WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

cyclocrosser

Default Sierra Design Lightning

Just got a Sierra Design Lightning for Christmas.

Trail weight: 3 lbs. 15 oz
    Pack Weight: 4 lbs. 9 oz

What is the difference between trail and pack weight?

And the 53" by 84.5" 2 person tent is cramped for a skinny 6'2" person and someone else.

Registered Troll
    Images

You don't need a 4 lb. tent. To each his own but in my opinion unless you're car camping that's too much weight. Thank the person who gave it to you but give it back so they can get their money back and get a tarp, Tarptent or hammock.

Images

If the weight can be split between two hikers it isn't that bad. If it is cramped it might not be ideal though, unless you are really close with the other person in the tent.

Marcus

hey, could you throw the tent in your car and bring it to school tomorrw? or whenever?

Images

Here is a non-BS answer to a legit question.
    Pack weight is everything the tent came with when you bought it - Tent body, fly, poles , all stakes , guy lines, instructions, warranty card, stake bag, pole bag, main bag, etc, etc, etc.
    Trail weight (or minimum weight) is the tent body, fly, poles, and minimum number of stakes needed to set up the fly.

Marcus

Thanks for clearing up on the Packed Weight and Trail Weight, however Sierra Design also uses the term FastPack Weight. the Lightning is 2lbs. 7oz fastpack weight. what does this term refer to?

Images

Fast pack weight - using the footprint,poles and fly set up tarp-style (leave the body at home).

Quote Originally Posted by steve hiker
    You don't need a 4 lb. tent. To each his own but in my opinion unless you're car camping that's too much weight. Thank the person who gave it to you but give it back so they can get their money back and get a tarp, Tarptent or hammock.
    For three season trips we don't need any shelter. You can sleep in your clothing leaning against a tree or rock. But various shelters often make trips more enjoyable. Is 4lbs too much for a tent? It depends on what sort of shelter you want. When I am going solo am now typically using a 9oz Spinnshelter which makes my Tarptent Squall look heavy. But I also own a SD Lightning. Why? Because there are times that a freestanding tent, with double walls and a bathtube floor is really nice. For example, when I am backpacking on the beach with my daughter. Free standing is nice because because I don't need to use sand-anchors. Double wall tent is nice because 8 years old girls sometime forget not to rub against the wall which is often wet with a single wall shelter. Bathtube floors can be really nice when you are restricted to established camping spots which have hardpack ground which has standing water when it rains, etc.

4lbs for a two person, double walled freestanding tent, is actually pretty amazing. Such tents didn't exist until a few years ago. Sure, you can go lighter. A solo size poncho/tarp can be something like 7oz. A single walled Tarptent Squall is around 30oz for the tarp and ground cloth or floor. I certain think Henry's Tarptents (especially the version 2 models) are really great. In most cases I take my Squall rather than my Lighting. But there are times and places where a tarptent (even though they deliver great performances) might not be the ideal shelter.

cyclocrosser

Yes I will be dividing the tent with a partner. So I don't think 2lbs or slightly under 2 is bad.

Images

Incidentally, Trail weight for most manufacturers does not include the tent stakes.
    I bought the forerunner to that tent from an SD Rep - What SD calls the Clip Ultraflash. I don't think it really made it to the market, but it is the clip flashlight with sylnylon fly. Extremely light ~ 3lb 9 oz and it is great in bug season. IIRC, They decided to change the model completely and go with a freestanding tent with CF poles.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

++ New Posts ++