WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Well put

Images

at least he had a compass and knew to walk north until he reached the AT.

Panzer

Maybe he should consider taking that course Warren Doyle puts on?

off trail, no map... *** i cant think of a worse idea. except maybe like... going scuba diving blindfolded. yea... that seems comparable!

Hate to think what would have happened if he was not an "experienced hiker"
    Having read the story and seen the video I suspect the S&R was overkill
    He had reached Tri-Corner (no longer lost) He had access to water (Dehydration problem solved) Was given a $400 sleeping bag to get warm (Hypothermia problem solved) Other hikers with phones were there (Contact mommy and daddy to alleviate their fears) and I'm sure the hikers there would also have shared their food (no more hunger) Suck it up, take a day to gain your strength out and hike out. If it had been me there is absolutely no way I would ever agree to any type of S&R. The embarassment alone would kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by hikemikehike View Post
    off trail, no map... *** i cant think of a worse idea. except maybe like... going scuba diving blindfolded. yea... that seems comparable!
    Hehe, I have done the scuba diving blindfolded thing (PSD training) and that can be done, now cave diving without the proper training and the proper equipment, that is just plain suicide !!!

Sounds like Mr. Hunter survived due to the hard work and effort of the SAR teams and the personal sacrifices of some damn fine hikers. Kudos to those guys, I am just glad no one else got hurt by one person's bad decisions.

i almost made a cave diving reference but i didnt know if the majority here would understand just how dangerous cave diving actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by hikemikehike View Post
    i almost made a cave diving reference but i didnt know if the majority here would understand just how dangerous cave diving actually is.
    I think cave diving is really one of those misunderstood sports that has been tagged with the moniker of being "the worlds most dangerous sport". I have been actively cave diving for 10+ years and it can be dangerous if you don't follow the five cardinal rules. If done properly, there is enough redundancy and backups to safely make dives in those water filled caves. It is when the rules are not adhered to that things go sideways pretty damn quick.....

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming !!!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
    If it had been me there is absolutely no way I would ever agree to any type of S&R. The embarassment alone would kill me.
    +1 yea, that's the way I feel too.
    I would not agree to a S&R unless I was already half dead and couldn't walk.

Panzer

on the AT, even unexperienced, how can you get lost for 4 days?????

You go left or right off the trail and keep walking either youre going to hit a road or the thing that makes you walk in circles gets you back to the trail, cant think of the name of it....you know, when you go the direction of your prominent leg???

anyway, Hap should get a new trail new....Bloody Sack wont work....ummmmm

Take it easy, folks. There but for the grace of God, go any of us. There's no way to tell in advance how any of us would react after going through what he did.

Frightened, hypothermic people don't think very straight. They just want the trouble to be over. We'll never know if he could or could not have walked all the way out after resting a day or two with his three new best friends.

His decision to go off-trail where he did and his subsequent actions may, in hindsight, have been ill-advised, stupid, or not relevant to his prior experience. Bottom line - he got in over his head. However, he did manage to get himself to the shelter, which took some thought and skill. Hopefully, he'll learn and profit from the experience.

Again, kudos to the three hikers for their help and sacrifices.

Images

Religion and politics ... both which should be clearly kept off the forums ... grace of who? ... seriously, if you expect "god" to save you in a survival situation ... you're screwed.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

Oh yes, the guy who needed rescuing should be tarred and feathered at the very least.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
    Oh yes, the guy who needed rescuing should be tarred and feathered at the very least.
    If he happens to come across this very thread and reads it ... he already has been.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by darkage View Post
    If he happens to come across this very thread and reads it ... he already has been.
    Good point....

Journal Entries
    Images

Ok i give up did anyone figure out if this is a white blaze member?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Ok i give up did anyone figure out if this is a white blaze member?
    Can't be........he was actually hiking!

geek

Getting lost is the one thing I do not want to have to deal with. Can anyone tell me if the handheld GPS's loaded with the AT map work? Any experience using them?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    Can't be........he was actually hiking!

geek
    Exactly!

So far there has been only one post in this thread where the writer was not trying to sound like "one tough trail m0!@erf#<{er". When the reality of the situation is that the man in the article was injured hiking on the Appalachian Trail. Something no one on this thread was doing while when they typed their comments.

Park rangers and search and rescue people chose to do the job they do. They get paid the same wether they sit at the station drinking coffee, at home if they are volunteer, or out in the woods helping someone out. So I am glad to read that he was helped by them and some fellow hikers.

Hope he regains his health and gets back out there soon!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++