892?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f914 1364#ht_547wt_1141

Images

if you have time go to Ray Gardin's web-site and make your own tarp-tent - ha

Virginia Tortoise

I recently picked up a replacement Eureka Backcountry 1 for 114 on amazon.com. My old Eureka Zephyr 1 was starting to get small holes in it after 15 years of use. It's a good, inexpensive tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    if you have time go to Ray Gardin's web-site and make your own tarp-tent - ha
    I'm assuming you mean Ray Jardine, one of the early preachers of the ultralight hiking style. Here's his website: http://rayjardine.com/
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Eureka tents have nylon rainflys

That was a big factor in my choosing the Alps Mountaineering tent, nylon tends to sag when it is wet. Alps tents use polyurethane.

I wouldn't use a Swiss Gear tent for my dog

Quote Originally Posted by IceAge View Post
    Eureka tents have nylon rainflys

That was a big factor in my choosing the Alps Mountaineering tent, nylon tends to sag when it is wet. Alps tents use polyurethane.

I wouldn't use a Swiss Gear tent for my dog
    Polyurethane is the coating, the fabric itself is probably either nylon or polyester.

I was skeptical about the SG quality at first too. But its as solidly built as any tent I've ever used, including my Tarptents or Kelty.

Images

Good catch, I meant polyester. I could go back and edit my post and make YOU look silly, but I won't!

Journal Entries
    Images

Every pole segment broke on my American Eureka Solitaire.

If you like this tent, get the Canadian version. It has 7000 series aluminum poles, and a few other differences. The poles from the Canadian version can easily be made to work with the American version. Also, if you get the Canadian version, use the seamseal, and spray it with waterproofer.

The only thing I don't like about both versions is that there is no vestibule. I wouldn't want a large vestibule. I just want a place to store my shoes next to my tent without getting too much dirt in my tent.
    David Smolinski

+1...Eureka! Spitfire !...best buy for your buck.

The Solitaire is like being in a bivy sack. The Spitire 1 is slightly more money and not much heavier and gives you lots of room inside.

Journal Entries

Best is subjective. To some it may be lightest, to some it may be most bomber in winds, to some it may be best value, to some it may be most versatile., to some it may mean packs-small.

If you use trekking poles, a SMD skyscape scout is 34oz, ~37 with stakes after seam sealing, and is $125. Thats about 2.3 lbs. Meets light, cheap, packs small for sure.

I second the SMD Skyscape Scout. It is a great value for the price. A little more than you was looking to spend but well worth it.

I'll recommend the Mountain Hardwear Sprite 1. You can use it as a tent, or just the fly, footprint and poles for a lighter option. Very storm proof, but not freestanding.

Images

I have the Eureka Spitfire and I'm fully satisfied with it for the limited amount of hiking I am able to do.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Look into Tarptent Sublite. A little more money than some of the recommended tents but a LOT less weight and over 2000 miles it all adds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabon' View Post
    Look into Tarptent Sublite. A little more money than some of the recommended tents but a LOT less weight and over 2000 miles it all adds up.
    I have bought probably 10 tents in my hiking lifetime and have tried out many others but in many ways this is my favorite. Simple, lightweight, quick, suitable for 95%+ of conditions. My only real problem is I like a bugnet-only option so I rarely use it. Basically on trips where I expect some rain most nights, but not long-term torrential rain because then it's not sufficient. So for me it's a narrow window of use.

Journal Entries

One can buy a hammock for $25 (solo ) And add a sil tarp or a hammock sock for $50. And sleep better than any tent. Cheap, light, comfortable.

No brainer!
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++