WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default GoLite Jam Pack overloaded

Future SOBO thru hiker here, just weighed pack and its going to be 40 pounds with everything when its rated for a maximum of 30 pounds. Its frameless, but I have a Purcell Trench Voyager grill lodged in back for a frame which should help a little with support. Anyone out there familiar with this pack who could give me guidance? Do maximums really mean anything?

Images

That pack is designed to safely carry loads up to 30#s. Its much better for the pack and your back to keep your weight under the max level. Unless you can get under that weight, I suggest looking for a different pack that can handle your load.

Unload your pack, spread everything out and inspect carefully. Anything that isn't used constantly (i.e. a 1/2 lb grill grate) should be left at home.
    -milkman

got soul?

I did the Georgia section last year at close to 40. Headed back down this year to continue. 40 isn't really all that bad, you won't be able to run down the trail as some people do, but it's definitely doable. Heck our soldiers fight in Afghanistan with 80 pounds on their back.

Quote Originally Posted by dragoro View Post
    I did the Georgia section last year at close to 40. Headed back down this year to continue. 40 isn't really all that bad, you won't be able to run down the trail as some people do, but it's definitely doable. Heck our soldiers fight in Afghanistan with 80 pounds on their back.
    The issue isn't a 40lb pack, it that it's 40lbs in a frameless UL pack.

I'm going to GA in 9 days, my JAm will only have around 20lbs with food, fuel, and water.

I'd suggest sharing your gear lists on the UL section of this board.

I tried carrying an older golite with 10lbs over the max spec last year and it was not comfortable. You really should lighten the load or switch to a more appropriate pack. I finally switched to a ULA Catalyst and it made a world of difference.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.
    - John Muir

http://postholer.com/revlee

Ditto what RevLee said.

The 30 pound maximum is about right. I have a GoLite Jam and I feel it maxing out around 28 pounds.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Need to post your gear list - bet you can cut lbs with your load. 40 lbs is way to heavy to start a SOBO

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

GoLite has been successful in popularizing light and ultralight gear, which is generally not a bad thing. One downside, though, is that less-experienced hikers see a GoLite pack in a big retailer, and don't understand that it's really a specialty item aimed at a very small group of hikers.

Any frameless rucksack, like the Jam, is great for very light or ultralight gear loads. We're talking base weights of maybe 12-15 pounds, max, and total weights under 25 pounds. 20 is better. A "traditional" 3-season gear load is generally over 20 or 25 pounds base weight and can weigh 40 pounds or more fully loaded. That just won't work in a frameless ruck for long distance hiking.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I carried about 36 lbs. in my Golite Dawn through the Hundred Mile Wilderness in the fall. You should be able to lighten up your load to less than mine (I was hiking solo and carried everything I needed including a 1 lb. water filter).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    The issue isn't a 40lb pack, it that it's 40lbs in a frameless UL pack.

I'm going to GA in 9 days, my JAm will only have around 20lbs with food, fuel, and water.

I'd suggest sharing your gear lists on the UL section of this board.
    40 was referring to age......

You should work on your reading comprehension.
    "..just weighed pack and its going to be 40 pounds with everything.. "

The OP's age is 23.

Sounds like a plan. I will get my gear on a list sometime soon and post it to figure out whats up? Are my essentials really luxury items?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kepley View Post
    Are my essentials really luxury items?

Two things:

1. You will find that some of what you consider "essential" now really isn't, and you'll stop carrying those items. So, yeah.

2. I expect that some of the gear you have is "traditional backpacking" gear -- i.e., heavy. Not what would normally go in an ultralight frameless rucksack. (The grill sort of gives this away.)

Take all your gear, including the pack, but not including food or water. Weigh it all. If it's more than 12 pounds, you probably need a different pack. Or a lot less/different gear. A frameless ruck works best with UL loads of 10-12 pound base weights and 20-22 pound total loads. While 30 pounds may be possible in a Jam, I sure wouldn't want to carry it more than a couple of miles.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Just bought the GoLite Terrono 70 Liter which supposedly can carry up to 60 pounds. Paid $165 after 40% off coupon code.

40 isn't really all that bad

The Golite Jam is supposed to be the final purchase. The purchase after you've already posted a gear list and weighed all your stuff. The purchase long after you know that you don't need to bring a barbecue grill on a long distance hike.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Future SOBO thru hiker here, just weighed pack and its going to be 40 pounds with everything when its rated for a maximum of 30 pounds. Its frameless, but I have a Purcell Trench Voyager grill lodged in back for a frame which should help a little with support. Anyone out there familiar with this pack who could give me guidance? Do maximums really mean anything?
    Please note that the first word in the brand name of your pack. GoLite. The rough translation is Go Light meaning do not carry 40 pounds of unnecessary gear. The pack was not designed for this.

The fact that you are carrying a trench grill tells me exactly how unprepared and poor your planning is. Good luck.

I have cancelled my order for the GoLite Terrono 70L. I decided that I am actually going to go against BigCranky, Johnnyblisters, Flemdog, and others "advice" and go ahead with the thru hike with my frameless Jam. I'm not going to lessen the load, but rather force my body to adapt to the load. Who knows, maybe I'll figure out a way to rearrange the stuff in the pack to reduce the back pain.

By the way, all you grill naysayers should know that I am bringing it. If you prefer ramen and eat PB&J sandwiches then you will never understand my reasoning. Sometimes I just can't see eye to eye with the ultralight crowd.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I'm not going to lessen the load, but rather force my body to adapt to the load. Who knows, maybe I'll figure out a way to rearrange the stuff in the pack to reduce the back pain.

Sometimes I just can't see eye to eye with the ultralight crowd.
    That sounds like about as much fun as having crabs. Or a bad ex-wife. So what's the logic behind insisting on an ultralight pack with heavyweight gear? I'm just not getting this. Or is it just a way to poke fun at people who say you should use the right tool for the job?
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Sometimes I just can't see eye to eye with the ultralight crowd.
    Yet you tried to buy one of the lightest frameless packs on the market. Brilliant.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++