WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Hiker rescued by chopper from Tri-Corner Knob shelter in GSMNP

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/162...ith-his-family

Hunter was scheduled to emerge from the park Thursday morning, following a 43 mile backpacking trip along the Appalachian Trail.

Images

No injury reported and a chopper rescue? It makes me wonder if he should have been out in the woods in the first place. I guess I need to hear the rest of the story, lots of gaps for me to call the guy a wuss.
    -milkman

got soul?

Images

Bah, watched the video and am glad the guy is home safe. Seeing Mom like that is always a tear jerker...
    -milkman

got soul?

Images

Default hipster fail.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyblisters View Post
    ...makes me wonder if he should have been out in the woods in the first place.
    and solo at that.

Images

Yea, chopper rescue? A little over kill. He is 23 years old..... chopper rescue cause he is a little thirsty?

It was only 3 days after he was due back, he wasn't hurt, not starvin and just a little thisrty. I hope he will stay indoors for now on, let mom take care of him.

Just wached the video .... bahhh, stay indoors for now on buddy.
    Last edited by wrongway_08; 03-21-2011 at 20:08.

If this guy had to pay for his extraction he would think a long time before doing something that was, evidently, beyond his abilities. Who knows, it might get the attention of other want-to-be backpackers.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway_08 View Post
    Yea, chopper rescue? A little over kill. He is 23 years old..... chopper rescue cause he is a little thirsty?

It was only 3 days after he was due back, he wasn't hurt, not starvin and just a little thisrty. I hope he will stay indoors for now on, let mom take care of him.
    You have seen the fire hydrant... I mean piped spring at Tri Corner Knob haven't you?

It's just a weird story all around... He was only 16 miles from Davenport Gap from the shelter and 15 miles of that was 99.99% downhill.

Seems to me like he'd bummed a Clif Bar off one of the hikers or something, got some water and just walked on out.

Dang, it'd be heinous to be lifted out by chopper from a shelter.

Ditched his pack, big mistake. Anyone can get lost though, not gunna give him a hard time.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Journal Entries
    Images

I guess the chopper pilot must have needed some flight time. Weird story. Uninjured, found the trail, shelter and other hikers and STILL needed a chopper to get out? Must be more to the story...

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiKen2011 View Post
    Ditched his pack, big mistake. Anyone can get lost though, not gunna give him a hard time.
    Didn't catch the part about him ditching his pack...but ..you're right that was a BIG mistake.... I once did that (while Deer hunting) many years ago....had shot a Deer just before dark....figured..I'll leave my pack, come back tomorrow and get it rather than drag the Deer and carry my rifle and pack ( didn't leave my rifle though) then got lost dragging the Deer ..no pack, no dry clothing and getting cold enough to be life threatening with wet clothes and no pack... like a dummie I didn't even take a bic with me.. fortunately though found the road in time...the moral is NEVER ditch your pack under any circumstances... you're right ..people can get lost and I've known some very experienced outdoors men to get temporarily misplaced..no need to ridicule this guy...he has has a hard enough time.. maybe the chopper rescue was more for his Mom than him...

So, he's lost and decides to keep going uphill? Why didn't he just follow Ramsey Prong back down since that was the way he came up?
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Images

That's why UT and Clemson students wear orange…

Road crew from Monday thru Friday.
    Football on Saturday.
    Get rescued from the AT on Sundays.

Shoulda went to Carolina.

Just kiddin………..

Further proof that the GSMNP attracts all sorts of idiots attempting adventures that they don't have the skills for. This was not a case of bad luck; it was a bad case of stupidity.IMHO
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Journal Entries
    Images

Great news to hear he made it out ok!! Agree, Never ditch the pack!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Make one poor decision (i.e. bushwhacking), add dehydration and exposure and one's ability to make good decisions is impaired (leaving his pack behind). Cut the guy some slack. Just glad he came out relatively unscathed and I'm sure learned a few lessons.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Croft View Post
    Make one poor decision (i.e. bushwhacking), add dehydration and exposure and one's ability to make good decisions is impaired (leaving his pack behind). Cut the guy some slack. Just glad he came out relatively unscathed and I'm sure learned a few lessons.
    Like how much a helicopter ride costs?
    -milkman

got soul?

This kid doesn't need "slack", he needs to be kept in close proximity by a caretaker/parent. He deserves no more slack than the Iranians are giving those American idiots who claim they were hiking on or near the Iranian border. If the guy was on some sort of suicide hike/mission, he also needs serious psychological help.

Food for thought... SAR team members (pilots/ground teams, etc) literally risk their lives to respond to calls for help. I am amazed that the pilot picked him up at all... The alarmingly cavalier use of hand held personal locating beacons by those who could and should have SELF RESCUED, or more to the point should never have entered the back country without the requisite skills for self sufficiency, has become the bane of the SAR team's existence. Unless as otherwise stated that there may have been some extenuating circumstances precipitating the need for his "rescue", the pilot has perhaps done this individual and others like him a disservice by facilitating his easy exit from the situation. Barring the potentiality of said circumstances, the pilot should have taken this guy to school inasmuch as personal responsibility and education in the back country are concerned, handed him some water and a map, and sent him on his way minus one helicopter ride. The decision to call in a rescue unit should never be made lightly. Having worked Search and Rescue, and having a son who does as well, I feel that we owe it to the selfless men and women of our nations SAR teams to be EXTREMELY judicious in our requests for their help. Not dyin'? Keep tryin'!

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

And I thought I was an idiot! Lets see, going cross country in the smokies seems like a good idea. How about if I get rid of all my food, water, clothes, sleeping gear, etc. OK, I get lucky and get to a shelter and can walk out with no injuries, but a ride in a hellicopter does sound like fun! Couldn't get a snack and water from the other hikers who were at the shelter? This guy should pay for his "rescue".
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by Ashevillian View Post
    That's why UT and Clemson students wear orange…

Road crew from Monday thru Friday.
    Football on Saturday.
    Get rescued from the AT on Sundays.

Shoulda went to Carolina.

Just kiddin………..
    I'm singing "Rocky Top" at the top of my lungs just now "just for YOU"
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++