WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Trail of Tears, and Cherokee Removal

I think most are familiar with the forced removal of the Cherokee from northwestern Georgia under the shameful direction of President Andrew Jackson. While the AT itself doesn't follow the Trail of Tears, I am wondering if any of the blue blazes connecting to it might. Or if there are any historical sights celebrating the Cherokee nation along the AT. To my way of thinking, it would be worthwhile pondering the Cherokee experience when walking through those beautiful mountains. Not sure if there are plaques, markers or other reminders along the way, however.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I think most are familiar with the forced removal of the Cherokee from northwestern Georgia under the shameful direction of President Andrew Jackson. While the AT itself doesn't follow the Trail of Tears, I am wondering if any of the blue blazes connecting to it might. Or if there are any historical sights celebrating the Cherokee nation along the AT. To my way of thinking, it would be worthwhile pondering the Cherokee experience when walking through those beautiful mountains. Not sure if there are plaques, markers or other reminders along the way, however.
    Shameful is correct sir, being of Cherokee blood........but that's all I have to say about that!
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

The trail of tears is the name given to the removal of the Cherokee. There never was a common trail used during the removal. The Cherokee were instructed to report to multiple regional "transfer stations" and each group traveled separately and took different routes.

General Winfield Scott was in charge of the removal. Most are familiar with the Lake Winfield Scott Forest Service Campground near Blood Mtn.

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

rickb, My wife is part Cherokee and I wondered the same thing when we were in the area as I bet many others have. I hope to follow the Trail of Tears some day while trying to imagine what it may have been like.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

The Dahlonega Gold Museum has a section dedicated to the Trail of Tears if you are interested in the history. Ranger Julia Autry is an expert on the topic. She spent many years as a Ranger at the Vann House.

the library at matthewskidria contains the knowlage of the ages. unlike its sister library ,formerly in alexandria, the library at matthewskidria has a fire protection system.
    matthewski

max my son is one eight cherokee. his mother is one quarter and her grandmother was a full blooded cherokee medicine woman.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    the library at matthewskidria contains the knowlage of the ages. unlike its sister library ,formerly in alexandria, the library at matthewskidria has a fire protection system.
    Urinating on books is not a "fire protection system"
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiKen2011 View Post
    Shameful is correct sir, being of Cherokee blood........but that's all I have to say about that!
    I don't have any Native American blood but I agree..It was very shameful and cruel the way the American Indians were treated by the early White Man

Images

There is no trail of tears (actual trail) - this is a term for the sad Cherokee removal - if you walk the AT, consider those that came long before you and how they lived in these mountains - be respectful to the mountains and the land as best as you can be and honor the American Indain. In this way and others you can "walk" the trail of tears.

Images

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gaunion/mm110206.htm

You should read the history of Blood Mountain and how it got its name their battles were hard fought.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    While the AT itself doesn't follow the Trail of Tears, .
    A very small part of the BMT at Unicoi Gap follows a portion of the Trail of Tears. (The same portion that was also a major trading route in the day).

http://www.tennesseeoverhill.com/uni....asp?unicoigap
    Last edited by Mags; 03-23-2011 at 23:15.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRidgeRunner View Post
    I don't have any Native American blood but I agree..It was very shameful and cruel the way the American Indians were treated by the early White Man
    Yeah, many races throughout the years were treated badly by each other. Irish used to not even be considered white, and were treated even worse than blacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    Yeah, many races throughout the years were treated badly by each other. Irish used to not even be considered white, and were treated even worse than blacks.
    Well as an Irish American (last name is Doyle, family is from Mallow Ireland), I can say we certainly faced alot of cruality from the Brits and later experienced much discrimination in America, but.............we were never treated anywhere near as bad as blacks were in America. Might want to read more Irish-American history before you start comparing Irish-American history to the Alantic Slave trade. Read the book "How The Irish Became White" for a good start.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Baron
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    The Irish were chattel slaves?
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Many Walks View Post
    Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    max my son is one eight cherokee. his mother is one quarter and her grandmother was a full blooded cherokee medicine woman.
    I'm a quarter Cherokee myself...but I think you already knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by endubyu View Post
    Thanks for that link too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucherm View Post
    The Irish were chattel slaves?
    Yes, they were. Since you're on this fascinating medium know as the Internet (purportedly invented by Al Gore) you might want to try utilizing its amazing powers of discovery, A.K.A. "search engines". Here are a couple of links to get you started:
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Were_there_Irish_slaves
    http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/...-white-slaves/

I'm also a quarter Irish...
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

every white guy i know it seems claims to be some part cherokee

Journal Entries
    Images

Growing up outside of Rochester, NY we were taught a great deal about the Iroquois League and local Native American history. We also learned something about the the Indians in New England and the Great Plains.

I knew nothing of the Cherokee and the Trail of Tears until I visited Dahlonaga at the end of my hike.

In part because this chapter of American history came a surprise to me, I found it particularly disturbing. And even more disturbing to think of how the Cherokee were not only integrating themselves into the the larger society around them, but building colonial style homes and farms, and creating wealth. Becoming integrated into the society like so many other groups that make up this great country. I didn't know a great deal about that (still don't) but it certainly didn't mesh with what I thought I know about Native Americans of that day.

Then to learn how suddenly the tide turned against them because of gold and greed and no small dose of evil perpetrated by Andrew Jackson (often said to be on of our 10 greatest) and others around him...

Worth thinking about as one walks through land where the Cherokee once lived as a prospering people.
    Last edited by rickb; 03-24-2011 at 07:01.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++