Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: over thinking

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You always have Neel Gap to mail stuff home and Winton who will help you with your pack. Better than those hiking SOBO, I must say! But it might be good to post a gear list to eliminate ounces that leads to pounds and can make the journey more enjoyable. If you just want people to make you feel good by saying don't worry about your gear, well ok, but the feel good words might not get you far when you are dragging up Sasafrass mtn in rain with a 40 plus lb pack soaking wet. And maybe some of fears can be alleviated by listening to those who have actually done the whiole trail. I mean at this stage you certainly can't replace all your gear. But you can work on a little of it. 2 weeks is still good time to make a few corrections, if you want to, that is.

As to the hiker wearing 2 plus lb boots because of knee and ankle trouble - it will not solve it. Get fitted properly, wear the right foot wear AND insoles, exercise weak ankles with ankle strengthening and a wobble board, and for knee pain, consider a cho pat duo knee brace and watchng your pack weight (like skipping the heavy pumpkin bread and having your leg lift a 1 plus lb boot up a hill every time you stride). I have both ankle (severe) and knee issue on one leg. I went to properly fitted trail runners through a running shop with proper suerfeet insoles for support of the arch, ditched my 7 plus lb pack for a much lighter model, got a knee brace and have compeleted the trail NOBO and nearly SOBO.

There is wisdom in hearing and maybe heeding words from those who have actually hiked the trail trenches, so to speak, and who have been out there day after day for months. And who had to overcome severe obstacles (I had an MD tell me I'd never hike again after my severe ankle sprain)to see a dream reached. it not just words. Its action too.

God speed

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I just got back from 4 days on the trail in Georgia, and you are not alone. I hiked with a guy who had never backpacked. Just take 4 days of food, and start hiking north. Take your time, don't rush, and by the time you get to Neels Gap you'll know what works and what doesn't. There are always experienced hikers out there -- just ask when you want to know something. You'll be fine.

(You're not carrying some crazy 60 pound pack, are you?)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

HYOH
    Hike Your Own Hike

This is the phrase that made me want to hike the AT.

I don't speak from a great deal of hiking experience, but reading about the AT from a variety of sources, the two phrases I see the most are HYOH and YMMV (your mileage may vary). This says a great deal about how everyone's hike is different, and you can't model yourself on someone else's gear/strategy if you don't think it will work for you.

You've made 16 posts on WB, somewhere in there you must have read some threads, and probably some articles too. If not read the articles, think about them, and then make YOUR choices as to whether your comfortable walking 30 miles with your gear. 30 miles. The AT has plenty of opportunities to change gear, and once you've hiked more you'll KNOW what you need. Certainly you know you better than some hoity toity EMS salesman.

and remember "The gear doesn't carry you to Maine."

I hiked in 09 by myself & found lots of hikers so freindly that my feares was not nearly has bad has I thiught they would be. In fact I have lot of wonderful memories & lots of contacts, by the time you rech Spinger you will be hiking w/somebody the first day. Then youwill enjoy the rest of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by dropsofskywater View Post
    Hello all, I'm 14 days and counting to GA. and I think I may be freaking out. I was only a little concerned up until a couple of days ago when I went to an EMS store and the sales man did the AT last years... he crushed everything I have in my pack including my pack. I talked myself down a little by saying A) he's a sales man B) he's a gear-head (no judgment to gear-heads) So I'm sitting here with my back to all my gear and my car full of food that has to be measured and packed in maildrops thinking to myself "what did you get yourself into" I have been working 60-80 weeks mostly overnights for the past 4 months, and have put on weight because of... well because I lack self control in times of minor panic I have not cracked yet but this is my moment of weakness. I have NEVER hiked. I have wandered around the Adirondacks for small day "hikes" but nothing like THIS. my family and friends are crazy suportive and I have 97% of my ducks in a row... those damn 3%, I tell ya. All in all I think I maybe over thinking...anyone in this same boat?
    Does all of this sound familiar? Yes!!! You'll be at Walasi-yi in three days and they'll take care of you. Just do it!!

litefoot 2000

Images

Default gear jitters

I agree with Blissful about footwear. Heavy boots are hard on knees and slow you down but lots of us feel boots are necessary before we hit the trail. While taking it slow is fine in the beginning, you'll eventually realize that you've got to move faster to get to the next water source/shelter. I changed from a great pair of boots to trail runners after 200 miles. My feet and legs thanked me. I believe every pound you carry equals four pounds of weight on the knees.
    I did lots of research and used what information I thought was best. Money was a factor in some instances but I didn't skimp on a sleeping bag, backpack, or boots. I was lucky to get a used tent for a great price. Just remember, you'll be living out of your backpack and lugging it around for months. Lighter lugging IS easier.
    Don't concern yourself with the outfitter's opinions. I went back and forth to an outfitter (REI) and each salesperson had different opinions. I was dizzy with confusion and exhausted from frustration. I decided not to carry anything that was unnecessary. Some stuff is nice to have but it takes up room and adds weight. Some hikers are willing to carry extra pounds and don't eliminate special items. You'll realize what's best for you and you can pick up what you've got to have along the way.
    You're tough enough to tackle the AT so you'll do great. Just don't over-think things and save that mental energy for the trail. You'll learn as you go and your hike will be awesome. Happy trails!

Put all the stuff you intend to take in your pack and take a 5 mile stroll. If it works, don't mess with it. If it's too heavy, take something out or swap it for something ighter. Just remember, even when you get to Neels Gap and have them go through you gear, they will try to sell you lighter gear. You don't have to buy it. Use your own judgement. If what you have is working, then the lighter gear would be "nice" but not necessary. Lighter is always better, but only if you can afford it and are comfortable with it. Don't overdo your maildrops, there are plenty of places to resupply along the way. Many put stuff that they would normally have to buy in bulk (i.e. laundry detergent, medications, shampoo, etc.) in their drops, but most don't even bother with drops.

No matter what make sure your Boots/Shoes WORK and fit before you head out. Everything else is just icing on the cake and gear is subject to opinion and style.

I usualy go with the smile and nod approach with these folks.... Most of them don't know much about the gear from what I've seen and are just trying to make a sale.

[QUOTE=Stearman;1126544] Once the crowds thin out you can dump the tent.QUOTE]

Diva... Lots of helpful advice above, except this irresponsible quote. Do NOT "dump" your tent for even one night. Have it with you always. Any number of situations can occur, some in the blink of an eye, that may cause you to need immediate shelter.
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

what do you think?

JS Rainer 4250 cubic in /4.2 lb.
    NF elkhorn 4.10 lb.
    Wenzel lone elk 3.88 lb.
    Kelty sleeping pad 1.8 lb.
    Alumumie cup 2 3/4 oz
    Mess kit 7 3/8 oz
    Eppi pen 3 1/4oz
    UA long sleeve 8oz
    Fleece 11 7/8 oz
    Rain panco 11 1/8oz
    Mosquito net hat 1 1/4oz
    Gloves 1 5/8oz
    Mittens 2 1/2oz
    UA winter hat 2 1/8oz
    Shorts/underpants 3 5/8 oz
    Gators 1 7/8 oz
    EMS base layer pants 5 oz
    First aid kit 5 3/8 oz
    Toiletry kit 5 7/8 oz
    Trowel 1 7/8 oz
    Compas/ matchstick 1 1/4 oz
    Bra 2 5/8oz
    Base layer shirt 5 5/8 oz
    Light weight fleece 7 7/8 oz
    Kelty head lamp 3 1/8 oz
    Boot warmers 5 1/4 oz
    Towel 2 1/2 oz
    Camelbak 6 1/4 oz
    Rope 6 oz
    Waterproof iPod holder 2 5/8 oz
    Camera 6 5/8 oz
    Camcorder 5 oz
    Cell phone 3 3/8 oz
    iPod 3 3/4 oz
    Stove 3/8 oz
    Sun glasses 1oz
    Base layer pants 4 1/8 oz
    EMS zippoffs 13 1/2 oz
    Colombia 11 3/4 oz
    Shell 1lb 10 3/8 oz
    Brim hat 4 1/2 oz
    Leki poles 13 3/4 oz
    Vasque boots 2 lb 12 1/2 oz

Images

This is for the AT, right?

Ditch the trowel and the net hat, you don't need them and won't use them.

Pick gloves or mittens, not both.

Get a little point and shoot that takes video rather than carrying two cameras.

You will never need a compass.

Skip the mess kit and the cup. Get yourself one nice lightweight pot and use it for everything.

For clothes bring: Zip-off pants and thermal tights/longjohns, two long sleeved shirts, two short sleeved shirts, a winter hat and gloves/mittens, and three pairs of socks. Leave the underpants at home, they'll give you crotch rot.

That's my take on your list. Or just keep what you have and add or discard as you discover what works for you.

You could be lighter by quite a few pounds on your tent, sleeping bag etc. but it's a matter of paying to lighten up. Basically don't worry about it. You bought what you bought. If you get to Neel's and feel like you just can't carry that many pounds you can buy and swap out there unless you don't have the money. You could lose a good 5-6 pounds if you bought a different tent, sleeping bag, pad, etc. but you know it's not going to break your back. The real problem is if you've got the 30 ounce tent, the 2 lb bag, etc. and you're still pushing 40 or 45 pounds on the scale.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Just a couple of quick thoughts here:

Your pack will be fine if it fits well and you are comfortable in it.

Your bag is heavy and bulky to pack and you will want something cooler and lighter as the weather warms.

Your tent has no rainfly, if it is the one I recall, and you will not find it adequate if the weather turns consistently rainy. It also has fiberglass poles which is what makes it heavy. I would at least add a 2ml painters drop cloth to protect your tent if it rains a lot and look at replacing this shelter first chance you get. Once you see what others are using you will have a better idea of what you will want.

Your mess kit will be a source of agravation if it is the fold over handle type. Replace it with any small pot with a lid-goodwill sort of thing will be fine.

Have you backed up your eppi pen with benadryl or the like? See your doc for max dosage for you or for a prescripton med you can carry.

Even if you can not make these changes now, pack up and get yourself to Mountain Crossing and ask for their help.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Max&Isla View Post
    Leave the underpants at home, they'll give you crotch rot.
    Ugh. Not me. You really need underwear at least in the spring and fall. Maybe summer you could do without, but that's not for me. I'd take pantiliners and underwear that breathes good. If you wear zip offs there is decent air circulation to prevent crotch rot.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries

I spent $450 bucks in rei on my trail clothes, yesterday. I am texting this from the bar in the Richmond airport waiting on my flight Atlanta. (MISSIED THE FIRST FLIGHT) It is my 47 birthday, so that said HERE IS THE BEST ADVICE YOU WILL EVER GET. SO GET A PENCIL I AM ONLY GOING TO TXT ONCE

I THE WORD OF GUNNY HIGHTOWER...HEARTBREAK RIDGE

YOU GOT YOUR WEAPON?
    YOU GOT YOUR BOOTS
    WE WILL IMPROVISE THE REST..

ALL YOU NEED Is
    4 M.R.E.
    a two quart canten
    Pouncho
    A pair on boots
    a zippo
    Sharp pocket knife
    25 ft of 550 cord
    And a visa card.

Anything thing else is just to make comfortable

Kiss keep it super simple........
    Be alive when you die

this post just saved me. thanks drops.

Images

I go over my list every time out and still figure I will forget something and I am an experienced b-packer. You can survive anything for 3 or 4 days, that will get you to Neels gap, then you can sit down and decide what worked, what didn't, what you really need and what was just extra weight. I expect very hiker rethinks gear choices at Neels gap. Just because you started with something does not mean you have to finish with it. I ditched clothes in the hiker box (washed of course) that just did not work and picked up something that worked much better.

The first thing I noticed is that everyone does it their own way and that no one was wrong. Some folks carried huge, heavy packs and they were happy; some carried itty bitty packs without much stuff and they were happy. My pack was in between and I was happy. My conclusion was that the gear did not make the trip; the scenery, people and just the walk were what made the hike.

Whatever you take will be the right stuff for you and you can change what you have if you want to. Have fun!!
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Just get on the trail.... many people have many opinions. No one knows what works for YOU....

Images

To keep it simple: I am an over thinker/planner too. Look over the advice here on WB and use what feels comfortable to you. You will surprise yourself once you get on the trail. You will calm down and will be comfortable with changing your plans when necessary. I was surprised at how flexible I was able to be when I need to. BTW, I didn't let them go through my pack at Neels gap. I figured I knew what I needed to be secure/comfortable and that when I decided I didn't need something I could mail it back home then. I guess you could argue that I have that luxury, because I'm not a thru-hiker.
    Seek, and you shall find.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Folks, the Drop's plan was to be on the trail in late March, and hasn't posted here since the 16th ... I wonder how she's doing ...
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++