WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 or Hubba Hubba

Anyone have experience with either of these 2 person tents? Also would you recommend another choice? Let me hear your opinions. Thanks.

I have a Seedhouse SL1 and shopped the Hubba before I bought it. SL2 is much lighter (about a pound) the HH. Both have about the same amount of room. Entry on SL2 is in front, on HH it is on side. SL2 is about 20 bucks more expensive.

Images

Fully packed the SL1 weighs exactly 6oz less than the Hubba, so there is not a pound difference between the two.

I have used both the HH and the SL2. The SL2 will not fit two standard sized 20" thermarest sleeping pads but the HH will. The SL2 has much less total volume than the HH - the later has more headroom and width at every point of the footprint. The HH also comes with two doors and two vestibules. If you are going to use the tent for two, the HH is much better at the expense of 16oz. If you want a 1+ tent, then go with the SL2.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    Fully packed the SL1 weighs exactly 6oz less than the Hubba, so there is not a pound difference between the two.

I have used both the HH and the SL2. The SL2 will not fit two standard sized 20" thermarest sleeping pads but the HH will. The SL2 has much less total volume than the HH - the later has more headroom and width at every point of the footprint. The HH also comes with two doors and two vestibules. If you are going to use the tent for two, the HH is much better at the expense of 16oz. If you want a 1+ tent, then go with the SL2.
    have any info on a Big Agnes Jack Rabbit SL2 ?

Journal Entries

i have not had any personal experiance with the two, but i am going to buy one of them myself. have done about a week of research, and the hh appears to have far better reviews, but again i haven't tried myself. i'm going with the hubba.

Quote Originally Posted by ekeverette View Post
    i have not had any personal experiance with the two, but i am going to buy one of them myself. have done about a week of research, and the hh appears to have far better reviews, but again i haven't tried myself. i'm going with the hubba.

The weight difference is the only reason there is a choice. But coming to the conclusion its not enough to justify the BASL2 over the HH.

We used the Hubba Hubba on our thru in 2008 and were very pleased with it. It is heavy compared to single wall tents, but at the time we felt a double wall tent for the AT was appropriate for us. We tented 99% of the time on our thru, so it got lots of usage! (Sometimes you'll get feedback from someone on a tent only later to find out that they used the shelters way more than they used the tent...thus the reason I stated how much we used the tent vs. the shelter.)

Images

Another choice is the Lightheart Duo. www.lightheartgear.com/LightHeart_Gear/Duo.html

excellent tent, uses trekking poles

I prefer side entrance tents to front entrance, so I would go with the Hubba Hubba for that reason alone.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

I have the SL2 and love it, but use it for solo tent, would be pretty tight for two.

I have a Hubba Hubba and it is bullet proof (weather speaking). I have rode out on January snow/wind on the Art Loeb Trail and August thunderstorms in the Roans with no problems. I really like all MSR products.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

We took the HH on our thru and were really happy with it. Nice to have a vestibule for each person and it held up really well in some nasty storms. After the thru I spotted a REI Quarterdome T2 floor model on sale for $149 and couldn't pass it up. It's about the same tent as the HH but a bit lighter and a little less costly at normal price. Another nice two person tent.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I love the hubba hubba for the 2 doors.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

I love my Hubba Hubba, so much so I just ordered the new lime green one. Can't wait to get out in that one!

The wife and I can sleep comfortably in the Hubba Hubba. Having two doors is one of the key parts of that equation - makes it so much easier to coordinate. The other major part is that there is indeed enough room for two normal people to lay out their gear and sleep.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbag View Post
    No - sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbag View Post
    Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

On more nice feature on the Hubba Hubba, besides doing great in stormy weather, is the ability to set up the rainfly first in a downpour and then the inner mesh so that the tent stays drier inside. Be sure to read up on that part of the instructions...it came in handy a few times for us on our thru.

Also, if you use the tent as much as we did, eventually you'll need to recoat the bathtub floor with a DWR. We did it when we got home, but it would have been better to do it sooner.

Look into the Big Agnes Emerald Mountain. It's about the same weight as the MSR, but it's longer (7' 6" vs 7' on Hubba Hubba) which is a big deal for me. BA has discontinued the Emerald Mountain so you might find it at a good price. I have heard nothing but good things about them. You can also (like the Hubba Hubba now) can get a monster optional vestibule.
    Also, the Mountain Hardwear Skyledge is a nice tent, similar dimensions as the MSR, but lighter. My friend has one that he's very happy with. Mountain Hardwear has great customer service as well (not sure about MSR or BA).
    When night falls she cloaks the world in impenetrable darkness, A chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air, suddenly....life has new meaning.

Images

i have the seedhouse sl2; selected it over the hubba hubba due to the weight savings. usually just me, but i have had two in there a number of nights (and 3 for one VERY long night in the smokies...); it really has plenty of room. the single door hasn't caused me any grief, but the dual doors and vestibules would be nice with 2 people in the tent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++