WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Does anyone use external frames anymore??

I consider myself somewhat of a "traditionalist". My kids say im just old. But i am seriously considering going back to an external. I'm looking for input on the newer externals. Anyone have any experience with newer models?

I gotta have more cowbell!

Hey Bearbag,
    If you do a search on "external frame packs" you will find a slew of information on the subject including the external vs. internal debate..

Personally I prefer an external for various reasons over the internal but that's just me..

Cheers,
    Serge
    Sergemaster

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbag View Post
    I consider myself somewhat of a "traditionalist". My kids say im just old. But i am seriously considering going back to an external. I'm looking for input on the newer externals. Anyone have any experience with newer models?

you bet ! nothing better IMO

What kind of external did you have

Images

Yep. Just bought a Kelty Trekker 3950 a few weeks ago. I love it.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

I also have a kelty trekker 3950 nice pack plenty of pockets i use it all year around

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbag View Post

My father-in-law still loves and uses his decade old Kelty Trekker, I still don't know why he doesn't purchase a new pack but one thing is for sure, that Trekker is a work horse.

Just last year when we backpacked into the La Garita Wilderness he must have loaded that dam thing up with nearly 50lbs of gear-- full chest waders and everything and he never complained once about it hurting him.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFol View Post
    My father-in-law still loves and uses his decade old Kelty Trekker, I still don't know why he doesn't purchase a new pack but one thing is for sure, that Trekker is a work horse.

Just last year when we backpacked into the La Garita Wilderness he must have loaded that dam thing up with nearly 50lbs of gear-- full chest waders and everything and he never complained once about it hurting him.
    probably because the external carries the weight so much better!, gets the weight on the hips more than the shoulder.
    kelty super tiogas are my favorite pack. also just picked up a dana designs k2 shortbed.

Images

There are a lot of folks who dearly love their external frame packs. Heavy or not, they tend to carry well and last. I don't think they'll ever disappear from the hiking scene. As for me, my Cuben fiber 7 oz pack works just fine. To each their own!

Hike smarter, not harder.

My Kelty 50th Anniversary model is lighter than a lot of the internals that are worshipped here on WB. Still heavier than I want to use, unless I'm carrying 4-5 gallson of water.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Kelty trekker here also. Although if I could have got a golite at the sale price a few days ago I would have just to see how I like it.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Journal Entries
    Images

Cabelas has them on the catalogs but suddenly they were dropped from the website, Frame packs are still the rage in colder climates - like Alaska.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    OK, I'll bite. What is it?
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

El Sordo
    Images

after several years I went back to an external. it carries better and more importantly it's cooler. in warmer seasons I've soaked the contents of my internal frame just from perspiration. I also like the pockets on the externals. It always seemed that whatever I wanted was at the bottom of my pack.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

Default Trail crew freighter

I use mine as a freighter for trail tools, particularly Griphoists, chain, blocks, etc. The ones from Cabelas are really well made and can take a serious beating.

You ask about "newer externals." One that came out in the last decade, and that I've used for the last five years, is the external frame from Luxurylite (luxurylite.com). My rig weighs two pounds and has a capacity around 4300 cubic inches (70 liters). I've had good luck with it. One drawback is that it is expensive.

i have a new never used 2004(or so)kelty super tioga i bought on e-bay
    it weighs 5 pounds with the lighter pack cloth, the same pack cloth my 50th year anniversary pack had.
    compared to my super tioga in 1998-99 i believed it weighed in around 6-7 pounds.
    love the pockets, i usually woke up loaded up and hiking in less than 30 minutes. and the airflow behind the back is not a bad thing

Well I bought a really good, highly recommended internal frame that is a top loading thing, and I've hated every moment of hiking with it. If I want one single thing out of it, I have to unload twenty things to get to it. The only thing going for it is that it is lighter weight than my old external frame. I keep my external frame for use when someone goes with me and they don't have a pack - a loaner. I just always liked the pockets and divided sections, and being able to organize my gear so that I didn't have to pull out every d___ thing and put it on the dirt/wet/dust/whatever to set up camp.

I had another external frame (my husband's) and he was never going to use it again, so I gave it to a relative of ours who has a job in California basically backpacking for a living . . . he loves external frame packs. His old one had lasted about 15 years I think. Anyway, his philosophy is that if you can't carry the weight, you shouldn't be backpacking. . . and also says that taking on the weight helps him stay in shape. My guess is that his pack doesn't ever weigh more than 30 lbs., because he's comfortable as a minimalist anyway, but I know he could haul 60 lbs. if he needed to.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++