WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default backpack raincovers?

I just bought a kelty backpack for $100.00 , the rain cover is over $30.00. Can I buy a generic brand? I see cheap ones on ebay are they any good?
    Thanks to all who reply.

Any good rain cover should do for you; just make sure it's the right size (usually stated by the volume of the pack in liters or cubic inches).

Some people say rain covers don't work, but in my experience, they work just peachy.

Etowah Outfitters, you will not be disappointed. EBAY has then for about $20

i had a smaller pack that did not have one, but i wanted one. i found one on ebay for like 8 bucks new. it works great

Buy generic. I bought one generic in 2000 when I first started. I still have it today. It is not name brand and it works.

You can always use one of the old ALICE pack covers floating around ebay and the military suplus market for a few dollars. Plus they look cool too in either woodland or Desert chocolate chip.

Cheers,
    Serge
    Sergemaster

Stir Fry

$10 to buy a yard and half of sil-nylon. and make it to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir Fry View Post
    $10 to buy a yard and half of sil-nylon. and make it to fit.
    +1 to that! and you can make it any color you want. i think there was a thing on Just Jeff's homemade hammock gear for one that had a few other uses as well, and was made out of a simple rectangle and drawstring. i'll be making mine for sure!

"$10 to buy a yard and half of sil-nylon. and make it to fit."
    If you do make your own (good idea ...), or even if you don't, I suggest that you do what you can to test for how well it stays on in high wind. At some point if you backpack enough you'll run into very high winds, and that's not the time to find that your pack cover isn't very secure ---
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

I was in walmart today and saw an outdoor products pack cover for $5. I dont know how good it is, but looked o.k.

Images

after you get a pack cover make sure you also line your pack with a heavy duty trash bag to make certain that things stay dry

golite makes my favorite packcover.it shreds instantly and costs a fourtune. i wanna make a packcoverthat is also a kite when used with two sticks.
    matthewski

"let me get this straight, I just spent three hundred bucks on a backpack and I have to buy a rain cover for it!" B. Bryson
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Ditto on the Etowah covers, they work very well!
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

If you do decide to use a pack cover, several posters have recommended putting gusseted holes in the bottom of it to allow water to drain that would otherwise accumulate and run down your backside.

Forget the raincovers. They don't work. They don't work. They don't work. Get a plastic compactor bag and put your delicates inside the bag inside the pack.

litefoot 2000

Call me crazy but I use a trash compactor bag *and* a pack cover. I like having my things in the pockets outside my pack have a little protection. But no, pack covers will not keep the contents of your pack dry.

Don't bother with the manufacturer pack cover, as you will probably be replacing it anyway, after a mouse chews through it or you tear it on rocks or branches.

It's nice when they come with drain holes, but a few holes poked in the bottom with your knife will work too. I've stuck my crocks in the bottom to keep my pack out of the puddle. Works, but the shoes kick you in the butt all all day.

I always buy blaze orange pack covers now. During hunting season they can save your hide, and the rest of the year they make it easy to find your pack cover in the shelter or pack.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

On the hottest, driest day, you will see me using my pack cover. It protects my things from sun damage, you see. Mostly, it protects me from the frustration of enduring the indecision of whether or not to stop, pull it out of my pack, and put it on when rain clouds are moving around above. It is, after all, a pack cover, not just a rain cover.--
    Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Default making my own...

Well I'm going to make my own and also use a bag inside for extra protection.

Bryson has a point. Can someone explain why backpacks are not waterproof? Seems like kind of a basic design parameter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++