WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

tons of left behind stuff near mcfee knob on the regular seen tons of open and rather torn up tents near the electric meadow..

that would be biker hippies.
    matthewski

Found a similar scene on the Georgia section a few years back without the stone circle (likely an dead scout fire ring as noted above). Found a cheap (ie box store without naming names)(OK, Wal-Mart) tent and several pieces of cheap gear lying around in a site about 3 miles from a road crossing. Likely someone with visions of long miles who decided to bail and just left their stuff. The woods on the approach to Springer are full of abandoned gear from people trying to lighten their loads.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ashevillian View Post
    Blair Witch??
    She move to Pittsburg can't be her might be her sister plain b$&@h
    Lmao
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Never been "crap my pants" scared by animals much. But, people make me very, very nervous. An animal (other than human) has to be prevoked or motivated to cause hard, people do it just for the thrills. You can predict a bear or a skunk, but people will surprise you (good or bad) every time.
    You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim, the mountian's got its own ways.
    -"BearClaw" Chris Lapp-

This is a fine stretch of trail and isn't the least bit creepy. I've hike various parts of this section at least once a year or more either alone, with scouts, or just taking friends up to the Knife Edge, Bake Oven Knob, or Bear Rocks. Its PA Section 3 and goes from 309 to Lehigh Gap at just roughly over 13 miles. I've camped many times at New Tripoli over almost 15 years now. Actually, if you go to the other side of the cable cut heading towards PA 309, there is a very well established "overflow" camping area right next to the trail with a fire ring and nice views. I prefer that spot, especially on a nice clear night. There is no shelter at New Tripoli.

At the opposite end of this section near Lehigh Gap is a tent site and the George W. Outerbridge shelter. I have never witnessed anything unusual or frightening in this entire section. When I've hiked down from the trail towards the actual new Tripoli campsite and water source I've found multiple folding camp chairs and a giant 50 gallon cooler left behind once, obviously just some locals who had a good time. Another time on a autumn night while hiking out from 309 I came across a huge tent and GIGANTIC bonfire about a good 150 yards off the trail in a spot I know there is nor ever has been a campsite, I could see and hear them, but they never seen or heard me.

Also on this section is the Bake Oven Knob Shelter, its far to easily accessible from the Bake Oven Knob parking area for my taste and I've seen people with no camping gear "chillin" with blankets, pillows, and beer. Not that I think any less of or think locals shouldn't have access to the AT. I like how there are different areas for people with different abilities. You can do your own thing on the AT, just check out the view and then hike a little further if people aren't your thing :-) You won't see many who aren't hikers out by the Knife Edge, but you will see a very diverse crowd who some may have never hiked at all enjoying the view in their own ways from Bake Oven Knob. I've ran into some older locals, some sober some not lol they're friendly if you talk nicely to them. The hike out to Bear Rocks tends to weed out some of the weak, you get a spectacular 360 degree view of the entire region at the top of the rocks and its GREAT to go and see meteor showers from at night. Obviously it too is liked by locals, as someone has built a very elaborate stone fire circle and stone seats circling it just below Bear Rocks.

I have often felt like this stretch is under appreciated and could use a good deal of attention from ATC. I have never ran into a Ridge Runner in these parts. But its obvious the local maintaining clubs work on and look after the trail, campsites, and shelters.

One last note, if all the other springs in this stretch are weak or dry, there is another spring down from the trail on Ashfield Road. Correct me if I am wrong ... but in all my time out there I have never seen it run dry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++