We are new to backpacking - but do hike and ride bikes. We are have been gearing up with practice hikes with gradually loading our packs and hiking progressively longer distances. I am wearing new Salomon Trail Runners (that feel incredible!) along with medium weight Smartwool socks.

Everything had been great - but when I loaded my pack up to 32 lbs. and hiked the same four hilly miles we had hiked previously my ball of my left foot started having a very gruesome burning pain!!! The first day I encountered the pain was while I was wearing a new pair of Salomon Hiking boots with the 32 lb pack. So I blamed the pain on the hiking boots. Went out the next day with my Salomon Trail Runners and the 32 lb. pack and within 1.25 miles the pain was back.

Came home and googled my pain - it had a name: metatarsalgia. I'm making an appointment with a Podiatrist on Monday.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and was able to address it so they were able to backpack some distance. We are not going far. Our plans are to do the 41 miles in Maryland over a five day time frame.

Thanks for any help, ideas or suggestions you may have.

Footnote : I'm 62 - according to my Wii I could loose 15 lbs to be in the right BMI - one of my questions to the doctor will be about my weight. Also, this is a pain I have encountered when cross-country sking the few times I go out in the winter.