WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What shirt do you hike in?

I'm struggling to decide what kind of shirt to hike in for my thru. I'm starting in Georgia the first week of April. I have convertible pants, probably just wearing the shorts - but not sure if my arms are going to get too cold in short sleeves. I'm thinking a lightweight pullover long sleeve? Thoughts? Obviously when it heats up I'll just be in a synthetic t...

I thought about using my Cap 2 baselayer pullover, but I was hoping to just use that after hiking in camp to stay warm. And not sweaty. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Images

I use the REI Sahara shirt year round. It breaths well when it's hot, yet helps keep me warm when it's cool. It's easy to roll the sleeves up/down, dries quick, and doesn't weigh much if I toss it in my pack.

I like Mountain Hardwear Wicked polos. You can find them on eBay regularly for $16-$17 shipped.

I just hike in short sleeve cotton t-shirts. It usually warms up pretty good during the day, plus you're hiking so no need for a long sleeve for hiking. If it is windy and cold you're gonna want to put on a windbreaker anyway, regardless if you're wearing a long or short sleeve shirt. For night time I usually wear some type of long sleeve longjohn-type shirt that is only for night use, not hiking in.

Images

Short sleeve wool t-shirt, Icebreak 150-wt. If it's chilly I put on a single layer ultralight wind shirt. Very useful.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I used a Rail Riders shirt similar to the ecomesh shirtbut one more traditionally styled like a button-down shirt. The reason I like a long-sleeved shirt is you can roll up the sleeves and make a short-sleeved shirt if you want, and roll them down to make a long-sleeved shirt. I was able to wear this shirt in a range of temperatures spanning from the high 40s to the low 100s without adding or subtracting any other clothing. I also find the big pockets handy.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I started out in a wool s/s T-shirt but eventually switched to synthetic because I felt it dried much quicker. Sure, wool is better with the stink factor, but on the AT you can do laundry every 3-4 days or so.

When I hike I just wear a Capilene 1 or 2 long sleeved baselayer. If I need additional warmth then I will just throw on my Marmot windshirt.

I find it difficult to hike in anything more than this because I often over-heat.

The other option is bring two tops-- one short sleeved and one long sleeved and wear them together if you need sleeves.

Images

Outdoor Research wool blend t-shirts. Feels like really light cotton , amazing shirts, hands down my favorite.
    -milkman

got soul?

Took some time, but I finally found some long sleeve poly shirts at Walmart that weren't the body-hugging style. On sale for around $10.

Drop into your local big-box retailer (ie Walmart, Target) and buy a synthetic t-shirt in the athletic clothing section. No need to drop the big bucks at REI to get the same thing with a different logo on it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Smile My choice

A long sleeve 100% linen shirt, with multiple pockets, I got at a thrift store for about $6.

Cool in the summer, warm in the winter, incredibly comfortable.

The HUGE problem with linen that it wrinkles far worse than any other fabric. But, on the trail, I don't much care.

I've got a synthetic t-shirt that I really like. I've also come to really like my arm warmers for when its cooler but not cold enough for a jacket. I use them for cycling and running and have found that they make sense for backpacking as well. They are wind resistant and warm and I find they are often easier to regulate my body temp when its cold do to the ease with which they can be adjusted up or down on my arms or simply taken off completely.
    There is a certain joy in exhaustion.

While hiking during the colder months I like to use my Cap 2 long sleeve with my R1 layered over it. During the warmer months, last year I wore an OR short-sleeve Dune shirt but this year I am getting an Ex Officio Air Strip Light long sleeve shirt (in white) and give that a go. Heard nothing but good things about them, and there isn't much else at REI that I need but I gotta spend that dividend...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

In cool weather I use a polyester or wool long sleeved zip neck shirt (ventilation is key once you or the weather warm up). Over that I might layer a fleece vest or light fleece jacket, and if it's windy I like to wear a Marmot Ion hooded full zip wind breaker.
    You'll appreciate the adjustability that full zip layers add on days when the temperature fluctuates wildly (often due to to elevation gain/loss or cloud cover).
    If you use an insulation layer with a built in wind layer you will lose some of the versatility of the system.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I like to hike in a loose fitting wool sweater, and shorts. Weight of sweater depends on the season. A skin layer will go underneath when needed, but I prefer to hike in the loose layer. Not sure what I would do in hotter climates. Defer to others on that.

Thanks for the suggestions. I liked the loose fitting wool sweater idea until I weighed the thing - over 1 1/2 pounds. I think I'll go to Target and see what I can find for cheap, last resort drop by REI.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I liked the loose fitting wool sweater idea until I weighed the thing - over 1 1/2 pounds. I think I'll go to Target and see what I can find for cheap, last resort drop by REI.
    Target is great-- they have Champion brand synthetic shirts for around $15. Goodwill, Arc and other charity stores are also great places to look-- synthetic shirts are in abundance and all under $7 or so.

If you have an Army Surplus store then I am sure you could also find some Columbia or similar synthetic shirts there to for not very much $$.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++