WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking 2005 Hiker Event Calendar

Additions or corrections to this list, please!

This calendar will be updated asahp as more info comes in, thanks to all who have contributed!

Other Trail/AT/Hiker event calendars:
    Last edited by attroll; 06-16-2005 at 01:39.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Angry

Darn ...nothing in Wyoming again this year.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

tideblazer
    Images

the SE foottrails conference (AHS) in SC last weekend of April
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger
    Darn ...nothing in Wyoming again this year.
    Hi 'Slogger! We're boycotting Wyoming, you have too much great hiking!
    Unless, that is, you want to throw the First Wyoming Ruck-odeo? I remember Mags mentioned an idea for a CDT Ruck a while back - maybe this calendar will inspire some folks to invent events!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Wookie
    the SE foottrails conference (AHS) in SC last weekend of April

http://www.americanhiking.org/alliance/sessions.html

Thanks Wookie. For a full list of trainings and educational sessions, please take a look at the link above. Tha Wookie is one of our many presenters. If you are involved with a non-profit, or interested in becoming a volunteer, or interested in how to build and maintain trails correctly, or you just want to meet a lot of really hard working and dedicated trail folks, you won't want to miss this event. It's gonna be a hoot! There's some great hiking in the area too!
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Default Wyo-ruck

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej
    Unless, that is, you want to throw the First Wyoming Ruck-odeo? I remember Mags mentioned an idea for a CDT Ruck a while back - maybe this calendar will inspire some folks to invent events!
    ======================
    Now you're talking !! A WESRUCK. No problem finding a place to hold the event. Lots more land than people out here.

But yeah ....guess we do have some pretty awesome hiking out here, not mention the fantastic down-hill, x-country sking and snowshoeing.

Images

For west coasters, there is the ADZPCTKOP. It is happening at Lake Morena, CA (20 PCT miles in from the border) on April 22-24. (Fri-Sat). There might actually be a few whiteblaze people there this year. I should be there this year, along with perhaps, a few others. My lovely ladies from the GDT (also PCT vets) might show as well.

Another event missed is the CIFD, which is scheduled for June 10 here in Lakewood. A most important event, at least for me.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej
    Yep..life got in the way. OK...spring Rockies Ruck? How does tht sound?

Here's my promise: I am going to visit the family in RI next week, when I get back, will work OT to find a place. How does that sound. No reason why we can't have a ruck!

Oh yes..there is the ADZPCTKOP held at the lLake Morena Campground in the last weekend of April. Then there is the ALDHA-W Gathering held the weekend before the Aldha-East.

Images

Hey Mags ...maybe we could invade the town of Encampment, over by the CDT. Nice river and good camping over there. Might wanna wait until the snow melts though. Pretty rough territory this time of year.

'Slogger

Images

Depending on when and where, I'd show.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chris
    Depending on when and where, I'd show.
    ========================
    OK ...that makes 3 of us. You, Mags and me. Can you have a Ruck with 3 people ??

'Slogger

Images

Why not? I was at a mini-Gathering in which there were four people total. Of course, we could do something daft and have it in the Grand Canyon in late March and hike for a week instead.

tideblazer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    http://www.americanhiking.org/alliance/sessions.html

Thanks Wookie. For a full list of trainings and educational sessions, please take a look at the link above. Tha Wookie is one of our many presenters. If you are involved with a non-profit, or interested in becoming a volunteer, or interested in how to build and maintain trails correctly, or you just want to meet a lot of really hard working and dedicated trail folks, you won't want to miss this event. It's gonna be a hoot! There's some great hiking in the area too!
    MOWGLI6, don't mention it. I think the conference deserves some attention. I just finished reading the "set list" of presentations, and I felt like I was reeling off a great Dead show from maybe '71-'72. Pardon the metaphor, but I just think that the list holds an incedible amount of variety and substance, and it sounds like an interesting ride. I hope to see some Whiteblazers there.

By the way, some people have emailed me before, asking about volunteering and careers in trail research. My collective answer is for those interested in trails for life should come and get auquainted with those who do.

All I can say is that I'll be there quaking in my sandals if I have to follow up my mentor like the list shows.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

I found this for Trail Days. Hopefully the site will be updated as the date becomes closer.

http://www.traildays.nstemp.com/

I hope to include Trail Days this year as part of my section hike. I'm looking forward to experiencing all that I've heard about it.

Default TJ, thank you again for posting that great list...

If I could make one constructive suggestion, it would be to add city and state next to every event in the list. Not all the newbies will know that Damascus is in VA, etc.

Perhaps you'd want to add an asterisk by the more major events (i.e., Trail Days) as well.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Rockie Rock

Quote Originally Posted by chris
    Why not? I was at a mini-Gathering in which there were four people total. Of course, we could do something daft and have it in the Grand Canyon in late March and hike for a week instead.

I'm biased..I would have it in the Denver area.

(Though a hike in the grand canyon.hmm..)

Here's why: Denver is a major hub. Easy to get to and from. Be it by bus, air or driving.

Plenty of hostels near or even on the CDT. (SIlverthorne, Grand Lake, Leadville. Grand Lake is probably the most scenic. Silverthorne is the easiet to get to, Leadville is way the heck up there and not as easy to get to if the weather is bad).

Even in winter, the climate of Colrado can be quite mild. On a sunny day in the high country, wow..much better than say southern New England where it is cold, damp, and full of black ice (and where I will be for a week!!!!!! At least I finally get to have some good seafood and Italian food for the first time in two years! ). Great hiking/snowshoeing if we want to.

And, well..I live in Colrado.

In all seriousness, though, it i probablyt is the easiet place in terms of gettng to and from for many people.

Anyway, when I get from Rhody the week of the 24th will put my thinking camp on. Mid March perhaps?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags
    I'm biased..I would have it in the Denver area.
    =====================================
    Mags ...keep me informed. Denver works, and I like the idea of Grand Lake up there by the Rocky Mountain National Park. Good choice !!

'Slogger

Oh yeah ...and the count is now at 4. My wife (Bad Ass Turtle - AT 2001) saw the post and said that she's definitely interested.

Thanks for all the help with updates!
    Teej

Images

I'm off the week of 18-27th of March for spring break and would definately be interested in doing a week of hiking/hanging out west somewhere. Let me know if you guys seriously consider a Colorado/Grand Canyon event.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train
    I'm off the week of 18-27th of March for spring break and would definately be interested in doing a week of hiking/hanging out west somewhere. Let me know if you guys seriously consider a Colorado/Grand Canyon event.
    ==========================
    A-Train ...that may be a tad early for an outing in this area, unless you're interested in something fairly extreme. Lot of the hiking out here is at 10,000 feet and above and there gobs of snow until late May or early June. Not saying that wouldn't be fun ...but it might be more enjoyable in early summer.

Besides ...I the wife and I decided to dust off our dive gear and go somewhere warm and sunny for Spring Break. We're headed for Belize.

'Slogger
    AT 2003

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++