WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Georgia Section

Default Georgia Section

I'll be taking this under coming up in May / June time frame. How long did it take you to do the GA section? All 76 miles.. and were there ample shelters along the trail? I'm trying to get my time off planned out.

Thanks,
    "We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, it's to create something that will." - Chuck Palahnuik | Mid. March, 2015. | Leave No Trace | http://www.lnt.org

There are plenty of shelters in Georgia. And campsites galore. I'm a fat old man who does Georgia in 7 days. But that is of little value for a 21 yr old.

Images

I did the GA section in 06 straight off the couch in 6 days. Loads of shelters, lots of even better campsites. Can't wait for my train down south in a week!
    -milkman

got soul?

Johnny, are you thru-ing it or are you just sectioning it? Thanks for your info. And thank you, fatman as well. It's a good reference.
    "We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, it's to create something that will." - Chuck Palahnuik | Mid. March, 2015. | Leave No Trace | http://www.lnt.org

me and my roommate will be hiking the Georgia section in mid may. Getting pretty excited

Journal Entries
    Images

a week not much more then that
    I don't know

Thanks, guys. Is it a safe bet to carry 4 days worth of food to make it to Neels Gap?

Quote Originally Posted by Flaps15 View Post
    I'll be taking this under coming up in May / June time frame. How long did it take you to do the GA section? All 76 miles.. and were there ample shelters along the trail? I'm trying to get my time off planned out.

Thanks,
    Keep in mind that the last road crossing in GA (US Rt 76 at Dick's Creek Gap) is 67 miles and that the GA/NC line is in the middle of the forest near Bly Gap. So if you really want to literally hike all of GA to the border, you have 2 choices: (1) backtrack those 9 miles from the border to the road; or (2) hike on an additional 7 miles in NC to Deep Gap where you can exit via Forest Service Rd. 71.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks, guys. Is it a safe bet to carry 4 days worth of food to make it to Neels Gap?
    It would depend on where your starting, and how fast you move. For the most part yes
    I don't know

Images

I'm planning to do Georgia in May as well, maybe I'll see some of you guys out there.

My wife and I did it in 6 days, one day was 5 or so miles to Neel Gap and the another day was 3 or 4 miles to Dicks Gap where we got off to get into Hiawassee. So you could push and do it in less no problem.
    Keep in mind what Cookerhiker said about the true border. It is the reason we got off at Dick's Creek Gap, instead of at Bly Gap. We were thinking of tagging that border as well.
    Schnikel

Default Georgia section

4.5 days. Enjoyed it very much. It all depends on how much you like to hang around the shelters.

Images

Default Ga

I'll be hiking from Springer to Franklin NC, April 10 - 16 or 17th.

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    There are plenty of shelters in Georgia. And campsites galore. I'm a fat old man who does Georgia in 7 days. But that is of little value for a 21 yr old.
    7 days?? man you walk to fast.. Did you see anything..??

Being one from the city with the nearest Mountains 4 hours away, I must say, doing Georgia, I'd take my own sweet time.. And not because Im fat..yes, I am fat too.. But thats a whole nother story..
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Images

5 - 6 days should be plenty if you are in decent shape and like to hike most of the day

Images

you'll see plenty and enjoy yourself

Looks like I'll be going from Springer Mtn, GA to Franklin, NC. I guess I'll bank on 7 days just to be safe. I read its about 3 days to get to the first town (Neel's Gap) from Springer. How correct is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    you'll see plenty and enjoy yourself

Another Athenian? What part of Athens?

Looks like I'll be going from Springer Mtn, GA to Franklin, NC. I guess I'll bank on 7 days just to be safe. I read its about 3 days to get to the first town (Neel's Gap) from Springer. How correct is this?
    I know you're young and in good shape so don't take this wrong.

By "Franklin," I presume you mean Winding Stair Gap, US Rt. 64. Springer to Winding Stair Gap is 107.6 miles. If you're hiking up the Approach Trail from the Springer Lodge, it's an additional 7.6 miles. IMO, 115 miles in 7 days is a bit ambitious.

Keep in mind that most of Georgia is up-and-down. Granted, the trail is well-graded and no ascents are > 1,000', most are less but you are spending most of the day ascending and descending. At the NC border, the trail is quite steep for a short stretch up to Courthouse Bald & Sharp Top. Further ahead in NC, Big Butt is a slab with rocky footing and Albert Mountain is steep like some of the New England mountains.

Of course you know best what pace you're capable of and/or desire. But I will say that even if you're superfit aerobically, carrying a backpack and hiking up and down mountains will stress parts of your body - knees, feet, hips, quads.

Food for thought. Whatever you decide, have a great hike! It's a very nice section of trail.
    Last edited by Cookerhiker; 03-22-2011 at 14:56.

Images

I did section from Springer to Deep Gap NC last July. Temps were in the 90s. It took us 7 days, and we are newbies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++