WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Glasses for the AT???

I currently wear Prada RX'd glasses, but I think there is a good chance I will break these while hiking and at $700 for this pair I am not willing to risk breaking them. What are a realiable Rx-able frames or brand for the trail? Oakley, Maui Jim I would like to combine sunglasses and non if possible???

Images

Just go to your eyedoc and say "I want cheap, tough, hikable sun/ eyeglasses." Problem solved.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

I wear my oakleys with no problem. They aren't prescription though.

i heard about ordering from china for dirt cheap but i didnt have all the info necessary. went to good old target and got a cheap pair and a pair of Rx sunglasses for $200

Images

Pearle Vision or Walmart, Both have a good selection of Regular and sunglasses and transition lenses as well at reasonable prices.

Images

most eye glasses get broken in shelters when you leave them where someone walks on them at night.

Get a good strong heavy hard plastic case to keep them in. Don't scrimp on the weight. Don't keep them where someone will step on them in the dark.

I usually don't sleep in shelters. I sleep in my tent. I have rigged a string in the top of my tent where I can hang my glasses at night. Can't be stepped on. Can always find them even in the dark.

Panzer
    Last edited by Panzer1; 03-17-2011 at 20:50.

This side of the dirt
    Images

In 09 i lost my very good glasses on the trail to Calf Mountain Shelter. I looked two or three times during daylight and then went out after dark hoping the flashlight beam might have reflected off the lenses - no such luck.

I could not read my trail guide or map without them. Now when I hike or do outdoor activity I wear/carry a pair of "readers" from Walgreens or CVS.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    Pearle Vision or Walmart, Both have a good selection of Regular and sunglasses and transition lenses as well at reasonable prices.
    I strongly disagree. Quality optician can beat their pricing and orders a better quality blank. Even after the sale gimmicks. I have had 5-6 frames from Pearl, as I was traveling alot, adjustment etc.

Flexon by Marchon, not the version sold by Pearl. Transition coating, or full polarized for dedicated sunglasses. I have found that if the sun is overhead, I really miss the boxy wrap arounds. Can't beat those for coverage.

Hard case.

Images

I've got Rx Oakley frames which have held up nicely. Got the Transitions lenses which I found to be great in an alpine environment, but not so much so on the AT.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

+1 to the Oakley frames. Mine have been great.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

ZenniOptical.com

I ordered 2 pair of prescription glasses and 1 pair of prescription sunglasses. Set me back about $115.

The only issue is you need to be very aware of your comfort zone for eyewear and how wide your face is. My pair of flexible wire glasses fit extremely well - my pair of thicker metal glasses? Not so much - but my own fault, because I love how they look and figured a "Medium" style could conform to my very wide face; not so! I had to bend them a bit to get them to fit without giving me a headache. The sunglasses look great but I also picked a frame too narrow for my face; my own fault.

But I would buy from them again in a heartbeat.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

My .02. Be careful of glasses that don't leave space between your face and the lens. You'll find fogging is an issue nearly every day. I like the flexible metal frames for durability. Have not yet found sunglasses all that useful as most of my travel has been in the woods. That said, my backup pair of glasses are my sunglasses--helpful when on roadwalks or in town. Second the recommendation on a hard case, tho I've seen home made cases out of bubble wrap or closed cell foam.

Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Knows View Post
    i heard about ordering from china for dirt cheap but i didnt have all the info necessary. went to good old target and got a cheap pair and a pair of Rx sunglasses for $200
    http://www.zennioptical.com/

Highly recommended and used my Clark Howard.

I keep a pair of costco readers in my pack. 3 glasses for $20.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've worn my glasses for two AT hikes and the only time I had an issue was on the first night when I forgot to remove them and a glass popped out. Other than that I have never broken them. Glasses are fine in the trail. Put them in a good case at night.

I also didn't have a fogging issue unless it was extremely humid (like during a t-storm) or I was overdressed in the rain
    Last edited by Blissful; 03-18-2011 at 13:12.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

I sectioned the majority of the trail with one pair of glasses and a pair of prescription sunglasses. The sunglasses were the only ones that ending up breaking, and only once.

The last 300 or so miles of the trail I wore contacts and really liked hiking in them. I used to think it'd be difficult to keep things clean and avoid eye infections, but I had no problems. I'd recommend looking into them for the trail.

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Oh, and the glasses I wore weren't particularly sturdy. I think, as others have said, the most common time for glasses to be broken is at night when they aren't on your face. If you get a good, sturdy case you should be good. I doubt you'd have to worry about them breaking while actually hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    I've got Rx Oakley frames which have held up nicely. Got the Transitions lenses which I found to be great in an alpine environment, but not so much so on the AT.
    Do you have a link?

My everyday pair of glasses is a set of Nike frames. They are made from something called Flexon. Super durable and light. I can literally ball them up in my hand and they will spring back. Been wearing them for two years now and haven't had a problem with screws coming out.

I have a pair of sport goggle type sunglasses for the mountain bike rides. The NIkes are durable enough that I will wear them riding the trails when its too dark for the shades. With one of those stretchy glasses keeper bands of course.

Around $200 for the frames. May be a bit high for a back-up pair, but I had to spread the word on these.

Images

There are a lot of places where you can order glasses online, if you have your prescription handy. Personally I'd get the cheapest, lightest frames available, and keep a spare pair in my bounce box. I'm even thinking of getting those transitions lenses for myself so that I have glasses and sunglasses without having to carry extra.

Images

Carry one of those tiny eyeglass repair kits WITH the mini screwdriver. The weight is next to nothing, and it will seriously save you if your glasses have an issue.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++