WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Bounce Box???

Images

Default Bounce Box???

Hey All;
    Anyone have experience using a bounce box on the CT. My biggest concern is the PO losing my stuff.... I am looking to bounce:
    TVP
    Chargers
    Extra vest
    Fuel canisters
    some food stuff
    Any Suggestions????
    I welcome your comments.
    Q-Tip

I'm planning to do the CT in July, but probably won't use a bounce box because the entire trail is only 5 or 6 weeks of hiking. Instead of a bounce box, I am notionally planning to use a mail drop for re-supply at Twin Lakes. I'll probably just put my cell phone charger, batteries, nail clippers, additional socks, etc in that re-supply. Some of that stuff will be carried for the rest of the trail, and the rest will be sent home, discarded or "donated."

For me, after hiking the 170 miles to Twin Lakes, the replacement socks will probably be as important as anything. It'll probably take me about 10-12 days to get to Twin Lakes, so I'll be fine for re-charging and fingernails.

Default No Worries, QT

I didn't use "bounce boxes" on the CT but several "drop boxes" to POs. Never had a concern about the PO not delivering my stuff to the POs along the way. They all were there.

I would advise that you not worry about mailing fuel canisters. There are plenty of locations along the way that carry them. You may even find some available at the hostels where hikers send them in drop boxes and then never show. (Ask prior to heading off to the outfitter or sports ship.)

Finally, Read Mags' very informative CT guide. (link at the top of this forum.) It's a fabulous resource. If you're concerned about availability of fuel canisters along the way, contact those in Mags' list for an availability update.
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Images

Thanks All!!!!

Q-tip

++ New Posts ++