WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Side sleepers, how do you get comfortable?

The worst part of backpacking for me is bed time. I am typically a side sleeper and have a terrible time getting comfortable on a thin self inflating mattress. I am currently using the REI Trekker 1.75. I have been tempted to carry the extra weight and move up to the 3" base camp pad.

For a pillow I use my sleeping bag's stuff sack and put clothes in it. I also put a small stuff sack between my knees to keep them form hurting. At home I use a pillow.

I'm willing to carry a little more weight if anyone has advice that has worked.

Images

Have you tried a Neo-Air? That thing is thicker than my mattress at home!
    -milkman

got soul?

Hike smarter, not harder.

POE Ether Thermo 6. Been using one for 5 years. Fabulous.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

I have the NeoAir Large and it is very comfortable, I am a side sleeper, mostly.
    I however just received the Nemo Cosmo Air mattress which is 3 inches thick, Has a built in pump, And it is made of a thicker material than my NeoAir and therefore is heavier at 29 ounces, But I tried it out when I got it and found it to be even more comfortable than my Neo, I attribute the extra comfort to the extra thickness, I did not touch the floor through the mattress as easily as with the Neo. I have not decided to completely give up on my Neo but I have decided to use the Nemo Cosmo on my Thru-Hike. I did not wake up sore on the Cosmo but have on the Neo, I would rather carry the extra weight and get a good nights rest so I can hike, If I wake up sore as I have with the Neo from time to time, My back is messed up and I can barely move. I don't have the healthiest back and that certainly doesn't help.
    Good Luck!!

I am also a side sleeper and I am dreading this part of my thru-hike next year. I did some research and came across the Exped Synmat 9 Deluxe Air pad. 77.5" wide and 3.5" thick! I haven't tried this yet but it looks amazing!
    http://www.rei.com/product/780369

Only thing is, it weighs over 2 and a half pounds and it will probably cost more than my sleeping bag!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peasantgirl View Post
    I am also a side sleeper and I am dreading this part of my thru-hike next year. I did some research and came across the Exped Synmat 9 Deluxe Air pad. 77.5" wide and 3.5" thick! I haven't tried this yet but it looks amazing!
    http://www.rei.com/product/780369

Only thing is, it weighs over 2 and a half pounds and it will probably cost more than my sleeping bag!
    I also looked at this but went with the Nemo Cosmo Air when I saw the 42 ounce weight of the Exped. Does look comfy though!!

Thanks for the tips on the Neo Air.

At less than a pound it is much lighter than the self inflating pad I'm using now, just 3x as expensive.

I'll have to sleep on it.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Big Agnes makes their Insulated Air Core Pad. 2.5" thick, various lengths, 22 oz for a 66", R 4.1 $75-$110 http://www.rei.com/product/763953
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Big Agnes makes their Insulated Air Core Pad. 2.5" thick, various lengths, 22 oz for a 66", R 4.1 $75-$110 http://www.rei.com/product/763953
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Journal Entries

Until there's a hammock, there's a Neoair....

Images

I used the NeoAir on my 2009 thru hike. I went through three of them.

THe first one delaminated internally and became shaped more like a balloon than a sleep pad. It didn't get me through Maine (going SOB). The second and third ones developed slow leaks that got progressively worse as the days went by. First I would have to add a puff or two of air once or twice a night. Then it grew to three or four puffs of air three or four times a night.

When it was fully inflated, it was a dream. I just wonder if they have made any material or manufacturing improvements such that this doesn't happen anymore. For thru hiking, based on my experience, this pad was just too delicate ... perfect when it worked, bur not durable. I will probably buy a new one this year, hoping it might be more durable for overnight hikes and occasional section hikes.

Will finish someday ;)

I have the NeoAir Trekker Torso Large.
    http://www.rei.com/product/810375
    Great for side sleepers like myself and has the 25" width.
    The (Shorter) Large Torso only weighs 16oz.

Also, it has the standard covering and not the 'noisy light crinkle' covering.
    Should prove to be more durable too.
    Very pleased with it.

Images

Another vote for the Big Agnes. It's heavier than the Neo Air, but much cheaper, especially if you are patient and wait for it to go on sale. Big Agnes has fabulous customer service.

BTW, while I love inflatables, when they go bust, you're left with nothing. Not fun. I always also carry 6 sections of Z-rest with me. That's my sit-upon for meal stops and breaks and camp cooking. It also normally goes under the inflatable, to help protect it from punctures. And if the inflatable fails, I have something warm to lie down on, and to attempt to sleep in something less than comfort.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

I had problems sleeping on the trail until I went with the Big Agnes sleep system. Just bought a new bag from them, can't see myself using anything else.
    It's a great day to be alive !

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Big agnes inflatable. my hip touches only air.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have the Big Agnes and also sleep on my side, occasionally my stomach too. I am 6'1" 205# and the BA was roomy enough for me to roll over and pull my knees up a little. I rustle around a lot when I sleep and rarely felt the floor under me. I used my wadded up coat as a pillow and stuffed the mattresses stuff sack with clothes to make a small pillow for my legs and knees.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Neo air all the way. Better than Big Agnes air core and much lighter too. I used both and sleep better on it.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

I am willing to care a bit more weight to be more comfortable at night, so I bought an Exped 7 it is the most comfortable thing I have found yet. It is half a pound heavier than my thermarest but that is ok with me. I also take a thermarest pillow. That is it for luxury in my pack......so far anyway.

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

oops carry not care

For me it's either hammock or NeoAir (size large). Depends on the season and what I'm in the mood for as to which one I bring.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++