Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question waterproof/breathable hoodless jacket?

does anyone know if one exists on the market? otherwise, does anyone have any ideas about sewing my own --- recommended pattern, fabric, features? i might just cut the hood off my precip jacket though. -- reasons ---- i wear glasses, and a hood doesn't cut it in keeping the water off my glasses, and i just can't see. other reason, i hate the crinkle sound of hood vs. hearing if someone is even walking up behind me. i have a great hat to wear --- some version of a waterproof/breathable outdoor research hat. (sahala?) i have considered using one of the patterns from thru-hiker.com, maybe adding pit zips ..... thank you. d

find a (hooded) jacket you like, then a capable person to do a hood-ectomy on it. Probably more likely to get what you want/need that way.

GAME 2000
    Images

Denise,

You don't have to use the hood... and there might be times when it is cold and windy where it comes in handy, especially when you wear a ball cap as the cap will keep the rain out of your eyes and force the hood to turn when you turn your head. Hoods also don't blow off in the wind. Why don't you just use what you have for a while and see if it will work okay.

Youngblood

Default the hood

i've used the hood, we've all used the hood. i am capable of cutting it off, making it even 'zip-off' --- it's kinda hard to cut something off an already expensive jacket though my hat has a string that will secure it in windy conditons. i will likely have some kind of fleece hat with earflaps too. maybe one of those lt. wt. m.h. 'andinista' (i think) little hats.
    i have about 2 months until i hit the trail, and though i've used the hood, i don't like the hood.

Images

The hoods on the Frogg Toggs and O2 jackets are worthless. Worthless things are almost non-existent. Still, I would like to find the same thing as I usually have a hat with me while hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by chris
    The hoods on the Frogg Toggs and O2 jackets are worthless. Worthless things are almost non-existent. Still, I would like to find the same thing as I usually have a hat with me while hiking.
    O2 makes a hoodless jacket : http://www.rainshield.com/p_cycling.html
    item # 1111

GAME 2000
    Images

That's a pretty strong opinion Chris. I don't have a problem with the hood on my Frogg Toggs... but, I use a ball cap with mine. I've also heard good things about the O2 hoodless jacket that Gravity Man mentioned.

Youngblood

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood
    That's a pretty strong opinion Chris. I don't have a problem with the hood on my Frogg Toggs... but, I use a ball cap with mine. I've also heard good things about the O2 hoodless jacket that Gravity Man mentioned.

Youngblood

Maybe I have a peculiarly long neck and extra large melon. Still, I find it hard to imagine that the hood could actually keep the rain out of a hikers face. It does add some warmth, however, for hikers not carrying a balaclava.

I did some shell shopping a few months back and was torn between Moonstone's Storm Flight and Nitro jackets. The former has a smaller stow-away hood (rolls into the collar). I bought the nitro, a bit more feature rich but no stowable collar I used a Marmot precip for the 2 preceeding years, but my son more or less appropriated it. I had the opportunity to do a 2 hr side by side test in some nasty weather to see how they compared. The Moonstone fabric was much more breathable and no part of it wet out even in very heavy rain. The Old Marmot, still beaded rain nicely everywhere but the cuffs, a problem since brand new. Overall the Moonstone jackets were better made and offered some nicer features you find in the ultra high end Arcteryx shells but at a very reasonable price. BTW, I also wear glasses and have found an old ball cap worn under the hood keeps the rain out off my glasses and the hood keeps those pesky drops from running under the collar when it really starts pouring.

Images

Check out the REI Ultralight jacket. It has a brimmed hood that zips off if you don't want to use it. http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH
    "If trees could talk, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? Maybe....if they screamed all the time, and for no good reason" - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by denise
    does anyone know if one exists on the market?
    Go to any cycling store or online web site. The cheapest lightest is the Rainshield O2 jacket. Pearl Izumi and Gill make hoodless cycling jackets out of eVENT. There are a lot of companies which might hoodless jackets out of Gore-Tex.

--mark

http://www.myspace.com/officialbillville Mountain Dew's Avatar

Mountainsports.com will have what you are looking for.
    THE Mairnttt...Boys of Dryland '03 (an unplanned Billville suburb)
    http://www.AT2003.com
    [email protected]
    http://www.myspace.com/hudson_hartson

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Maybe I have a peculiarly long neck and extra large melon. Still, I find it hard to imagine that the hood could actually keep the rain out of a hikers face. It does add some warmth, however, for hikers not carrying a balaclava.
    I find the hood on my O2 jacket a bit too short as well. I can wear it without a hat on, but with a hat on it pulls the bill down a bit.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

I ain't never not seen a jacket that is actually waterproof/breathable over the course of a long distance hike. Some are better than others though. I use a Patagonia jacket, although I don't recall the actual model. The pit zips help.

By the way, I actually heard someone recently use the triple negative that I opened this post with. Simply amazing!
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    ...By the way, I actually heard someone recently use the triple negative that I opened this post with. Simply amazing!
    That's one way of looking at it and if you do it can get confusing because two negatives make a positive and three negatives make a negative... the other way to look at it is that it is really really negative.

Default huh?

triple hoodless event what? negative shell?

Default Hat vs. Hood and Cap

Quote Originally Posted by denise
    i've used the hood, we've all used the hood. i am capable of cutting it off, making it even 'zip-off' --- it's kinda hard to cut something off an already expensive jacket though my hat has a string that will secure it in windy conditons. i will likely have some kind of fleece hat with earflaps too. maybe one of those lt. wt. m.h. 'andinista' (i think) little hats.
    i have about 2 months until i hit the trail, and though i've used the hood, i don't like the hood.
    Hey folks-here's an old person's perspective.I hate the hood also.I will
    NOT wear a hood without a cap underneath it.As others have stated it
    makes the hood "behave" and turn and protects eyes and lenses from the
    moisture.Old guys like me won't go outside without something on the head
    to protect from either rain or worse-the sun.
    That said- I second the motion to consider a real honest to goodness hat.
    Suntamer makes one out of pvc that is totally waterproof and one size
    fits all,too.Probably wont work for us external frame types but if you are
    a "withit" young person with an internal that doesnt come up over the
    back of your head then you could make do nicely.I can use my external
    and still wear a real hat so long as the brim is no more than 21/2 inches.
    The really great thing about a hat is that you can spray 100% DEET all
    over the underside of the brim and waterproofing on top of the brim and
    you got bug and weather protection going on simultaneously without putting that Darn Deet stuff on your skin.(i ruined a perfectly good leather
    recliner with deet before i realized that stuff would eat not only leather but
    also plastic.)After that the DEET goes only on hats and socks etc.
    Fleece ear protection is availble for caps from Cabelas.It can be worn with
    or without any cap and/or under a hat as well.
    Cheers to all.
    Oldfivetango

GAME 2000
    Images

oldfivetango,

Permithrin is what is recommended for clothing and DEET is what is recommended for skin. I have a OR Goretex rain hat but found that is was pretty warm when I was hiking. 'Breathable' is a relative term and the waterproof/breathable stuff isn't all that breathable when you are generating a lot of heat... but if it works for you, that is what counts.

Youngblood

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood
    'Breathable' is a relative term and the waterproof/breathable stuff isn't all that breathable when you are generating a lot of heat... but if it works for you, that is what counts.
    Breathable is a marketing term for water transport. Gore and othere WP/B grear typically does a good job moving water inside to out, but the fact that you have sealed yourself in wind-less bag is what makes them so hot. Unfortunatley, the marketing folks did a great job selecting the term "breathable" as many folks incorrectly think it means "comfortable". As "breathable" sort of implies some type of air movment.

This is the reason why pitzips help (despite what Jardine says) as they ecourage air movement and thus convectional heat loss (something Jardine must have never heard of). This is also the reason why a 3oz windshirt does a great job and keeping you "warm" (which Jardine seems to understand, go figure).
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Although not hoodless, the Integral designs eVent jacket is awesome. It is HIGHLY breathable & at least in the shower , very water proof. Now, like I said it does have a hood, and I wear mine with a visor which works great. But, I have found that you don't need the visor, though it helps. Plus, it is only 8 oz!!! Pretty good for a full zip waterproof breathable jacket. I love mine especially compared to my old precip. There really is no comparison, the eVent is so much better all around. Just my thoughts. We did a lot of research & this seems to be a fabulous ultra light yet highly functional & performing option.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++