WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Corn tortillas tend to break or crumble when rolled without cooking first.
    I had this problem when I tried wheat tortillas on the last hike. I've gone back to flour.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Images

Didn't know that about the wheat ones. Darn. At least you'd have bigger pieces.

I ran across this article a few days ago. Apparently some Tortillas will last for a few months, according to the article. Here is the link: http://www.packitgourmet.com/The+Lif...illa-sp95.html

at 14 i was loading corn tortillas into taco shaped holders and placeing them in a fryer at phonominal speed in a 135 degree kitchen with candy stoves and other fryers all around me within inches of my person. for 5 years i worked in the hell hole known as the taco house. owned by hap and janett, it was a 53 year old philly tradition at pine and camac streets.each year at the resturant festival on the ben franklin parkway we made thousands of tacos for the hords. i can sling 7 tacos in one hand stretched between thumb and pinky. i make chalupas and chilli con caso and all manner of corn tortilla requireing food. but takeing one on the trail is outside of my abilitys. without cooking, they skanky.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Great White View Post
    I ran across this article a few days ago. Apparently some Tortillas will last for a few months, according to the article. Here is the link: http://www.packitgourmet.com/The+Lif...illa-sp95.html
    Yup. As I posted above (#11), flour tortillas last a long time. I concede that the top of my refrigerator may not be as warm as a summer day hike but it's also not as cool as a summer night. Anyhoo, Great White's post got me curious so I went back through my steno pad of shopping lists to determine when I bought my current flour tortillas...those with the 6Nov10 freshness date...and found I brought home the "Reser's Burrito Size Flour Tortillas" on 15Sep10.

That puts 'em at six months+ old...they show no mold/discoloration, they are still soft (although a microwave refresh would help) and there's no off taste. Buried in a backpack, the just-bought taste of new (major brand) tortillas should last for weeks and weeks and weeks...

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Images

I smear peanut butter over one side, roll it up and have a quick lunch.... It's so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by sarbar View Post
    A corn tortilla that is fried in a tiny bit of oil in a pot becomes quite good. Having said that...the reason a PLAIN corn tortilla doesn't taste so good is simple:
    They are nearly sodium free and usually fat free.

Where as flour tortillas are full of those two items ;-)
    Homer Simpson says "Sodium and fat........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm."

A true endorsement of the flour tortilla (for hikers, at least). I'd say (without actual experience, though) that anything with more salt in it is likely to last longer, but that's just a reasonable theory.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

flour for me. peanut butter, chicken, chili max and beef, cheese, can't beat them for fast backpacker food

Quote Originally Posted by jbwood5 View Post
    I smear peanut butter over one side, roll it up and have a quick lunch.... It's so easy.
    Tort+PB+Honey+Granola wins every time.

Images

Whole wheat tortilla and Nutella. Yesssssss.....
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

Default whole wheat for me

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    I'm partial to LaBanderita whole wheat tortillas. The last long enough for me to eat all of them.

Does that help?
    It's the only way to go. I put my package or tortillas in my backpack hydration sleeve next to my (relatively) cool water. They keep a long time. Sometimes when it is extremely hot, I put wax paper in between them to keep them from sticking together.

By the way, flour is absolutely horrible for you. I avoid it whenever possible.
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

corn tortillas are yucky. never liked them for anything except crunchy tacos. Mission flour tortillas are awesome. peanut butter and nutella or honey. breakfast lunch or dinner. yum
    Those that danced were thought mad by those who could not hear the music. George Carlin

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I'm going to ship a small drop and am going to toss in some tortillas.

I know there are flour and corn - which one of these will keep for a few weeks before going bad?
    In grocery stores around here tortilla packages are marked with a "sell by" date.

I make my own corn tortillas, from Masa Harina, and bring them with me for my hikes, which tend to be 2-4 days (and less frequent than I wish since I got married!).

I can't think of a good way to make fresh corn tortillas on the trail. I'd love it if there were a good way to do that, they are so good when they are fresh.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Camping Dave View Post
    In grocery stores around here tortilla packages are marked with a "sell by" date.
    I had never paid attention to the expiration date on flour tortillas - sure enough..

I got some that expire in May sometime - I'll be done by then and if I'm still in the woods then I'll probably be grateful for some moldy old tortillas considering I'd be lost as pooh.

I come on here to read every day and 10k you always have the BEST and most logical advice. But corn? Really! I'm with Father Matt on this one.
    "You just have to tell them that you have a hunger and a thirst. And you may not sit at the same banquet table as them, but you have a hunger and a thirst. So they shouldn't judge you."

I'm gluten intolerant. Corn is my only choice.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jelly-Bean View Post
    I come on here to read every day and 10k you always have the BEST and most logical advice. But corn? Really! I'm with Father Matt on this one.
    I got flour - looks like corn is kind of sketchy.. ;-)

I love corn tortillas and flour tortillas. I think for what you're pairing with the tortillas (peanut butter 'n such) flour is the way to go for sure. That being said- If you still need your corn fix, come see me, I got some in a jar

Images

My kind of human. Wanna trade some good homebrew beer or mead???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++