WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Not a winter thru-hike

They started in Maine in September(that's not winter) hiked thru New England by the end of October(that's not winter), made it past the halfway marker in November(still not winter), The were well into Virginia in December when winter started. I don't see the big deal here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    They started in Maine in September(that's not winter) hiked thru New England by the end of October(that's not winter), made it past the halfway marker in November(still not winter), The were well into Virginia in December when winter started. I don't see the big deal here.
    You live up to your handle.

BradMT-
    Thanks for posting that article. I've saved it to read later. I've thought for awhile now that hiking in other than summer season may be an interesting way to go.

Images

Thanks T-Dubs... wasn't saying it was "a big deal", just saying I thought it was a nice article.

Some people, sheesh...

Moldy,

I'm with you. He really didn't do a thru-winter hike and winter hiking VA in December is not anything difficult.

I'm not going to take anything away from him because he did a thru-hike. I just get a kick out of all these people that need their name in the paper because they thru-hike the AT. Instead of doing the trail to be in the paper shouldn't hikers do it because they enjoy being out there?

Wolf

Images

How do you know they "needed their name" in the paper... lot's of pious pontificating here.

Sad...

Journal Entries

It would be something if someone left Katahdin at Thanksgiving.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    How do you know they "needed their name" in the paper... lot's of pious pontificating here.

Sad...
    BradMT,

Most people get their name in the paper after they call the paper themselves or a friend/relative. And few if any papers would publish anything like hiking the Appalachian Trail if the hiker simple said no thank you.

Wolf

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    BradMT,

Most people get their name in the paper after they call the paper themselves or a friend/relative. And few if any papers would publish anything like hiking the Appalachian Trail if the hiker simple said no thank you.

Wolf
    how is that any different than advertising how many times you've hiked each trail?

or better yet, using your user name to show people exactly how many miles you have walked?

eh, i'd say it's pretty similar......
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    BradMT,

Wolf
    How do you know they called it in? Perhaps a well-meaing relative or friend did.

Aside, your assumptions are just that... further, reference this. Seems to fit perfectly:

how is that any different than advertising how many times you've hiked each trail?

or better yet, using your user name to show people exactly how many miles you have walked?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Looks like an interesting experience. More than the cold, it is the short hiking days I'd find difficult. Though, with a partner, those long nights may not seems as long.. (Depends on how many times the same story is told I guess! )

This look cold to me anyway..

...but also quite magical.

Good on them for doing something different. And what a way to have more of wilderness experience on the trail!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    It would be something if someone left Katahdin at Thanksgiving.
    what is the latest you can leave Baxter??
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Default Has it ever been done?

I could not find a record of someone thru-hiking the AT through to whole of the winter. I think the distance is too long. There have been people who can carry enough equipment to make it hundreds of miles. There have been people who braved part of the winter. If you attempted a NOBO starting in December and hiked to March your miles per day average would be pretty low on a normal winter. I can't imagine how you could make a SOBO starting in December even if you skipped Baxter State Park because it's closed. It would be a death defying fete if you got out of New England. I don't think it's ever been done.

Images

It would be a death defying fete if you got out of New England.
    Well, that is nonsense.

More than a few of us have the skills and endurance to do it... the question becomes "why" when the spring/summer/fall is more relaxed and enjoyable.

Winter backpacking/skiing/snowshoeing is simply a matter of great gear, skills and the mental toughness to put your head down and do it every day...

Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post

It depends on the reasoning. In this form for example it serves a purpose. Let be honest. There are some posts on this form that you have to scratch your head and wonder. Then you look at their experience level and it explains a lot.
    If you are implying is towards my name, well the name "Wolf" was already taken when I sign up on this form. So I needed something easy to remember and having some random number just doesn't do it. That why I came up with the 23000.
    Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    How do you know they called it in? Perhaps a well-meaing relative or friend did.

Aside, your assumptions are just that... further, reference this. Seems to fit perfectly:
    BradMT,

I believe I said relative or friend but lets be honest, none of friends would dare call the papers. Some of my friends have seen me come back pretty beat up from some of my harder hikes. The last thing I would want is everyone saying, "Your that crazy hiker that walk all over the place".

Wolf

I could not find a record of someone thru-hiking the AT through to whole of the winter. I think the distance is too long. There have been people who can carry enough equipment to make it hundreds of miles. There have been people who braved part of the winter. If you attempted a NOBO starting in December and hiked to March your miles per day average would be pretty low on a normal winter. I can't imagine how you could make a SOBO starting in December even if you skipped Baxter State Park because it's closed. It would be a death defying fete if you got out of New England. I don't think it's ever been done.
    moldy,

The distance is too long to do a true winter thru-hike but I for one have completed a full section hike of the entire AT. There are only 3 true winter months - Dec, Jan and Feb. Doing a southbound trip from Baxter is do able. Hiking Maine I've completed in the months of January mostly southbound. It wasn't easy solely but it is do able. Going off of their picture, for someone who knows what they are doing the snow there looks more like it would be annoying than anything difficult.

Wolf

Default epic adventure

In my opinion, it would take a huge team type effort, with the support of ground and air equipment to hike the AT's northern third in the dead of winter. I base this on living in the deep snow of northern Michigan on the flat and from the times I was caught on the AT in the snow. The Whites in February? For a regular hiker dude like me and you with limited resources? It would be far more difficult than other famous treks like the big dog race in Alaska. More like Scott taking on Antarctica.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

My kudos goes to those last year plodding through 3 feet of snow. Now there was winter hiking in Feb and March!

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++