WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tennessee in March?

Hi guys new sorry if this question seems dumb, I tried searching but didnt find any info. How would the East Tennessee App Trail be around next week? Currently looking at a 2 or 3 day trip in Georgia, i live in fl, over my spring break with my Brother and Dad, both in military and have some hiking expirience. My concern is that the Georgia section will be mostly in the woods and not as scenic as Tennessee, am i wrong? Obvioulsy im not expecting it to be warm at either and we are monitoring the weather and preparing accordingly. None of us have ever gone hiking in the snow so fore safety's sake any snow would probably eliminate Tennessee or Georgia for that matter. Thanks guys

Images

March would be a good time to hike the AT in GA. It gets a lot hotter in GA during the summer cuz the elevations are lower. The views in GA (and there are many) would be better cuz the trees haven't leafed yet.

I hope you have some low temp rated bags and thermal unnerware.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Depends on where you are going. The highest peaks will still have some snow. The Roans got another snow a couple of nights ago. If you pick a section that doesn't have really high peaks, you will be snow free for the most part, BUT then you miss the good vistas.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Images

Supposed to snow more tomorrow w/wind cold temps here in town.It will be cold on the high peaks....

How is the weather throught the Smokies right now? Any snow still left on the ground?

Images

Lightbulb

It simply all depends on the local weather, which in March can be just about anything. I've had some great hiking weather in March on the AT in Tennessee. I've also had snow and bitter cold at elevation. So, you just have to check and double-check various forecasts at the time.

As far as Georgia being hot in the summer, it's the same thing. I hiked Springer-to-Neels Gap over July 31 to August 3, 2003. My zipper thermometer never once went over 68 degrees that I saw. Georgia will be lower elevation with lots of spring wildflowers in March and the valleys starting to green. It would be beautiful, depending on whether you call that beauty. I do.

Like politics, all weather is local.

As far as actual trail conditions, check with the local train maintaining club. Have a great hike, wherever you go!

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 03-08-2011 at 11:05.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Fri, Sat, and Sun - sunny and highs in the 50's and 60's.

Going to re-hike Erwin to Hot Springs with the wife this weekend.

after looking at the weather and speaking to the guides at my university's outdoor rec who ar e planning a trip there, we ve decided to do the A.T. along the Tenn NC border. Now we just have to pick a 2-3 day trail section. Thanks for the input guys

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rivrod View Post
    after looking at the weather and speaking to the guides at my university's outdoor rec who ar e planning a trip there, we ve decided to do the A.T. along the Tenn NC border. Now we just have to pick a 2-3 day trail section. Thanks for the input guys
    Johnson City's WJHL weather for 3-10 is rain to snow w/4-6" in higher elevations along TN/NC border......There's a few inches of snow from a few days ago still laying around...

i was using weather channel, is that not reliable? also the guide looked at me funny when i asked if there was any snow, he said nc had been fairly warm lately, is there a portion within the great smokey mountains park i could be confusing with the A.T? I know ther are other trails but i couldve sworn he said a portion of the A.T. in the park

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rivrod View Post
    i was using weather channel, is that not reliable? also the guide looked at me funny when i asked if there was any snow, he said nc had been fairly warm lately, is there a portion within the great smokey mountains park i could be confusing with the A.T? I know ther are other trails but i couldve sworn he said a portion of the A.T. in the park
    The weather channel uses cities for forecasts and not too many cities or towns at higher elevations..Even Hot Springs &Damascus are at fairly low elevations.Read some recent entries from "Trail Journals",this might help some.One hiker posted 4-14" snow in places between I-40-H0t Springs,mostly above 4000ft.As of this morning local weather is for 4-6" snow tonite.Saturday's it might be 60 degrees in town which means 50 in the mtns....

ive read conflicting accounts but i didnt look at elevation form these different accounts,(duh) so ill look at it again, looks like around jerry cabin is fine but thats like what 4500ft? we can deal with 40s and 50s we just havent ever hiked in snow and obviously safety comes to mind. we wanted to hit clingers dome thugh from what weve heard this time of year isnt the best so havent raised hopes too much. We may do a trail a little lower within the great smoky mountains park itself. just looking for a fun 3 day hike. Thanks again for the info

You don't really know what the weather's going to be like until it gets here. Forecasts for mountain weather have a pretty big margin of error. If they say 6" of snow that can vary from a dusting to 2 feet depending on where you're standing.

In Maine, every time they said it was going to rain it didn't and every time they said it wasn't, it did!

Youre on the A.T. in tenn. right now arent you 10k? Would you guys recommend it?

I'm about 90 trail miles from the Smokies in Erwin. Right now it's just raining and here in the valley they're calling for an inch or so of snow tonight and tomorrow. Friday night, clear and cold and sunny Sat and Sun.

See the Winter storm warning here:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...2=-82.4109&e=0

ACCUMULATIONS: ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS BETWEEN 2 AND 7
    INCHES ARE POSSIBLE...MAINLY ACROSS THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS.
    LOCALLY HEAVIER AMOUNTS WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE HIGHEST
    ELEVATIONS...MAINLY ABOVE 5500 FEET

I do have an overnight hike planned for Saturday and I'd go for sure if it were just me but my wife is not a snow or rain hiker type.

Images

If you're from FL, you are going to freeze your ass off this weekend!! I live about 10 miles from Allen Gap and I can see snow on the mountains with more to come tonight. I am listening to the local news right now and they are calling for 4 to 6 inches of snow in the mountains tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by doritotex View Post
    If you're from FL, you are going to freeze your ass off this weekend!! I live about 10 miles from Allen Gap and I can see snow on the mountains with more to come tonight. I am listening to the local news right now and they are calling for 4 to 6 inches of snow in the mountains tonight.
    currently live in fl but was born and lived 8 years in germany. Snow on the ground is fine just dont want to get caught in pouring thunderstorms/sleet snowing hard.

I was born an Eskimo and ate ice-cubes for breakfast.

++ New Posts ++