WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

of course this is a stupid idea as a planning strategy for so many reasons - I suppose it might be better than nothing as a last resort, BUT, one cold rainy afternoon when you hit a shelter and want a break before your last 8 miles to the next shelter and you are sort of cold - maybe chattering a bit (but if you get your bag out, you might quit for the day) - tuck your legs into a black plastic contractor bag - you will be amazed how nice and warm it makes you - learned this trick from triple crowner, "Sicily B"

Do yourself a favor, Get a desent set of rain gear. You dont want to be out on the trail WET and COLD !

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    Hey;

I have several thousand dollars worth of Mtn. climbing-backpacking gore-tex rain gear. In my experience-none of it worked. After all of my gear failed mountain trekking in India-
    Its my experience also that when actual harsh condition arrived most of my gear totally failed.
    I will save you the stories and just list some things that actually work:

Army waterproof laundry bag (used as a pack) PU coated nylon
    Army Poncho, PU coated nylon, used as a bivy, tarp, and rain gear.
    Down quit, learn to wear it
    Lyra socks
    Mylar socks, mittens, blanket
    Alcohol cat can stove with base reflector and windscreen

Walking barefoot
    Keeping a positive outlook
    Taking rest breaks
    Eating like a pig whenever possible

... before I stray to much more off topic... as for rain gear, if you feel you must have it
    in addition to your tarp that you can wear like a long coat, then DriDucks $20 are the most
    breathable I have tried.

I concur that none of the "breathable" raingear is really breathable enough. That said, I would never go out without some decent raingear (but I do most of my hiking in the Whites). If it's hot and raining I don't put it on. If it's cold enough that I need to put it on, I don't worry about it breathing.

On the boat ride to North Manitou Island in Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore for a weekend backpacking in the wilderness, we had driving rain and six foot waves. We were on the outside stern deck of the boat and spray from the bow would crash over us. People were throwing up everywhere. I had a rain jacket, but the logical choice was to pull out a big garbage bag, curl up into a ball and cover everything, leaving only my nose exposed for breathing. 80 minutes later, we got off the boat, the weather cleared, and we had a great trip. Sometimes the bag works really well.

Images

I had great success using a 36 gal garbage bag I cut a hole for head and arms. Walking in 30 degree rain in November in VA, it kept the wind from really chilling me out. I am using it on the CT this summer.

At first, I thought this thread was just silly. But I learned a couple things and WILL pack a LARGE compactor bag now for a variety of emergency reasons (for me, or another person).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++