WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Default Bear North of Neals Gap

Looks like the bag stealing bear between Neals Gap and Low Gap is up to his usual tricks:

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=339166

hang those bags well thru hikers
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Should've put their food in their tent where it's safe. I wish they would've taken a pic of their hanging job.

El Sordo
    Images

a repeat performance last night.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Should've put their food in their tent where it's safe. I wish they would've taken a pic of their hanging job.
    Then possibly have a destroyed tent as well..It's this sort of thinking that creates the nuisance bears and problems for every one in the first place..not hanging food is just laziness and asking for problems for yourself and others..I wish there were rangers patrolling the entire AT and writing tickets with huge fines for not hanging food and not just in GSMNP ..I really don't care who this reply pisses off either...

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRidgeRunner View Post
    Then possibly have a destroyed tent as well..It's this sort of thinking that creates the nuisance bears and problems for every one in the first place..not hanging food is just laziness and asking for problems for yourself and others..I wish there were rangers patrolling the entire AT and writing tickets with huge fines for not hanging food and not just in GSMNP ..I really don't care who this reply pisses off either...
    i disagree. shoulda hung the bags better. i'll always sleep with my food on the AT

Images

yes. The trail must be converted to a police state!

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

. . . .I wish there were rangers patrolling the entire AT and writing tickets with huge fines for not hanging food and not just in GSMNP. . . .
    Worst post ever. My Grandpa used to say "Wish in one hand and crap in the other, see which one fills up first". I think that one thing that folks who hike the AT are looking for is to leave the rules of modern "society" behind. There aren't a lot of rules on the AT, just act like you have common sense and all will be well. The very notion of patrolling the AT for hikers not hanging their food bags the way you think they should be hung would be a huge drain on resources and is nothing short of ridiculous. Hike you own hike and I'll hike mine. We'll all be a lot beter off like that.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

I lost a bear around there.

Did it have a green collar on?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

I don't usually post in contentious threads, but I have a question. What is the advantage of sleeping with your food rather than hanging it? Potential consequences nothwithstanding, is it just that it's easier or is there another reason?

Images

This isn't contentious. If we get contentious you'll know it. Heck, nobody's even compared anyone ot Hitler yet...so this is downright cordial

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Newb View Post
    This isn't contentious. If we get contentious you'll know it. Heck, nobody's even compared anyone ot Hitler yet...so this is downright cordial
    is your first name Adolf??

Quote Originally Posted by Croft View Post
    I don't usually post in contentious threads, but I have a question. What is the advantage of sleeping with your food rather than hanging it? Potential consequences nothwithstanding, is it just that it's easier or is there another reason?
    the advantage is nothing will get your food. been keeping my food in my tent for 25 years. never once did an animal get to it

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    the advantage is nothing will get your food. been keeping my food in my tent for 25 years. never once did an animal get to it
    I've been hanging my food for 15 years and no animal has gotten it. Guess my concern with sleeping with my food is to have my sleep disturbed by animals around my tent drawn by the food odor. Have you ever had that happen?

Then possibly have a destroyed tent as well..It's this sort of thinking that creates the nuisance bears and problems for every one in the first place.....
    What creates nuisance bears are folks that do not hang their food properly (which is a HUGE number), or allow their food to be unattended. Those folks that had their food stolen by this bear are the ones that will cause it to die of lead poisoning.

Nuisance bears are NOT created by folks sleeping with their food.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

If I knew there were bears around, no way would I want to sleep with my food in the tent! I've done that plenty of times where I was not in bear country, but whenever I'm sleeping there I hang my food away from my tent.

Images

I'd only hang my bag if there was a KNOWN problem bear in the area. Otherwise it's in the tent with me, but not as a pillow, then I'd smoosh my pop-tarts and nutty bars. Clothes bag is the pillow of choice for me!!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac_in View Post
    Most of them anyway . . .
    very true.....there's always one or two.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    very true.....there's always one or two.

Just like hikers. . . .
    It's a great day to be alive !

one more thought people may want to keep in mind when thinking about whether to hang their food bags - when the GSMNP has "problem bears" that are raiding campgrounds and such, they trank them and carry them far away from the GSMNP, and release them in other wilderness areas, some of which aren't too far from the AT (or so I'm told by my uncle in TN). If those bears happen to come along your campsite, and they smell food in your tent, they just may not care that much that you happen to be there too. I'm not trying to be alarmist here, but hey, you're really taking chances sleeping with your food in bear country. most of the time you'll get away with it, but why take chances?? It's just not that much effort to hang it. And maybe you'll save a bears life, if not your own (highly unlikely anyone will be attacked of course)

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac_in View Post
    Just like hikers. . . .

and bikers... and yada...yada...yada...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++