WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Images

Default On the other side of normal

Oh my gosh, welcome to my world and my family. I have an uncle with bipolar effective disorder and a nephew with tourettes syndrome, my father had a nervous breakdown during ww2 (that is what they called it then) today we call it PTSD. I have also been diagnosed with PTSD caused by "stressors" during my tours of duty.
    I just got the results of my IQ test yesterday morning according to that I am in the category of the high end of average 114. I just can't talk worth a **** because my thoughts are faster than than I can talk so my words get mucked up a lot. (most people find that funny, myself included.) and my math skills suck.
    Who would have ever figured that I would learn at whiteblaze.net that in this world of so many people we have such a wide range of degrees when we describe "normal." I write this in good humor and am not trying to start an argument. I guess to me it would be "abnormal" for my family to not have some "weird" kink at a family function. Perhaps "abnormal" is what keeps our family laughing and happpppy.
    Photofanatic: I will try anything once and twice if I like it.

Images

Removed by me
    Last edited by ShakeyLeggs; 04-30-2007 at 22:34.
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Journal Entries
    Images

I think I may have met Ward once but i am not sure that was him. Does anyone have any pictures of him? i would like to confirm it.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Default Reply

"Quote:
    Originally Posted by warren doyle
    Ward Leonard has completed the entire Appalachian Trail ten times.

Maybe that you know of.

And I would know and do know about this.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Default Oh great and powerful Oz

WD-"And I would know and do know about this."
    God himself has spoken!

Images

Removed by me
    Last edited by ShakeyLeggs; 04-30-2007 at 22:34.
    A Fact Of Life:

W T F...............

KB3SYZ

Journal Entries
    Images

Given that "Ward Leonard" is also the name of fairly well known company in CT, I have always wondered if this well known individual actually uses an adopted name. Probably not, but anyone know for sure?

And one member of the Holy Trinity of Internegators has responded!
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

WD-"And one member of the Holy Trinity of Internegators has responded!
    Just say 'stock reply #1', everyone will know what you mean.

usually confused but never lost Fannypack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    God himself has spoken!
    TOF, go on back under that rock or is it, the pile of rocks?

see ya in a few wks...

Fannypack-"TOF, go on back under that rock or is it, the pile of rocks?"
    Mt. Washington is known as the 'Rock Pile' to those of us who have worked or played there.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyLeggs View Post
    Here ya go.
    Thanks ShakeyLeggs. Now that I have seen the picture I can say that I have not met him. From all I have read i tough he would be much older.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Thanks ShakeyLeggs. Now that I have seen the picture I can say that I have not met him. From all I have read i tough he would be much older.

He'd be about 40 now, I'd guess. Looked to be in his early/mid 20s, 17 years ago.

Images

Removed by me
    Last edited by ShakeyLeggs; 04-30-2007 at 22:33.
    A Fact Of Life:

W T F...............

KB3SYZ

Quote Originally Posted by little bear View Post
    Ward lost his way after he found there was nothing more he could accomplished. He wonder around the AT for a couple years before getting kicked off by court order.

Wolf

What did he get banned from the AT for?[/quote]

Ward got in trouble several times with the courts - nothing serious. He had an altercation with a woman at Baxter State Park and end up getting arested. Normal he would get a slap on the risk, told not to do it again and go on his way. ATC found out about his court appearances and showed up with the complains they recieved over the years about Ward.

The judge told him he realised he had problem but told him he could not continue with this type of behavior. The judge made out a court order he was not to step foot on the AT for 2 years. That time has long past. I've heard rummors that he been out a few times for short times here and there but nothing serious.

Wolf

I remember a trip report mentioning Ward "Chip" Leonard from early 01 - for those who may be interested: http://www.thebackpacker.com/trailta...ad/7092,-1.php

Quote Originally Posted by Rocks 'n Roots View Post
    The reason I responded to this thread is because I met a man with long slightly reddish blond hair and worn teeth at Partnership in 2000. I was driving south to Florida at the time. He said his name was "Chip". When I asked him how far he was intending to go north in September he sort of dithered and said something about going another week and turning back south. At that point I figured him for a Trail lingerer type. It wasn't until I got on the internet did I find out that was Ward.

He was spread out in the shelter in low season. He offered to let me read the register and move his stuff over. I told him I was an AT volunteer up in New York so I figured he was a little cautious with me. I gave him a Pepsi and we talked Trail. I could tell he was reading the entire register intently.

Maybe Ward was just off his AT restriction and on his best behavior. After learning on the net about his reputation I found he had allegedly gone through fellow shelter mates packs in front of them in sargeant-like fashion pulling items out and giving a talk-down on unnecessary equipment. (That seems a little manic to me). He was banned from the AT for that. The man I spoke too seemed cogent enough and behaved. I had no overt impression of instability from the man. Had to say that...
    How does one get banned from the AT??? By whom????

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    How does one get banned from the AT??? By whom????
    Sorry, I missed the answer

I met Ward during my hike in '91. I was NOBO. The word on the trail that year was that he was trying to do 3 complete unsupported hikes. 2 NOBO's then a flip-flop. I started late (April 18th) so he was way ahead of me on his 1st trip. I think I was in CT, leaving from a shelter that had a rather lengthy blue blaze trail to it. When I got to the AT and turned north for maybe 5 minutes, I ran into a hiker who was standing in the trail applying sunscreen or bug spray or something. I figured he was going south since I was just at the shelter alone and it was very early. I stopped and in a friendly manner asked "which way are you headed?" His reply was a rather snooty "which way are you headed?" I said "I'm going north, are you going south?" to which he replied "I'm going north are you going south" At this point I realized who I was talking too. I said "You must be Ward Leonard" and I walked past him and continued up the trail. Within a minute I could hear him quickly catching up to me so I stopped to let him pass. He was almost running. Later that afternoon as I was crossing a road, but before I entered the woods I heard a car approach and pull off the road at the trailhead. I looked back and Ward jumped out (he apparently had hitched into town and was just returning). He saw me and again started running. I stepped aside and let him pass again.
    I had read about him in registers and also heard stories about him from people who had met him. Almost entirely negative stuff. People reffered to him as "Lord Weiner". Regardless, I was hoping to meet him and talk. Unfortunately when I got that opportunity he WAS rude and obnoxious. If he made his flip flop I never saw him on his way south. But still you have to admire a hiker about to complete his 2nd trip that early in the summer. If it was in CT, it was probably mid to late July.
    All I remember about him specifically was that he had red hair, and carried a smallish internal frame pack (this was '91). That day he must have camped somewhere south of me, got up way early and past my side trail before I saw him.
    At least I can say I past Ward Leanard twice in one day.
    BTW my trail name was Smoke Magnet. I just found this site a few days ago. I've been reminiscing about the hike and I googled the AT to find this forum. It's great fun reading this stuff. I now live 10 minutes from Hughes Gap and Iron Mt. Gap near Buladean, NC. I've picked up many a hitchiker at Iron Mt. Gap.

Cool story. It's always interesting to hear from folks who hiked awhile ago, it gives a very different perspective to people's perception of the Trail.

Welcome to Whiteblaze and I hope you post often.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++