WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Backpacking 101- Your Advice

So our local backpacking group & Sierra Club chapter are teaming up to teach a Backpacking 101 class. Myself & 3 of my fellow organizers are instructing it...of course we're going to cover the basics but I thought I'd go to you all experts on whiteblaze and ask...if you were teaching the class, what would you be sure that your students knew before they left?

Images

The all important, no hands in the gorp bag.
    ...God's Country, and Scotch.

We have a similar course in my area. I won't attend or teach because they focus too much on carrying tons of "safety" gear. I don't want to backpack carrying a ton of weight for all the what-if scenarios and I don't want to teach others to hike that way. So, if you can, teach some lightweight backpacking techniques so that people can opt to reduce some excess weight in exchange for knowledge (such as proper campsite selection, multiple use, etc.) that would be a good thing in my opinion.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I second sbhikes' suggestion. I'd also talk about multi-use items; avoid fixating on gear initially; selecting the right footwear; and how to read a map enough to find where you are and how to bail in an emergency.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

foot wear is the most important gear followed by pack, shelter and sleeping bag

First question is what you're assuming about attendees. That they've never slept outdoors (or at least some haven't)? That they have or have not ever day hiked? That they are or are not familiar at least with basic equipment and terminology?

As Piper said, it also depends very much on what you want to teach them.

IMO, the key thing is to avoid teaching any one persons biases or any one "style" (to include ultra lightweight) as the one and only correct way.

The issue with teaching just traditional, fairly heavyweight and "be safe through more gear" approach is how so many people sort of "anchor" on the first thing their told. ("Anchoring" is a psychological term you can look up on line ...). I've had and witnessed a number of arguments where the whole thrust of one persons position is "When I was first taught, I was told that ...". I.e., that somehow the first version of something presented to you is somehow inherently correct and not subject to challenge or modification.

Thus IMO it's a big responsibility teaching a beginner class at anything. Inevitably, as folks gain experience they learn nuances and modify or simply discard a lot of rules of thumb that are given as handy references to beginners --- and some beginners find they just can't let go of those initial training wheels.

As to the specifics to teach --- heck, just find multiple books that you respect on the topic and crib their list. Personally, I would ensure that I'm looking at some lightweight-focused books, such as Ryan Jordan's.

I would also include a section on how to assemble a good set of backpacking gear on the cheap, a set that needn't weigh a ton.

Best of luck with this!
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Images

I have a hiking 101 on gear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00QaUx156UY

perhaps this could help you?

Raul

I usually review the LNT Principles and expand from there. Stress the importance of monitoring the weather (Chesapeak, VA). Review some of the info that can be gleaned from a topo map. Have examples of using the internet to gather information on trail conditions, water sources. Urge them not to completely rely on anything that takes batteries. Have some backpacks with 15#, 30#, 45# they can put on and walk up/down steps and see how it changes their center of balance. Review the rule of 3s - 3 minutes w/o air, 3 hours w/o shelter in hypothermic conditions, 3 days without water and 3 weeks without food. Suggest they practice using their gear at home before hitting the trail. Note that renting/borrowing gear may be an option.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

Images

Default What I wished I had learned

As a relatively novice hiker, here is what I wish I had learned

• I take a different view than the other folks who have responded thus far. I had read several books and discussion forums on how to pack light - which is what I did - or thought I did. Stupid me.. I was not prepared for the cold nights, not enough water, not enough food, and bad shoes.. Hindsight being 20/20, I wished I had carried more and then figured out for myself what to drop and what not to. What I am trying to say is teach them the carry the basics, but guide them to figure out for themselves what they can and cannot live without.

• As much as the thought of a hiking a trail sounds romantic, it is not.. It is hard work. It is continuing along when your body says stop - especially for a beginner, but if you want to make it through the trip, you better keep moving. I would teach them to pace themselves - don't underestimate the trail or over-estimate your capabilities.

• Take a series of small hikes - even day hikes before you tackle an overnight or multi-day hike.. Again this has to do with confidence (or over-confidence).. I am in relatively good health and thought I could do a multi-day hike without any problems.. Man, was I wrong.. my body was hurting several days after the hike - it sure hurt my ego

• Go with an experienced hiker/friend who can show you the ropes - on the trail training... Two of my friends who had experience hiking showed me the ropes. I am grateful for them to saving my a**

• After the hike write down, within a day or so, what you would do differently. This to me is the most valuable lesson. We make mistakes and learn from them..

Thanks

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I used to lead a Beginners backpacking trip every year.

I'd have them read this doc:
    http://www.pmags.com/backpacking-a-beginners-primer

A few days before, I'd look over their gear...

That weekend, we went backpacking.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'd get into some trail stories to get people motivated to go for it. Gear is fine but without motivation, the hike don't go nowhere. Pictures etc. I'd also share a little nitty-gritty too what its like out there and not glamorize it either. That it's tough sure, but the most rewarding adventure you can take just a short distance from home.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I show them different types of packs, bed rolls, bags, stoves, filters, etc. and explain the good/bad of each. Then I have a display of MY WHAT WORKS FOR ME standard backpack gear and a photo (8x10's) exhibit of my favorite twelve photos. Then I answer questions for an hour and refer them to Trailjournals and Whiteblaze for more info. Lastly I invite them to go out for a hike in-hike out overnight to a primitve site.

Always put everything back into your pack in the place where it belongs.
    You should be able to find anything, within seconds in the pitch dark with no light.
    Takes being on the trail a while but then comes instinctively.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

There is no right way to back pack! I would not bring my personal gear in to show them..unless you have three different instructors with three completely different setups...if all of you are UL fanatics then you will produce a new crop of UL fanatics that are busy trimming straps and filing zipper pulls down to a nub rather than a group of people that are willing to go out and enjoy the outdoors at their pace and comfort level.

I would focus on not so much a minimalist/ultra light weight approach but more of a mid weight approach.

By that I mean: carry gear so you are comfortably prepared for things. For example the F/A kit should have more than 2 bandaids and a patch of moleskin but does not need to be a full blown field surgery kit with sutures and such. Most folks understand an ace bandage or roll of tape can be used to hold a bandage offer an unfortunate cut or burn but can also be used to help splint a twisted ankle so you can get off the mountain a little esier. No amount of moleskin and bandaids are going to do that.

I would present them not with what you think is a good shelter but the options with honest pros and con. for example a regular backpacking tent: a pro would be complete enclosure but a con would be condensation or the possibly the weight, tarp tents are lighter but typically open on teh bottom, hammocks can be even lighter but you need stuff to tie off on and soem folks don't like sleeping in one. Those are all non judgemental statemenst that even here on WB can't be disagreed with. Every basic class of gear including the shelter, sleeping bag, stove and pack all have options..there are a few basic options and there are the pros an cons of each...that is the tact I would take.

They need to think about it and try what they are going to be comfortable with. Explain that to them, they should not buy gear and expect that it will be the last thing they ever buy for backpacking. As they get more experienced they may find they are ok with a floorless tarp tent to shave a half a pound or whatever...or they may not but they know they have the option.

outside all that gearhead stuff I would focus on techniques/skills like LNT, how to pack, how to be wear a pack, pack fit, site selection, planning and some cooking.

Above all don't instill them with the attitude that their way is the "right" way. Its only right for them!
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

My main concern is getting the people out there... touch on the gear BASICS..but that's it.

For me, I always did a 5 mile hike to a beautiful campsite. Made a fire and brought in some wine.

I wanted people to develop of a love of backpacking. Making gear the emphasis is a great way to kill the love of hiking..or to make sure you have only Enginerds on your hike!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Backpacking is the art of making do. The outdoors are great but there are far easier ways to enjoy them than to strap on 30 pounds and go a week without a shower. This doesn't mean an UL approach but it means you will either make do with carrying 8 ounces or you will make do without a Kindle. You will either make do with a tent that weighs 4 lbs and is free standing and double walled or you will make do with a tent that is 2lbs and has condensation.

Beyond that philosophical bull**** I would say know what absolutely has to be kept dry and know how to keep it that way.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I used to lead a Beginners backpacking trip every year.

I'd have them read this doc:
    http://www.pmags.com/backpacking-a-beginners-primer

A few days before, I'd look over their gear...

That weekend, we went backpacking.
    I like that approach. Focus on the backpacking and not on the talking.

I've had interest in doing something like this off-and-on. What usually turns me off is that I don't want to be held responsible if someone gets hurt. What did you do about that issue?
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I like that approach. Focus on the backpacking and not on the talking.

Yep. I wanted to make sure people had good, basic gear (no blue jeans, not carrying ginormous packs, made sure the packs fit OK) and kept the emphasis on the enjoyment. A quick overview I found is all people really need. I purposely did not tell them about lightweight vs. heavy weight, or drone on tarps vs tents. As I've said before: Gear is the least important part of backpacking.

A short hike of only five miles is quite the accomplishment for someone who has never backpacked (oi even camped) before.

Add in some good company, a beautiful hike to a gorgeous place, a nice fire (I must admit, I do love a campfire when I can can. So do many other people it seems) and I tend to haul in a box o' wine. We do the talking then!

The people enjoy the hike. They are not overwhelmed with details. As Lone Wolf says "It's just walking". Why make it more complicated?

The advantage of an organized beginners trip is that many people do not want to plunge into something they have not done before. An organized trip with someone who is comfortable, knowledgeable and patient can be a good way to experience something that they normally would not try on their own. (Of course, they get stuck with me...so there goes that theory! )

I am proud to say one woman on one of my trips (who never camped before!) ended up doing solo trips and even did the JMT!!!!!! Ain't that cool?

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I've had interest in doing something like this off-and-on. What usually turns me off is that I don't want to be held responsible if someone gets hurt. What did you do about that issue?
    Good point.

The outdoor group I used to be active with (mainly single people in their 20s and early 30s. Like most of my friends, I am now at a different stage. So it goes!), was loosely organized. Technically, we were not a group (no membership dues, no central organization, no real leaders...just people who organize) but a group of friends who happen to communicate via a website. Similar to the various Meet Up groups or say people getting together for a hike from WhiteBlaze.

I guess anyone can sue me (take my truck with 112000 miles on it ???? ), but not being an official group, less of a leg to stand on. You give full consent to whatever happens. But, I am not a lawyer, so take that for what it is worth!
    Last edited by Mags; 03-03-2011 at 21:30.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

I would tell them to get a bag and a sleeping pad and start sleeping outside every night in the yard or on the deck. It takes a while to get used to sleeping on a Thermarest/Ridgerest/Ensolite/Evazote whatever.

Images

In addition to what all these good people have said, please teach some forest ethics and respectful practices like:

general leave no trace principals - more than just packing it out

respect and protection for the forest, watercourses, and woodlands

that noise pollution is offensive too - keeping quiet - no cell phone chatter on the trail, music and bright laptops in the shelter

have fun.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++