WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default cannister fuel availability

Can anyone enlighten me as to the availability of canister fuel along the SIA/IAT at any or all parts from the US / Canadian border clear through to Crow Head, Newfoundland?

Thanks, planning a thru along with half the AT, 2011.

http://www.postholer.com/ontrail
    2011 H.F.-Duncannon, Katahdin-Rangeley
    2012 Springer-Erwin

Haven't hiked the whole way, but you need to understand that much of the area is sparsely inhabited. You will find towns with small grocery stores and sometimes a hardware store, but not necessarily an outfitter. You would need to plan your re-supply points carefully to buy cannisters in the larger centres.

thanks man. i figured alcohol stove was the way to go. I'll confirm with a few other contacts... appreciate the headsup

http://www.postholer.com/ontrail
    2011 H.F.-Duncannon, Katahdin-Rangeley
    2012 Springer-Erwin

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    Haven't hiked the whole way, but you need to understand that much of the area is sparsely inhabited. You will find towns with small grocery stores and sometimes a hardware store, but not necessarily an outfitter. You would need to plan your re-supply points carefully to buy cannisters in the larger centres.

Don't know about the New-Brunswick section, but in Quebec section, you will not find a real outfitter, except maybe in Matane, which is around 10 miles away from the trail and Gaspé ( at the very end). However, you will find fishing and hunting stores in Matapédia, Amqui and a basic grocery store in Parc national de la Gaspésie.

If you have a multi fuel stove, you should be fine. I can check the availability of canister fuel in Amqui if you want ( I live nearby).

++ New Posts ++