WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot 2000 View Post
    Bugs do go to sleep when it gets dark.
    What?!?! Where? in Antartica? I have no idea of the nocturnal habits of insects, maybe they do go to sleep in the dark, I don't know . . . I have spent more than one night battling mosquitoes, however . . .

But, I do also concur that AT Shelters provide no protection.

A tent, however, provides a very effective barrier against the pesky dive-bombers.

Anyone considering using a tarp, I would highly suggest also having a bug net to drape over you - not just a head net. They might not stick you with a head net, but the incessant buzzing might drive you nuts . . .

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

some observations

They go to sleep after milk and cookies...Duh, winning!!!

if you are serious about losing oz.'s then use lithium batteries, they weigh much less, cost more but last longer. Perfect for the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    They go to sleep after milk and cookies...Duh, winning!!!
    lol

Yea I'm gonna play that by ear with using a tarp. Thought about it and if it is a huge deal on the trail I'll send home the tent. Can the bugs really be worse than Florida swamps anyways?

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    What?!?! Where? in Antartica? I have no idea of the nocturnal habits of insects, maybe they do go to sleep in the dark, I don't know . . . I have spent more than one night battling mosquitoes, however . . .

But, I do also concur that AT Shelters provide no protection.

A tent, however, provides a very effective barrier against the pesky dive-bombers.

Anyone considering using a tarp, I would highly suggest also having a bug net to drape over you - not just a head net. They might not stick you with a head net, but the incessant buzzing might drive you nuts . . .

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

some observations

Absolutely. I've always used a tent for camping and while hiking the Smokies have of course used shelters, but in the park in general, especially at higher elevations, I've encountered mosquitoes so few times I could count them on both hands.

If you're camping where it's buggy, you need protection of some sort - what do tarp users do then? Carry some kind of bug netting? That's more weight - what if it's late June-August and so sticky hot that you can't fathom keeping yourself deep in a sleeping bag? Get bitten all night or carry more amounts of bug netting? The weight creeps up.

Why not then just get a super lightweight tent/tarptent?
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

OK, OK!! But I'm still going to take my tarp and maybe not camp in buggy places. Is that a plan? Worked in 2000 for 129 nights on the trail. Bugs do go to sleep when it gets dark.

litefoot 2000

Quote Originally Posted by F-Stop View Post
    How do you keep mosquitoes from eating you?
    From everything I understand and have experienced, the bugs shouldn't be a problem in the south AT, so if you're NoBo, could start with the tarp only, then switch to tent in around Mass. By then you'll be in shape to not mind the extra weight.

Quote Originally Posted by blitz1 View Post
    From everything I understand and have experienced, the bugs shouldn't be a problem in the south AT, so if you're NoBo, could start with the tarp only, then switch to tent in around Mass. By then you'll be in shape to not mind the extra weight.

Bugs aren't a real problem at night anywhere on the AT. Mosquitos stay near standing water and there is very little standing water in the Appalachian Mountains. Black flies are mainly in the North and are a problem with SOBO's. Their reign of terrror is mainly from Mother's Day to Father's Day. They are long gone when NOBO's reach the northern states.

litefoot 2000

Have you done a shake down hike with everything you have on your list? Take a long weekend and go try everything out. Its easy to have people tell you that they aren't taking this or that, but this is what works for them and might not work for you.

Also, sporting goods stores and outfitters have tent stakes that are titanium. Mine cost 84 cents each and weigh almost nothing. I'd rather have stakes and not need them, at that cost and weight, than not have them when I do need them. You might think you'll weigh your tent down on your own, but with the wind and inclimate weather you might encounter, I think its better safe than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot 2000 View Post
    Bugs aren't a real problem at night anywhere on the AT. Mosquitos stay near standing water and there is very little standing water in the Appalachian Mountains. Black flies are mainly in the North and are a problem with SOBO's. Their reign of terrror is mainly from Mother's Day to Father's Day. They are long gone when NOBO's reach the northern states.

litefoot 2000
    North of Mass there are plenty of mosquitoes along many parts of the AT into July and early August, especially further up in Maine where there are many bogs, but if you hit this region in late August or later they won't bother you much if at all.
    Most of the shelters are sited away from the worst areas, but you have to expect to get a few bites, depending on how tasty you smell to them. And when you're on ridges or up high, the bugs aren't a bother even in the spring - it's in the valleys they eat you alive.

Default Mosquitos

I've never thru-hiked, but I've done a lot of section hikes in NC and Virginia(up to Grayson Highlands). I've often done these in the summer, and usually have slept under tarps. We've never had a bug problem. It can get quite warm...however.

There is no mosquito or bug problem in the summer, so i'm pretty sure that March through May would be bug free.

I'm much more concerned with ticks, but you usually get them when you are hiking.

On Tech-nu...I've heard it's great for poison ivy, but I'd leave it at home and then buy some when you first see it, perhaps in late May. You won't need it for a while. I'm sensitive to poison Ivy also, but I know what it looks like and am very careful if I need to walk near it. You are at most risk when going for water or "seeing a man about a dog" in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by booney_1 View Post
    I'm sensitive to poison Ivy also, but I know what it looks like and am very careful if I need to walk near it. You are at most risk when going for water or "seeing a man about a dog" in the woods.
    I hiked with a guy from Arizona in 2000 who went to "see a man about a dog" in a veritable field of poison ivy and even used the leaves for cleaning. He either couldn't identify the plant or didn't know about it. He was a miserable puppy for a while. I really felt sorry for him.

litefoot 2000

Journal Entries
    Images

Well, anyone reading this thread who is tarping and decides not to carry some protection from mosquitoes during the summer, regardless of where you are at – Good . . . Luck. If you forget some milk and cookies to offer. . . maybe you will get lucky and have some bats roosting nearby . . .

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

some observations

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    Well, anyone reading this thread who is tarping and decides not to carry some protection from mosquitoes during the summer, regardless of where you are at – Good . . . Luck. If you forget some milk and cookies to offer. . . maybe you will get lucky and have some bats roosting nearby . . .

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

some observations
    Bugs don't eat milk and cookies. Everybody knows they're lacto-ovo.

litefoot 2000

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++