WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Hi ShelterLeopard.

I hiked the LT in (mostly) September of '06, finishing in the north on the 21st. I never saw full autumn colours on that trip and I suspect the peak that year (in the north) was probably a week or two after I finished. I don't know how typical that year was though as I am not a Vermonter and it was a wetter than average September. I think I saw the first hints of colour sometime around the 12th(?) of September, with significant patches of pretty pre-peak leaves in the last week of my hike. Many hikers have September and October LT pictures up on trailjournals from several years if you want a really good idea; but be wary of upload date vs. actual date.
    Temperatures in September were nice and cool, with only a couple of below freezing nights and only a couple of hot days. There was no significant snow; only a couple of days with flurries.
    Socially, there were quite a few hikers of all types on most days, though I did spend a few nights alone (mostly in the north).

Images

I hiked Stratton October 9 last fall, Stratton/Arlington AT/LT trailhead to fire tower and back. Foliage was peaking or just past at the lower elevations, leaves mostly gone due to pretty stiff, gusty winds by 3100, and above that was the spruce/fir crown. The winds at 5 pm at the tower were strong, steady at about 40 mph and temp was 38 F (I checked meteorological records later). No snow, but six days later came a foot of snow at the summit and it's been continuous snow cover up at high elevation since.

I believe if you start up north near Sept. 15, you'll mostly avoid snow but run the risk of it on Mansfield and the other 3800+ peaks up north and centrally, with the risk diminishing as you head south, certainly the difficulty once you get past Camel's Hump, and with foliage peak trailing behind you but not by too much.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

It really depends. You could get snow in September or you could get 70 degree days until late October.

In 03 we did a NOBO E2E starting in late september and finished october 14th. We saw some sporadic snow, but nothing really stuck around and day time weather was about perfect hiking weather. No bugs, cool to down right cold nights and excellent views.

SOBO would work out even better.

The highest peaks almost always pick up at least a little hint of snow sometime in September, but it doesn't get serious until later in October most years. Ice can be a bigger problem once you're past around the 10th of October in a normal year -- peaks like Mansfield and Camels Hump will start to have some water ice around then.

I'd second the suggestion to go southbound for a fall hike, as the weather and terrain won't be quite as bad as you get further south, and you can sort of follow the foliage. You don't say how long you're planning to take, but if you're going to do an average-to-leisurely type of hike, say 23 - 28 days or so, then you'd probably have a really good time with something like a September 10 - September 15 start. That would put you around peak foliage a lot of the way, and you probably won't catch too much snow.

Just make sure you're prepared for cold, as nights in the mountains that time of year will often be frosty, and you'll probably also get some cold rainy spells.

would a hiker get drowned hiking in August? worth putting it off a month? and hiking in september

Images

While September is a wonderful time to hike the LT, August is good alternative. If that is the time that fits your schedule....go for it.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Andy, August is a good time to be on the trail, and the weather would be generally warmer across the high peaks which are exposed, where as Sept up high and some cold rain could prove miserable at times. However I would still expect mud and long flooded puddle sections any time of the year, I do remember bugs being a non issue towards the end of my hike, but it was a long time ago now!

On my hike I reached the Canadian border on August 5th, and it was a very cold morning, I was quite surprised...until then, we had nothing that I would consider even chilly.

There is an amazing photo journal from Jamie Compos at www.downthetrail.com where he hiked the LT starting in late September I believe, great writer and journalist and nice guy.

Images

Is the "trail culture" on the LT like the it is on the AT? I mean, when I switched up to Katahdin I immediately hooked up with other hikers who I'm sure I would've continued hiking with had I stayed a little longer. (You know that bond you get with the people with whom who begin the trail) Is it like that on the Long Trail?

I'm trying to decide between the Long Trail in September, and doing a SoBo AT hike beginning in September. (Probably only do half the trail, get off before the serious snow).
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Trail culture wains once the AT turns left. September and October will diminish it even more.

Default This might be helpful:

http://www.trailjournals.com/journal...%20-%20Vermont
    More info. than you need on the LT.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I did a sobo on the LT long ago.
    Started after the gathering in Hanover- Early Oct and finished Nov 2nd. Great hiking weather and not that many hikers.
    I missed most of the fall color show though...

Most hikers connect on the LT- just like the AT.

If the LT is thier first trail of any distance, they find the same sense of acomplishment and connection to the trail as a long distance backpacker.

While there is connection between Long Trail hikers, keep in mind that the hiking season window is much larger, and the trail is a fraction of the length of the AT, it's not the same.

Also 'most' hikers who are attempting LT thru's are starting anywhere between 1 June and 1 October (approx) a window of nearly 20 weeks. Where as 'most' AT hikers seem to depart either terminus within a 6 week window by contrast

Most Long Trail hikers go northbound, and most of them leave in July and August.

Leaving the Canadian border in late Sept would probably be the least popular time to thru-hike the LT, in the less popular direction, thus minimizing ongoing encounters with other hikers.

Saying that, it would make sense for anyone leaving that time of year to go southbound to get over the more exposed peaks (Mansfield, Camels Hump, Mt. Abe) before the weather closes in. There is a decent amount of exposure on the Long Trail north of Appalachian Gap.

Then there was the time I did a nobo on the LT starting in early june. Even though the trail is'nt really long, its long enough to establish friendships, bond hikers and give them a sense of accomplishment- just like the AT.

True its shorter with a bigger window- that doesn't matter. The culture is the same and you will meet people to hike with -if you want.

Images

Thanks everyone! Very useful.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

After discussing it with my flight officer (spouse) I'm planning a SOBO E2E starting August 3, 2012.

Plan is to stay on the AT at least until the PA/MD border with the potential of going further on the AT.

It's a bit over a year away but so far I've been pretty consistent in pulling off my long range plans.

Question: Are the LT guides updated annually like the AT guides?

No, they don't print guidebooks every year, but the trail route doesn't change that much anyway.
    There is a yearly guide to the LT, I believe it's called the E2E guide, which is similar to the Thruhiker's Companion.
    I got one along with the latest LT guidebook last year. It shows mail drops, grocery stores, hosetls, etc. along the LT.

Uh...............duhh (for myself) -
    Here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69256
    Last edited by Tinker; 05-10-2011 at 10:37. Reason: added link
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

The End to Enders Guide is now updated every other year. Bob McCaw who used to publish the AT Thru Hikers Handbook did the most recent editions. The latest was just released in March of 2011 and I would not expect another until 2013.

It is well written and stays fairly accurate over a two year period.

You can order it from the Green Mountain Club here:

https://www.greenmountainclub.org/pr...l.php?sku=2225
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    The End to Enders Guide is now updated every other year. Bob McCaw who used to publish the AT Thru Hikers Handbook did the most recent editions. The latest was just released in March of 2011 and I would not expect another until 2013.

You can order it from the Green Mountain Club here:

https://www.greenmountainclub.org/pr...l.php?sku=2225
    See you next year for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    On trail issues yes it is mostly accurate. On off trail amenities the guide is usually vague and lacking in detail.....mainly because the GMC has no control over restaurants/grocery stores/lodging openings and closings.

I live here and can't keep up with the changes month to month. For example.....

• Grand Union and the PO in Johnson were under a couple feet of water last week. Not sure if they've reopened yet but mail was processed out of a neighboring town for a few days. The laundromat has moved around town a few times in the past couple years.
    • Long Trail Tavern has been boarded up for over a year now but wouldn't surprise me if it just opened up one day.
    • North Troy village market was closed a couple days ago. No explanation, not sure what's going on there.

Always have a back up plan for resupply on the LT.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++