WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

While it's true that it requires effort to climb any hill with a 500 foot elevation gain singling it out as tough section of the AT is a complete joke.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

I didn't think it was bad but I day-hiked it by leaving my car at Snickers Gap (North end) and cycling to the south end at Rt. 50. The bike ride took a lot more out of than the hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I didn't even know I was in that section until I was leaving it and turned around and saw a sign on a tree.

I totally don't get it.
    Same here, going northbound. Nothing noticeable about it.

its tuff compared to the surounding section i thought. it still left me rather tired. dnt kid yo self it aint no easy walk but it aint nh or maine either. hve fun the sign is a joke tho just there to make u smile.

How do we know this wasn't a joke from the beginning? Think about it. A bunch a trail maintainers get together on a weekend, they're pounding down a few beers, and one of them says "Hey - let's put up a sign saying this is the toughest stretch ever and scare the crap out of the thru hikers."
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

I found it irritating. I was feeling poorly the day I hit the roller coaster anyway, then to see that stupid sign gloating over it just rubbed me the wrong way. After a night at the Bears Den Hostel, I felt much better the next day and the last bit of the roller coaster went pretty much unnoticed.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Dreaming of a Thru-Hike! AeroGuyDC's Avatar

The term "Rollercoaster" sort of planted a seed in mind that it would be very tough. It did give me a good aerobic workout, but I think alot of it was also mental. I'll also mention that Awol mentioned in his book (Awol On the Appalachian Trail) that he thought it was a tough section of the trail...until he reached New England. Apparently the Whites made the Rollercoaster but a bunch of speed bumps. At least that was my impression.

As far as roller coasters, there are many throughout the Trail corridor more challenging than this Virginia one, even before getting to New England. Example: New York west of the Hudson from Rt. 17A outside Greenwood Lake to Bear Mountain is a lot of 400'-600' ups & downs plus some near 1,000' with steep grading. AWOL mentioned this stretch in his book and my thruhiker friend Northern Harrier said his one day 16 mile hike Rt. 17A to Fingerboard Shelter was his single toughest day until the White Mts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    not bad at all. i really don't get all the hype

I agree!

litefoot 2000

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I didn't even know I was in that section until I was leaving it and turned around and saw a sign on a tree.

I totally don't get it.
    Nor do I. I had read the hype on my walk north but I just never noticed the alleged roller coaster. Suddenly, I just found myself in Harpers Ferry, and wondering what all the talk was about.

Slo-goen- glad we didn't know about that bar or that would have been the end of my walk that day! I remember being thirsty! Agree with the others- nothing to worry about, just a bit annoyingly PUDish. Did enjoy clicking the hiking sticks together and saying "weeeee" on every hill. Wait- maybe that was why it was annoying!

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

This old fat guy did it last July when Winchester was reporting 103*. I didn't think the climbs were any worse than the gaps here in PA maybe a little longer. I found plenty of rocks and dead falls to sit and take a short break with out having to remove my pack. Bears Den was the rest I needed (the heat took its toll the third day out), and I stopped early at Blackburn just to have the famous spaghetti dinner. Best I ever had The trail was clear and easy to follow unlike some areas in PA the water was plentiful even in a sorta drought I just needed to strain it. I think I might like to do that section again in cooler weather. Oh. the shelters were all nice and there was plenty of spots between shelters to pitch a tent if i wanted.
    Alcohol was involved!

Images

My mom and me did our first section hike Front Royal- Bears Den. We were kinda scared about the rollor caoster especially with her not being a strong hiker. Easy way to put it, so slow and look at the differnces from the bottom of one hill and the next. It is so cool. I can not wait to do it again but this time doing the whole trail. Remember slow and steady wins the race or should I say keeps you enjoying the trail and finshing the section you set out to do.

Images

hiked it 3 time in a day when I left my pocket knife by the side of the trail about 8 miles back.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Journal Entries
    Images

It's like a walk in the park.
    I don't know

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tuswm View Post
    hiked it 3 time in a day when I left my pocket knife by the side of the trail about 8 miles back.

Ha!, that had to blow big time. I forgot my OR hat at the Fire Wardens Cabin in NH, hiked 4 miles north, was like OH $#!^! I forgot my hat. NO way was I going back for it. By the way if you find it I'd like to have it back, Ha!
    I don't know

Images

I had left it open where someone could have sat on it or stepped on it. And it was my first ever pocket knife. It was my first ever piece of camping gear.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

My bestie and I hiked it last November. I was in good shape coming off a thru, but she has been working in an office. No problems. And the views weren't bad with the leaves mostly down.. but it was a good time to be wearing blaze orange.

Images

took us almost 2.5 days to cover this section on our thru-hike attempt. ultralight packs, 30 sometin's in great shape...
    See ya when I get there.

Images

Default Roller Coaster

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    I am thinking about a 3 day hike in earl May from Ashby gap to Harppers Ferry. It includes the rollercoaster. Just how tough is this section, for an old fat guy? Switchbacks? Rocks? Or just the longest series of PUDS one can imagine?
    Just finished this section this past weekend. Lots of water as all the creeks were overflowing from the rain. The coaster was not too bad. The ride was a little harder the closer you got to HF. Lots and lots of rocks. That was my main problem. Makes it a little harder on us older guys.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++