WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Carter Gap Shelter

There are two shelters here. One is an old (70's) lean-to, but in good shape. Water is spring 300 feet below old shelter. New shelter is on southeast side of gap. Has overhang, table, benches. Also, a crawl type space below main part of shelter for sleeping area. No privy. No mice? but it was really cold the night I was there.

How much room is there for tents at either one of the shelters?

GAME 2000
    Images

There is a lot of tent space in the area between and around these two shelters.

Youngblood

Images

In fact I might suggest tenting or hanging out near the new shelter and just using the front porch for cooking and such. The shelter was not as big as others I have seen, of course the fact that a couple of weekenders had pitched a tent inside might cloud my estimate of its size.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

GAME 2000
    Images

Yeah Sarge, that would pretty much take up all of the floor space. Hope it wasn't raining.

Youngblood

Exclamation Wooden Sign needed

When hiked to old Carter Gap. I was perplexed about this shelter, and never knew there were new shelter nearby. Thank to the written paper note tucked in the roof, and alerted me to go to the next shelter not far from old shelter. I guess one of trail club should install a new sign that will direct us to the new shelter.

Flash Hand

Yea the new shelter is nice but you have to look for it, It's across the trail from the old one just north about 50 yards. Stayed there May 05, still like new. Standing Indian shelter is nice too (south) but the next one north just over Albert mnt is smaller but has a nice privy and covered table area. If Carters Gap is full and your going south camp at Beech gap trail head (about an hour). Nice tenting area with water.

Images

me and my oldest son hank stayed in the newer carter gap shelter
    in july 2001 neo

Just stayed in the new Carter Gap shelter this past week on a section hike. Thank goodness we didn't have to stay in the old one! Nice shelter with one of the more pleasant mouldering privys. Had a little bat friend hanging around for a while, and one mouse scared a 13 year old girl that was sharing the shelter with us. No bear cables yet...I'm hoping they will be "coming soon." I didn't go on the water run this time, but heard it was quite a trek to get to.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MtnBadger
    Just stayed in the new Carter Gap shelter this past week on a section hike. Thank goodness we didn't have to stay in the old one! Nice shelter with one of the more pleasant mouldering privys. Had a little bat friend hanging around for a while, and one mouse scared a 13 year old girl that was sharing the shelter with us. No bear cables yet...I'm hoping they will be "coming soon." I didn't go on the water run this time, but heard it was quite a trek to get to.
    The water isn't that bad. It is about 50' or so behind the old shelter.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Dainon

Default new shelter

I stayed in the new shelter a couple of weeks ago -- it's a great facility and although the water is a bit of a trek away, still it's right out of the rock and doesn't need filtering or chemicals.

I bearbagged about 40 yards from the shelter -- well over 15' up and 10' out from the trunk -- but mice must have spotted me doing it and climbed down the line to the foodbag. From the damage assessment, I can say that the Carter Gap mice have a distinct preference for hot chocolate mix and Nature Valley granola bars.

El Sordo
    Images

Carter Gap has a privy now?

I stayed at Carter Gap on the night of 9/24/05. Yes, there is a privy, and according to my cousin (I didn't use it) a very nice one as mouldering privys go. It's just beyond the new shelter. There is also bear sign everywhere. Including scat no more than 100' from the (new) shelter. Fortunately, we came across a hunting dog (TN Walker hound) who had evidently been seperated from his pack (they are practicing for bear hunting season). Great dog, patrolled the premisis, and more than once went baying off into the night (in the direction of our hung food bags) with his hair standing on end. Nice way to keep the bears away

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Cool 2 years later

Since no one has posted a condition report for two years:

Stayed @ the new shelter Labor Day weekend '07. Old shelter roof is leaning precariously. Although a sign has been erected for SOBOs, NOBOs still have no way of knowing that there is a 2nd shelter (ok, someone wrote on the old sign in front of the old shelter, but one could still miss this sign).

Still no bear cables in sight. Privy is behind new shelter some 75' or so.

I liked the awning, but not that it faced west, into the mtnside, limiting the amt of light in the shelter drastically; maybe there's lots o wind in winter....
    Be Prepared

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Hand View Post
    When hiked to old Carter Gap. I was perplexed about this shelter, and never knew there were new shelter nearby. Thank to the written paper note tucked in the roof, and alerted me to go to the next shelter not far from old shelter. I guess one of trail club should install a new sign that will direct us to the new shelter.

Flash Hand
    there is a sign posted in most all of those shelters from musrat creek to Rufas Morgan shelter that is very old.I think they are from the hiking club.Every shuttler and taxi services listed are out of service.They list Franklin has a K-mart and wal-mart is correct.I don't think it list an outfitter here.It list Rainbow Springs Campground which closed in 2005.They list 2 motels hiker friendly.These signs have been there before I was in business and I have owned Budget Inn for 7 years since 2000.Carter Gap shelters are less than 200 ft apart.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

I would say maybe on the 200 feet seperation but they are definitely not within line of sight of one another......
    Be Prepared

Images

Was up there two years ago and don't even remember see the "Old" shelter, I must have been daized from the climb up Albert Mtn

When I was there it was so cold and windy even the mice didn't come out. Believe that's why the shelter faces into the mountain. Also why new shelter is on other side of the ridge/gap.

Stayed in this shelter in early November. It seemed a little eerie, being very dark. My friend thought she heard a night visitor (large animal, human, ghost?)

Any stories of hauntings in this area?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++