WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Georgia Section

Im not very experienced, but I made it from Springer, backtracking from Big Stamp to the terminus and then NOBO to Woody Gap in a day and a half. That was my first shot and carrying way too much. If you are planning to hike the approach, don't forget about those 8 or so miles that might bring you to Mountain Crossing in 4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I know you're young and in good shape so don't take this wrong.

By "Franklin," I presume you mean Winding Stair Gap, US Rt. 64. Springer to Winding Stair Gap is 107.6 miles. If you're hiking up the Approach Trail from the Springer Lodge, it's an additional 7.6 miles. IMO, 115 miles in 7 days is a bit ambitious.

Keep in mind that most of Georgia is up-and-down. Granted, the trail is well-graded and no ascents are > 1,000', most are less but you are spending most of the day ascending and descending. At the NC border, the trail is quite steep for a short stretch up to Courthouse Bald & Sharp Top. Further ahead in NC, Big Butt is a slab with rocky footing and Albert Mountain is steep like some of the New England mountains.

Of course you know best what pace you're capable of and/or desire. But I will say that even if you're superfit aerobically, carrying a backpack and hiking up and down mountains will stress parts of your body - knees, feet, hips, quads.

Food for thought. Whatever you decide, have a great hike! It's a very nice section of trail.

Thanks! Im not setting any certain date or amount of time it will take, Im just trying to get a reference. What I'll do is set a destination and find out how long it takes to get there.
    "We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, it's to create something that will." - Chuck Palahnuik | Mid. March, 2015. | Leave No Trace | http://www.lnt.org

me and afew tenneseans are also doin georgia starting next week .we r planning on averaging about 11 or 12 miles daily.starting at u.s.f.r.42 on top of springer.i am assuming that there are good campsites ever 11 or 12 miles.(since mileage want work out to stay close to shelters) any recommendations on campsites.thanks

I will be doing Neels Gap to probably Deep Gap in mid June. I am planning to do it in 4 days. Here is my rough itinerary:

Day 1: Neels Gap to Low Gap Shelter (10.8 miles)
    Day 2: Low Gap Shelter to Tray Mtn Shelter (15 miles)
    Day 3: Tray Mtn Shelter to Plumorchard Gap Shelter (15.5 miles)
    Day 4: Plumorchard Gap Shelter to Deep Gap (11.3 miles)

This will also be my first solo hike so I must admit I will be a little nervous about that...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Images

about 7 days -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++