WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Post Whiteblaze: Why do you backpack?

Well, I've figured out my reasons for loving hiking, backpacking, and just everything associated with being out in the wilderness, but I wanted to hear your reasons.

When so many would see us as fools, as aimless wanderers, why do we do it? Why do we go out into the woods carrying heavy packs day after day and just walk, over the grueling climbs, in the rain, in the heat and cold, through the dirt, in the vast woods devoid of civilization -- why do we backpack? Looking for some interesting answers.
    Class of 2015, I'll see you soon.

Perhaps you worry too much about what other folks think. I do it because I want to.

For me it is to calm my mind. After hours of walking I feel empty of thought. Quite unusual in our society I think.

Hash House Harrier

Because it is simple. In the real world, possessions and responsibilities and needs pile up and tangle up. On the trail, you have less to keep track of, and your needs and responsibilities are straightforward and clear. It's a vacation for your mind.

Images

Because it immerses me in nature and I can feel the trappings of modern civilization slip away. It gives me a feeling of freedom I don't get in my every day life.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

aka Kudzu
    Images

I hike to earn street creds with hot chicks.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

It helps me remember that I am part of the earth. Plus everything tastes better when you have spent the day in the woods.

Images

Talking with my coworkers this afternoon, on the way out the door for a week long hike. None of them understood why I would want to spend a week by myself. (Not to mention sleeping in the woods, fighting off marauding bears, etc.)

I hike because it recharges my spirit.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I hike because I feel free when I do. I have all that I need on my back and I head out to where ever I want to when I want to and how I want to do it.

I love it. I love the breeze on my face, the exercise, hiking through rain, eating otherwise unhealthy food under my tarp, making fire, watching the sunrise and sunsets, seeing so many stars, watching animals, etc.

Journal Entries
    Images

I like to poop in the woods, pick my nose in the woods, and and and.......
    I don't know

Images

Default Why do I backpack ?

I have no other discernible talent.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Because it's the only sport where the ultimate goal is to find a nice place to sit with a pretty view.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

I'm trying to escape the guy following me wearing the clown suit and mask. If I could just hike a litle faster. See you on the trail.

Images

those rare glimpses of solitude of my mind... deep within me lies an un-dying urge to reconnect with creation and escape the world that man has built. It’s a vacation for the tired mind, It rejuvenates your psyche. Really getting to see this world for what it was meant to be, It’s amazing. Inner reflection, clean air, deeper understanding. Beauty. A brief look into something much larger than yourself. Seeing the forest from the trees.
    ...God's Country, and Scotch.

Cause I'm a masochist and can't get enough pain and boredom. Also pretty views and peacefulness.

Images

Nothing like a good nights sleep.

I backpack so I can get to beautiful places I can't get to on day hikes or driving. I also enjoy the exercise and being closer to nature. My pack is light so I enjoy the walking. I love seeing what's around the next corner.

I loved long distance hiking because there was always another corner. The trail seemed endless. I could greedily see what was around the next corner all day every day and it seemed like it never would end. There are a lot of benefits to long distance hiking that you can't get any other way and you won't know what they are until you do it.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

because I'm not allowed to ride my motorcycle to get there.

geek

I always liked the answer, "because its there"!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by Railroad King View Post
    Cause I'm a masochist and can't get enough pain and boredom. Also pretty views and peacefulness.
    yeah... you pretty much nailed it. Why do I backpack? Because it's hard as ****.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++