Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default the AT and effects on marriage

Hello,

I've been married to a wonderful man going on 3 years now. I'm planning a 2012 thru-hike and he will not be joining me. we have no children.

We've been discussing the separation, and the simple fact that whoever "leaves" has something fun and interesting to do that compensates for missing their spouse, and the person "left behind" has to get through the day-to-day, missing the person who's gone, and nothing to compensate them emotionally for it.

I think i've talked him into joining me for 1 week periods, twice. - i'm thinking virginia, to break up the "virginia blues" for me and.....?

how did the AT affect your marriages? break ups? enriched relationship upon return? what did your male spouses do at home to get through it until you got back? how did you reintegrate into your family structure?

thanks!

-Lindsey
    Denver, CO

Hi Lindsey! Congrats on planning your thru - I'll be out there in 2012 too! I can relate to your question completely, but from your husband's side. I am dating a fully addicted hiker and have been through a couple of long hikes with him. It's tough being the one who is home while your loved one is off having a great time, but to be honest, it has only made our relationship stronger because of the way we handled those months apart.

When I am the one at home, I just need to feel like I am not forgotten while he is out hiking. It's hard because he is without a phone so often, but even if he can call once every couple of days, I feel connected to him. We also set up a site that only we could view - we posted pictures, notes, videos for each other. Check out http://share.ovi.com/ and see if you would be able to load pics to it from the trail.

It's also really key to involve him in your planning - I know I LOVED helping plan mail drops and being able to sneak little notes or homemade snacks in right before I sent them. Also help him get familiar with the map and let him know where you are - it's fun to track your progress and be excited for you when you hit the major milestones on the trail.

The visits along the trail are a great idea too - by far the most helpful and restorative part of it for me. Being able to experience the hike together, even for a week or so, is key. He will be able to see what you are doing and meet your friends - it's nice to be able to share that. I know for me, seeing him in his element, doing what he loved, made the distance worth it. It also inspired me to plan my own thru. Be sure you plan for a few zeros though - nothing better than taking a day or two off to wander a trail town, laze around a hotel room and hang out with your man

Good luck and have fun!

Jill

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Effects marriage.

During my thru I was suprised at the amount of married woman hiking alone without their husbands.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

I think it's also important for your husband to realize that during that time you are gone, he can nurture hobbies and occupy himself. Yes, he will miss you, but it doesn't mean he will absolutely be miserable! Plus, if he can keep himself happy, it will make it easier on you knowing that your hike isn't consuming him.

I was in a relationship where if I were to go away without him, it was like his world ended. :P Notice I said WAS...
    Man is only half himself,
    The other half is a bright thing.
    He tumbles on by luck or grace,
    For man is ever a blind thing.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default I had a similar (but not identical) experience

During the 1994-1995 academic year, my wife accepted an overseas job as a Fulbright Scholar. Since internet access did not exist where she worked, and long-distance cost $1 a minute, our "contact" was pretty much limited to mail -- which often took over a week to travel.

I can only describe it as "That which does not kill you, only makes you stronger."
    Did we miss each other? HORRIBLY.
    Did it affect me personally? I actually started having paranoid hallucinations.
    Did it affect our marriage? Since we now know EXACTLY what it would be like to not be married to each other, we are now QUITE grateful for each other.

Make certain both of you are aware of what you're getting into. Make sure both of you agree to this. Don't EVER use this separation as a weapon or leverage against the other.

I hope your marriage is such that separation brings many unpleasant moments. But I also hope that your marriage is strong enough that it brings many pleasant years in the future.

What a great subject. I too am going it alone. My husband "gets it" and I'm blessed. He is not well enough to hike, (back problems) and his work takes him out of town several days per month. Our kids are all grown.We are used to some separation but nothing on this scale. He worries already but has confidence in my abilities. Mine is a spiritual as well as physical journey so it needs to be done alone. I do wonder how our lack of connection will help or hurt.
    Those that danced were thought mad by those who could not hear the music. George Carlin

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I *wish* my wife wanted to thru hike, I think it'd be great and I'd love to be the support person and meet up with her on the trail when it was strategically feasible.

Money is no problem, the kids are mostly grown and she's retired at 53 - she's just not into it.

I'm fortunate indeed that she indulges me with my hiking escapades.

Garlic
    Images

My wife hiked the AT without me in '02. She tried to get me to go with her (for years prior) with no success, so she finally did it alone. I was all for it and as supportive as possible, providing mail drop and moral support and joining her at least once a month including the last month through NH and ME. I was very proud of her accomplishment. She eventually got me hooked and we started hiking together. I finally hiked the AT without her six years later.

Hiking the long trails also simplified our lifestyles and changed our priorities enough that we even retired early. So I would say her first solo hike of the AT was a very good thing for us, overall.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

My hubby missed me a ton, but he came out to visit when he could and to hike with me in different places (last year he did Maine with me, in '07 he did GA and he did NY to CT). He also did my mail drops. When I got back, he did his acting at the neighborhood playhouse, so we each get to do what we want. He also gets together with friends. As for kids we only have one. I did the trail in '07 with my then 16 yr old son. He is now gone.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

The effect it had on me was I never got married. Too late now...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

My wife was very supportive and continues to be. Id love her to go i think, but she doesnt like the long distance hikes. we have children, lots of them. complicates things. I think my hike only strengthened her resolve to find "what she needs to do"

She is headed to Darfur this year on a Mission. so i guess it was a good thing. I am hiking the AT again in 2013 with no schedule to keep this time so i plan on taking 6 months or longer and take it real easy.

She supports it still. and she knows the PCT will follow.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Images

My husband and I had been married for over 30 years when I thru-hiked alone. As he told people (and there were many) who expressed shock and dismay that I had "run off" to do this, "The third thing she ever told me about herself was that she was going to hike the Appalachian Trail. I can't say she didn't warn me."

(He claims that when we met I told him I liked to read, and I liked cats, and I wanted to hike the AT.)

A few points:

It's hard on both people. It's hard, and more boring, to be the left-behind spouse. I know this from taking that role while David has done a bunch of interesting business travel. For the hiker, on bad days, one is vividly aware that the separation is completely optional and could be ended within a few hours.

That said, I think it's better not to try to be together too much during the hike. I hiked for a couple of weeks with a guy who spent >2 hours on the phone with his wife every night. He finally decided to pack it in and just go home. If you want to be home that badly, just go. I had a better time when my mind was present on the Trail, and a worse time when I'd obsess about what I was missing.

A long separation is a great time to reassess who you are an individual. Too many married people have co-dependent relationships filled with resentment about what he/she won't let me do, and/or makes me do. Step outside that box.

David has remarked that, while it was a pain to have to do everything around the house on his own, the fact that he was able to do it, and do it well, felt really good. We've been together since we were teenagers and I don't think he even knew how to operate the washing machine, for instance. He positively enjoyed being in charge of his own meals and eating exactly what he wanted to when he wanted to for six whole months. He was also extremely happy when I returned and took back over the morning chores, which allows him to sleep in for a few more minutes every day.

David did join me on the first and last days of my hike, and at a few points in between. He enjoyed meeting some of my hiking cronies. I will say that I think it's a bad idea to over-schedule your hike in order to have your spouse join you. You're better off leaving things kind of loose. Since we live in NC, when I got down into VA (I was hiking SOBO), David would join me on weekends sometimes. He came up to The Gathering in Pipestem, for instance, which was really great for both of us.

Then there's the quid pro quo aspect of marriage. If your husband helps you make this happen, you definitely owe it to him to help him make his follow his dream. For my husband, it's cycling. A good bike costs about as much as a thru-hike and he'd much rather have a bike than thru-hike. He hikes with me sometimes when he could be biking, and I bike with him sometimes when I could be hiking. We're planning two vacations together this year (which is unusual--we often vacation separately)--we're going to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway and hike the Wonderland Trail.

To me, in a healthy relationship, both parties get a lot of what they want, and both sacrifice a bit to help the other person.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

What an awesome topic. I'm planning not a total thru hike for spring of 2012, but from southern VA all the way up, so damn near close.

I have a serious boyfriend and we've talked about it a lot, and he's incredibly supportive and wants to hold down the fort and ship me stuff, so it's a good situation, but I still am worrying just a bit. Just jitters, I don't want this to be a deal breaker, and I don't think it will, but it's just jitters that I need to get the heck over because if I were single I wouldn't think a second thought about it.

It's an easy thing to worry a little bit about when you really love some one.

Journal Entries

Hi! When do you leave? I too am a solo hiker as my husband also has severe back problems and so i am leaving to go on a 3 week jaunt on the AT but we have 2 young boys so this will be my first long trip out of state leaving him behind! Great to know i am not alone as hiking is very spiritual for me as well so i prefer to go it alone too!

Quote Originally Posted by goldenhands View Post

We've been discussing the separation, and the simple fact that whoever "leaves" has something fun and interesting to do that compensates for missing their spouse, and the person "left behind" has to get through the day-to-day....
    Is a thru hike really fun?

Days without a shower. Up and down hills all day. Flys. Bees. Maybe even a bear or two. No comforts of home. Food designed for sustenance and not taste.

Fun?

I wonder if saying that a person leaving to do a thru hike is going off to have fun is really misdirecting.

I wonder if what they're saying is, "you're going to fulfill a dream. I'm not."

Perhaps the issue is you're crossing something off your bucket list and they aren't.
    -------

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." Thoreau

you have bad days but for the most part, thru hiking is a blast...the most personal freedom you will ever experience.

geek

Slowest Hiker On Earth

I am not a thru hiker but my addiction to hiking helped lead to the demise of my marriage.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    During my thru I was suprised at the amount of married woman hiking alone without their husbands.
    Were you amazed at all the married men hiking alone without their wives?

the guy im married to never leaves me for a minute. im his bride and hes my master teacher messiah lord. im gay for j.

never had a girlfriend that didnt die go crazy or just go.
    matthewski

groll +1. marrage is not a two rings of bondage like handcuffs rather a golden band of nuending love.
    matthewski

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++