WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dri-Ducks--???

Images

Default Dri-Ducks--???

Looking at Dri-Ducks for rain pants--concerned about them not being very sturdy--anyone with experience????

Images

I take them on all my section hikes. Great if you want to go light. I have torn mine a couple of times but nothing a little duct tape wont fix. Plus they are cheap to buy.

Images

They are studier than I thought, but still had a few issues with snags on branches. They repair very easy with duck tape though. For the $$ and weight, works well for me.

I've had mine for 3 years now. Used the jacket 4 seasons, and the pants 3. I don't take the pants in the summer.

Images

You are right to be concerned. Dri-Ducks are pretty fragile, and can easily be snagged and torn on sticks or bushes along the trail. I accidently tore the bottom 2 inches off of the sleeve of a Dri-Ducks jacket just trying to take it off (it was wet and stuck to my skin).

Nevertheless, Dri-Ducks are light and cheap, and I'm still wearing that jacket with the torn sleeve when it rains!
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

I used a Dri-Ducks jacket last fall. 10 days on the northern part of the Long Trail. Rained almost continually. Only one small rip. Fixed with duct tape. The jacket only weighs 5 or 6 ozs.

Images

Thanks All;

Q-tip

Dry-ducks makes a poncho and I just picked up 2 on sale at Dick's for $5/apiece. Might not last, but worth $5.

Images

Are dri-ducks breatheable at all?
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Are dri-ducks breatheable at all?
    Absolutely.

Images

What I really mean is, will they keep you dry? I've been in search of breathable/ waterproof raingear and just gave up. It's either breathable but not waterproof, or waterproof, but I sweat to death. So I gave up and decided that instead of trying to stay dry, I'd try to stay warm. (I still try to stay dry after setting up camp, but not while hiking.)
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )

Nothing is going to keep you 100% dry in an all day, all out down pour (shudder)...hate those days. But for your generally rainy, miserable day, yes. Will you sweat? Yes...you're hiking. But they breathe quite well. Still, you are going to perspire and you will get a little wet in any gear from the inside out.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Bottom line: If it's raining and you're hiking you're going to get wet one way or the other.

Psychologically it feels somewhat nice not to be getting drenched in a downpour but at the end of a long day hiking in the rain I'm as wet as if I didn't have any raingear on at all.

I'm anxious to try the poncho. Its open on the bottom, like a poncho is, I am wondering if you air out any better.

Images

Eh, I think I'll stick with giving up on hiking raingear. I've got things to keep me dry while I'm in camp, and that's enough for me.

Images

If it's warm you really don't need rain gear, if it's cold you risk hypothermia without it.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    If it's warm you really don't need rain gear, if it's cold you risk hypothermia without it.
    Being warm has always been my object- so I wear windgear while hiking in the rain, raingear while in camp.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Being warm has always been my object- so I wear windgear while hiking in the rain, raingear while in camp.
    In the fall I often hike in a fleece jacket. It keeps me warm and dries quickly.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Why do we as humans have to pay alot to believe something is good? I take that back. Why do we as american consumers... I think I just answered my own question.

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Bottom line: If it's raining and you're hiking you're going to get wet one way or the other.

Psychologically it feels somewhat nice not to be getting drenched in a downpour but at the end of a long day hiking in the rain I'm as wet as if I didn't have any raingear on at all.
    + 1. The only way to remain dry is to stay in some kind of shelter. No gore tex or other fancy material will keep you consistently dry in consistent precipitation.

Therefore, DriDucks for me the whole way. Light and Cheap. If you can't Duct it....forget it

Journal Entries

Bought the trail pack around $20. The jacket was pretty good but no pit zips or pockets, but great for the price. The pants ripped the first time trying them on over boots. Because it was a pack buy had to return both jacket & pants for exchange/refund.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++