WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Airleak in the HH

I am still "yard testing" my HH Expedition Asym.I have developed an
    air leak as of late between the top cover and the bottom cover.In other
    words you can see out the netting for an inch or better down the right
    side of the hammock.It let's in alot of cold air! I tried readjustments to no
    avail so i got out my "redneck repair kit" and duck taped the top cover to the
    under cover lines.The undercover on the HH is the only thing on the planet that i have seen that duck tape wont stick to.
    Anyone got any other ideas about what im doing wrong? Will test again
    tonight to see what happens.Stay tuned.
    Cheers to all.
    Oldfivetango

I should be receiving my undercover/underpad system this week. I'll set it up and see if I have the same problem. I have the ultralight backpacker asym, I don't think that it is as wide as the expedition model. Please continue to provide feedback under this thread, I am very interested in what you learn using the supershelter. What temps have you had it down to yet?

Default My HH temp test

In response to your temp question for my HH Expedition Asym.-i got
    down to 29F in December in an unrealistic test because i had a spare
    bag under me and heavy clothes you wouldnt be wearing on the trail.
    Under actual trail dress and load i would say that 30 F is about
    all i can stand.I do like the HH pad that they sell-it stays in place just
    fine for me.Takes alot of clothes for an old guy like me even with a 0 rated
    SLumberjack which is either Polarguard or maybe Delta guard(sound right?)
    Any colder and i would have to place an order with jacksrbetter and get
    their underquilt for sure.I am put off somewhat by the expense and any
    extra weight of any kind but may have to do it anyway-you get what you
    pay for dontchaknow.
    If i can get my airleaks taken care of and it will ever get down to
    normal for January around here(like in the low 30's) i will be back in the
    testing business.Stay tuned.
    Oldfivetango

Default Air Leak In The Hh

the air leak from the sides may be due to the fact of not laying at the correct angle. if you lay too straight in the hammock, it will have a tendency to open at the sides. also make sure that you have all the lines in the correct possitions & the hammock or the covers not twisted in some way.
    back in dec. i tested my hh in 14 degrees on several nights. i used a 10 degree down sleeping bag, light weight longs on top & bottom, & a bava. i actually sweated a little. i also took the supershelter out two weeks ago, for 4 days. one night, the temp went down to 30 with 15-20 mph winds. still i had no problems keeping warm.

Default HH super shelter fit

I've had my super shelter (used with the UL Asym Backpacker model) out a couple time, the coldest has been 45 degrees. That's about as cold as it's gotten down here in Southern Florida. I was comfortable, but not sure it would be comfortable at anything lower than 40 degrees, without additional insulation.

I think maybe I have a problem with the fit of the super shelter. I notice there is a lot less room in the hammock with the super shelter on. I've reviewed the Hennessey Hammock videos and instuctions, I'm pretty sure I've not made any mistakes setting it up. It seems to me the super shelter should be just a tad larger than the hammock it's set up on, not smaller. By being smaller, I am compressing the insulation and there is no air space what-so-ever between the hammock and the super shelter.

Anyone else have the same problem? Thanks,
    Don't waste time telling people what you are doing or what you are going to do. Results have a way of informing the world.

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

Default ya need some air flow

I have a Cocoon and a homemade storm cover. The cover is a very tight weave with some type of coating on it - is only slightly breathable. I find that I need quite a bit of air flow to avoid moisture problems. In cooler temps I like ventilation but can't tolerate much wind blowing through. Fortunately I made the top of the cover adjustable so that I can almost close it for a breeze on one side while opening the lee side a bit more. I modified it further by adding velcro down the center-line above my head for even more venting. I also think you might try laying in a slightly different position, and make sure your tree hugging ropes are really tight.

I am only going to use the undercover/underpad system on the hammock. I experienced a lot of condensation on the bug net, and adding the top cover will only increase the condensation. The HH website stated that the top cover was for dry cold climates. With this in mind, does the underpad keep the bottom of the hammock warm, and to what temps, when did you start experiencing the cold butt syndrome. Also, has anyone added additional insulation between the hammock and undercover? Thanks for the info.

I tried out the HH supershelter, less the overcover, last night. During my testing, according to the weather channel the low was 35 with a "feels like" of 28. The underpad alone was inadequate. I added a ¾ length thermo-rest, which helped, but I still got cold spots on my back and but. Tonight, I am going to try an old 40 degree Wal-Mart sleeping bag between the undercover and hammock. I plan to double it over from my hips up to my back. For now, I’ll call it a 3-season supershelter.

so far i've had my hh down to 20 about five times. my setup is a 15deg vision, 3/8 closed foam cell pad from target, an automobile windshield reflector also from target. i sleep in a poly bottom, under armour "heat gear" shirt, and a balclava. foam pad on bottom, then reflector pad-alum side up seems to work best. experienced very little condensation and have been quite warm. hope this helps

Default Its All About the Angle

Neckbone is rigth- it's all in the angle in which i lay that makes the
    difference.The SLIGHTEST DEVIATION from the correct angle and the
    gap pops open on the right side letting in a cold and disruptive draft.
    This is a poor design IMHO so the duct tape will come out again today
    to see if i can rectify this shortcoming.I move and make slight changes in
    sleeping position (pain is why i discovered the HH in the first place) so it is
    mostly impossible for me to lay still in the correct postition all night.
    I do note that when the position is correct and the gap is not present
    i am quite comfortable in the HH.Will provide specific temps later.
    Cheers to all,
    Oldfivetango

Default Airleak is Fixed

Great News! I finally figured out what i was doing wrong to get the
    airleak in the firstplace.Maybe i was thinking i was following the setup
    instructions correctly the first time but ,then again, maybe not.
    I took off the duct tape and rethreaded the top cover so that it goes
    down into the bottom cover before the pull string exits the bottom cover hole.
    That way when i lay in the thing the top is being pulled tight along with everything else and -presto- no glaring gap to let daylight(and cold wind) get
    past the top cover.It still looks like moisture would run down into the bottom
    cover if my oversized fly doesnt quite do the job.I doubt condensation would be significant.
    Anyways,it went down to 28 last night and i was mostly comfortable-the challenge comes at 22 degrees tonight.If i can remain comfortable at that
    temp then i will be satisfied that a late March kickoff date would be safe.
    Stay tuned.
    Cheers to all,
    Oldfivetango

Oldfivetango,

What were you using for bottom insulation? Where did you put the insulation? Between the hammock and undercover or in the hammock?

Default Hammock Insulation

Quote Originally Posted by rpettit
    Oldfivetango,

What were you using for bottom insulation? Where did you put the insulation? Between the hammock and undercover or in the hammock?
    Sorry to be so long getting back to you on this one.
    All i use is the standard HH cell pad located between the hammock and the undercover.My bag is a 0 rated slumberjack-it's surprising how uncomfortable a blast of cold air can be if the top cover gapes open any.Because of extreme condensation problems lately i have foregone the top cover altogether and cant say that i have really missed it.Now i dont feel a "cold spot" as everything is the same coldness with the top removed.It is my understanding from SGT Rock that JRB makes a poly pro top and bottom cover that wont sweat so that is what i will end up with in the end.
    Cheers to all,
    Oldfivetango
    Keep on keeping on.

Did you experience condensation issues in the undercover when you used it without the overcover? I am going out this weekend to experiment with the undercover and a 2" open cell foam pad as additional insulation to augment the hennessy pad. I freeze my butt off with the hennessy pad alone.

Default Condensation

Quote Originally Posted by rpettit
    Did you experience condensation issues in the undercover when you used it without the overcover? I am going out this weekend to experiment with the undercover and a 2" open cell foam pad as additional insulation to augment the hennessy pad. I freeze my butt off with the hennessy pad alone.
    To answer your question- i think the immediate answer is no.Once the top was off(which IS recommended for cold dry conditions only) i couldnt really say that i missed it.The last night i slept "out"(ie out in the yard) it was a condition where the dewpoint and airtemp were about the same so what we had was a little meteorological condition known as "saturation" or "fawg"
    as us Southern boys would call it.In that case everything in the world gets soaked.There was condensate on the underside of the silnylon oversize tarp which would turn loose and drop onto the netting when a heavy enough raindrop would hit it about sunup the next morning.
    I have tried sleeping on top of a 3/4 T-rest pad in the hammock under me
    but with my back condition being what it is i had to give that up. i think it interferes with the natural "lay" of the hammock that my back responds to so well.Best answer i have found is heavy long handle sleep wear covered with a layer of microfleece,fleece vest,fleece neck gaiter,wool watch cap,light gloves,and extra heavy wool socks.I cheat a little in my bag with a one of those $10 survival blanket material sleeping bags all wadded up in the bottom of my bag in the foot which is my emergency backup sleep system in case everything goes to pot.What it does is trap air around the feet which is a good thing but in all honesty i would expect some "fluffed up" newspaper would do the same thing;but you couldnt count on paper if everything were to get wet.
    I did get by nicely down to 17 degrees F by lowering the HH down to about
    10 inches or so off the ground.My weight then pulled it down on top of my
    pad(winshield relector in this case) and i was able to sleep on the ground with the torso still comfortably elevated resting on one side and was warm as toast.It was uncanny at how comfortable one can get that way which really makes the middle of the night nature call a dreaded event.
    Im planning on going to the Jacks R Better poly pro system which is quite breathable but not as puncture resistant.With something under the hammock whilst on the ground it should not really matter and one would think just about any conditions would be in a reasonable comfort zone moisture or no moisture since it is supposed to breathe.
    Anyway-the HH is a great invention and totally eliminate the pillow issue
    and is not unbearable for an oldie like me when its time to go to ground level.Sorry to run on and on but hope this gives you some useful info.
    Cheers,
    Oldfivetango
    Keep on keeping on.

++ New Posts ++