WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Moose questions

Default Moose questions

I've never seen a moose and seeing one in the wild is on my bucket list.

Are there sections of the AT where the odds of seeing one are very high? Is there a particular time of year that's better to see a moose? Just how far south are there moose? Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire, yes, but do they live further south?

I want to see a big moose like in this picture from Anchorage (I didn't take the pic). Can you get close and not get stomped? The caption with this pic said that a lady tried to pet the moose and it kicked her. From the look of things, it's not scared of much and seems pretty happy leaving everyone alone provided someone doesn't try to pet it.

How close can you safely get to a moose? Don't they usually run when they see you?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I saw a bunch of moose in ME, just north of Andover - Blue Mt. or something like that.

Being an animal in the wild I didn't try to get close to them - just watched from a distance and let them be.

i was coming down off katahdin late one night and about halfway down there was a cow moose standing in the trail. i had to pat her on the butt to get her to move. i couldn't pass her cuz the vegetation was too thick.

Images

Got to see a few in ME, best sighting I had was on Lake Moxie. I'm almost positive I started seeing moose droppings starting on Mt. Greylock, MA.
    T-Shirts for hikers: www.trailthread.com

Images

In Maine in the summer when the bugs are fierce moose will often be in boggy areas or shallow ponds eating aquatic vegetation. In fact they will be around there most of the summer until the rut. There are many places along the AT in Maine like that.
    The place I have seen the most moose droppings was on the section of trail that is from Rt 17 south of Oquossic to Rt 4 south of Rangeley, known as the Four Ponds area.
    The place where I have seen the most moose at one time together was Rainbow Deadwaters.That was six.
    Not on the AT but in the spring they will be where they can lick salt residue left over from winter along the roadsides.
    As far as getting stomped goes stay clear from moose in the fall around the last part of September to the first half of October. The bulls get quite aggressive then and also any time cows are with their calfs. Just stay clear always and use your telephoto.
    On both bulls and cows if the hair on the mane goes up and the ears go down climb a tree. Just my opinion.
    I believe there was a video quite a while ago that showed a person being attacked by a cow moose in the winter near the front of a building at the University of Anchorage? Really unpleasant.

Images

I always see at least one, sometimes many, up at Chimney Pond in Baxter. There's a resident bull I think they call him JR that's been hanging around for years.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Images

I've had one in my backyard in Mass. (2 miles south of NH border).
    My guess is that along the AT, the odds are against seeing one in CT or MA, though they're there. The further north you go the better your chances. My neighbors go to Northern NH (Pittsburgh) and usually see them in that area.

It's not a good idea to get too close. They're big animals.

Default Moose

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post

Are there sections of the AT where the odds of seeing one are very high? Is there a particular time of year that's better to see a moose? Just how far south are there moose? Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire, yes, but do they live further south?

I want to see a big moose like in this picture from Anchorage (I didn't take the pic). Can you get close and not get stomped? The caption with this pic said that a lady tried to pet the moose and it kicked her. From the look of things, it's not scared of much and seems pretty happy leaving everyone alone provided someone doesn't try to pet it.

How close can you safely get to a moose? Don't they usually run when they see you?
    I have seen many moose in Maine. In June of 2005, I saw 44 in one weekend around Greenville, Me.

I have seen quite a few along the 100 Mile Wilderness.

One can not "safely" approach a moose because they are unpredictable. A mother moose with a calf is likely to be very aggressive, but I have seen a large bull moose quitely grazing with people taking pictures from 40 yards away. My own policy is to try to get a good picture with a telephoto lense. If the moose gets nervous, I back away.

On one occasion, I startled a moose that was sleeping beside the AT. When it jumped up and ran, it ran in my general direction. It passed about 15 feet from me. I couldn't believe how big it was. I was too frightened to get a picture.

I took the attached picture in Baxter State Park.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shutterbug; 03-10-2011 at 12:31.
    Shutterbug

Images

only moose ive seen on the AT was in MA of all palces. i didnt even know there were any there, it was quite the surprise.

in the tetons in wyoming theyre all over the place. one walked right past a large group of hikers i was amongst as if we werent even there, it was probably as close as 10 ft at one point. i dont think i'd purposefully get that close to one though.

I friend of mine who is hiking now just saw "Moose". He was hiking south from Hotsprings to Standing Bear.

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post

Don't worry he'll let you know when you are too close

I've had moose in my backyard in SW New Hampshire, and they hav e been seen down through Central Massachusetts. Look for them in boggy areas.

I've gotten pretty close to moose in the wild (touching distance), but you've got to be careful not to spook them or make them feel cornered. Leave them an easy way out. Bulls are a bit testy during the RUT. Give them space and let them go about their business.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Not sure how far south they go. But I was extremely disappointed not to see a single moose while on the trail. Growing up in Maine I've seen plenty, one constantly hung out by my mailbox/front yard...

Never saw one on the trail though.

This side of the dirt
    Images

I know moose live in Conn - have seen them there.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

I was taking a break early one morning coming down from Zealand Falls Hut when a bull moose almost stepped on me. I am glad the big boy had poor eye sight or this might be a sad story. I was amazed how effortless the bull moved through the mountain terrain. I met a local later in the day that related a bull moose had attacked and badly hurt a hiker earlier in the season.

Stepped over moose poop on the trail just South of Dalton Mass last year.

Images

how close do you want to get
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw5HJaS6GOs
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Here in the western part of MA, moose are frequnetly seen in Otis, Sandisfield, Becket, East Lee where the AT crosses I90. These are not strays, there is a breeding population. I am quite sure there are also moose around Barkhamstead Resivior, in CT. I have seen a number of moose in the towns previously mentioned. My wife, daughter and I watched a cow with 2 yearlings feeding in Tolland MA (for 45 min). Tolland borders CT. Last year SOBO in ME. I only saw 2, one from the car on the way to Baxter and one near Antlers shelter, none in Baxter. I suspect it was because I was too busy watching my feet! roots, roots, damn ROOTS.

Mooses Come Walking

by Arlo Guthrie

Mooses come walking over the hill
    Mooses come walking, they rarely stand still
    When mooses come walking they go where they will
    When mooses come walking over the hill

Mooses look into your window at night
    They look to the left and they look to the right
    The mooses are smiling, they think it's a zoo
    And that's why the mooses like looking at you

So, if you see mooses while lying in bed
    It's best to just stay there pretending you're dead
    The mooses will leave and you'll get the thrill
    Of seeing the mooses go over the hill

©1993 Arloco Music, Inc. (ASCAP)
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

I saw moose very close on Old Blue, also. In the one place where it wasn't steep. There are quite a few in the White Mtns and you can see them on the sides of the road at certain times of the year.
    Greg P.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++