WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I think the more time you spend in the woods, you get to see, feel, and understand how the woods works, understanding what's going on around us leads to comfort and a sense of feeling of safe. Anxiety is most likely the culprit here. So spend more time in the woods, try camping in a place you trust could even be a state park campground, hike by yourself in local areas you know, you can build on safe fun successful experiences. Oh yeah a good sleeping pad helps to.

Vodka
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikingshoes View Post
    Is it just me?When we did our section hike,i had trouble falling asleep.Its not the hikers that keep me up,its things going thru my head like Bears coming into the shelter at night or making sure the GF is ok(she new to backpacking) etc...I didnt have this when i was in the military,but just when im backpacking on my time.I was thinking about taking some type of PM meds.to help with this until i can sleep on my own.Hope this doesnt sound to crazy,because i love to backpack/hike so I want to enjoy it.
    Im sure there is a Thread on this some where.I did a search on it and didnt see anything.HS
    When I hike (for the first week or two) I ALWAYS have trouble falling asleep. It isn't the thought of bears or snakes or dehydrated food for me- I think it is the sudden change in my daily routine and so much exercise. Or the lack of squishy, comfortable bed...

I go to health food stores and get sleep supplements- there's one called "Sleep 'N Restore" with melatonin and Valerian- it actually works. For my thru, I went to my doctor and she prescribed me enough sleeping pills for a couple weeks. I only needed them for the first couple days, then maybe two more times in the next couple weeks. After that, I feel asleep just fine.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

two words: EAR PLUGS!

that, or:

-antihystamine tablets (or tylenol PM, etc.)
    -a shot or three of fine spirits to give you that "ooooh so warm" feeling in your tummy

I don't know if this will help or not, but when I came home from deployment I couldn't sleep at all. I think it was the tempo change. Either way I started taking OTC sleep pills and just never stopped. My tolerance got so high that I literally had to OD on them to get the affect of them. I'm not saying don't take them, but I found that my mind got so used to having them available that it refused to sleep without them. Like a placebo for sleep. No matter how tired I was, I couldn't sleep without them, once I started taking them. I stopped taking them entirely, and now once a month or so I might take melatonin, but thats only when I have to.

What I did to get over the non sleeping issue (what I am still doing) is letting the chips ride. If I don't sleep well tonight, I know I'll clonk out tomorrow. The body will exhaust itself until you are on your normal sleeping schedule again without the help. If you are hiking every day, I doubt you'd have that problem for more than a week. Resolve that you might be sleepy for a week but you'll have more time to journal or put in miles. Your body will work it out on its own.

I also had trouble sleeping, Until i moved up from a self inflating pad to a big agnus insulated air core pad 2.5. What a differents it made.

Bad things can happen with Ambien or other similiar drugs. They are really a hypnotic rather than a sleeping pill and once you have taken them, if you do need to be alert its not going to happen. Plus some folks end of sleepwalking. I do carry and use earplugs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by skooch View Post
    how many of you wear earplugs?

I stay out of shelters, feel like thats where you need em. So no plugs here.
    "I may not find pleasant things, I shall find new things"
    -Candide

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Bad things can happen with Ambien or other similiar drugs. They are really a hypnotic rather than a sleeping pill and once you have taken them, if you do need to be alert its not going to happen. Plus some folks end of sleepwalking. I do carry and use earplugs.
    I'm a lifelong insomniac and have tried just about everything. I took ambien/generic substitute for a while and had to quit taking it because of "behavior" when I was supposed to be asleep. I had no memory of what I was doing.
    I we are talking about two different things in this thread. I always have trouble sleeping, not just when hiking. I suppose the OP meant just hiking.
    I can't sleep with earplugs.

Images

Default Earplugs

Hello all:

I would have to agree with Blissful about ear plugs. After I started using them I don't wake up much during the night. I have a cheap mp3 player that I take and I listen to music and then I put the ear plugs in and out I go. While I have not tried the OTC drugs, many seem to feel that it works for them.

Capt Chaos
    Capt. Chaos

Col. John "CaptChaos" Knight
    Bowling Green, KY USA

-

takes me about 2 weeks of hiking before I can sleep my regular hours, after about a month I can even do it on a thin foam pad, just getting used to it

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Ambien has always worked fine for me. I think it affects different people in different ways. So, you'd want to try it before heading to the trail. Or, of course, you could take advice from your doctor instead of me. But, whatever.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

I sleep on the floor when I am home, really helps with when you are sleeping on the ground in a tent, no real change in surface hardness, or not much.

www.tnhikingforums.com double j's Avatar
    Images

best thing to do is hike alone and sleep alone for awhile . And you will get use to falling alseep.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by canoehead View Post
    I think the more time you spend in the woods, you get to see, feel, and understand how the woods works, understanding what's going on around us leads to comfort and a sense of feeling of safe. Anxiety is most likely the culprit here. So spend more time in the woods, try camping in a place you trust could even be a state park campground, hike by yourself in local areas you know, you can build on safe fun successful experiences. Oh yeah a good sleeping pad helps to.
    Id say your right there canoehead.We are camping more and im thinking of camping by the river(State Park) for about aweek,just to check out my gear and see what i need and dont need for my thru-hike.Plus just to get use to sleeping out in the woods again.Im good on the sleeping pad too.Thanks HS

I focus all of my attention on the little area at the base of my nostrils. Feel the cool air as you inhale and the warmed air as you exhale. The longer you focus you will find that you relax. If your mind wanders gently refocus. It often works for me.
    If it doesn't work you can try counting sheep or bears.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bonjour View Post
    I focus all of my attention on the little area at the base of my nostrils. Feel the cool air as you inhale and the warmed air as you exhale. The longer you focus you will find that you relax. If your mind wanders gently refocus. It often works for me.
    If it doesn't work you can try counting sheep or bears.
    Good to do anytime - checkout lines, waiting in traffic, just sitting around.

Definitely will help you keep our feet where your head is - and keep you in the moment too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerhobs View Post
    I also had trouble sleeping, Until i moved up from a self inflating pad to a big agnus insulated air core pad 2.5. What a differents it made.
    Love my Big Agnes Clearview. It doesn't really feel like sleeping on a mattress, but it also doesn't feel like sleeping on the ground.

Also I stuff all the soft stuff into the center of my pack and then use that as a giant pillow so my head is held up and nothing can sneak up on me. Not like it would be hard to sneak up on somebody staring at their feet at the bottom end of their tent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++