WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by skooch View Post
    I can't imagine anyone refusing a love offering.
    Are you saying that anyone offering you love will not be disappointed?

Quote Originally Posted by rambunny View Post
    It leads to entitlement issues later.
    Hit the nail on the head right there. As we passed the NOBO heard in the mid atlantic reason that would be one of the most common adjectives we used.

http://bamahiker.blog.com/ Freedom Walker's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChillyWilly View Post
    Clearly, the concern here is that hikers are like bears, and shelter mice. They have no will, no self control, just the overpowering need to consume calories. Once humans start feeding them, they loose their natural instincts to plan, aquire and carry their own food, and become pests - Yogiing for food from day-hikers, breaking into food bags, showing up at trail-side community chicken roasts uninvited...

Eventually, rangers will be forced to put the more dangerous ones down ...
    Problem bears and problem hikers? Is this an example of evolution? Thanks, you brought a smile and laughter to the start my day.
    Freedom Walker, I am free to Walk, I am free to Run, I m free to live for You Lord Jesus, I am FREE!

He who the Son sets free, is free indeed.
    Visit my blog Free To Hike

Thumbs up

Too funny
    Those that danced were thought mad by those who could not hear the music. George Carlin

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    I do give out beer on the trail. I don't advertise it. If you don't want a beer or a hot dog then don't take it.
    I see people on here stating how much this is a disgrace to them yet you want a ride to Gatlinburg? Gatlinburg is about as anti trail ethic as you can get! Either you enjoy the outdoor wilds or you like T-shirt shops, craft shops, poor quality restaraunts and spending money uselessly. Gatlinburg? Really?
    geek
    + on this. Gatlinburg was culture shock in the extreme. In a bad way.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Can you dig it?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post

Yes, Gatlinburg sucks, we all know. Its also one place where most hikers resupply due to its location, its also a very diffucult resupply because the food city is all the way through town.

So as someone who had trouble getting to Food City and back, i think it would be nice to get a ride.

Also, its not just about "saying no to someone trying to be nice", the increase of trail magic over the past 20 years has changed the face of the trail. Much for the good, but overall it changes what hiking the A.T. is like. Its an evolving experience of course, but we need to look at that process before we get too far down a road that we don't want to be on.

I generally avoid any activity that does not make my pack lighter at the end of the day. so hiker feeds are something I would walk by...ok maybe a cookie or some small sweet thing to nibble on while I walk or after dinner in the evening or a cold drink (beer, soda or even nice ice water).

That being said if folks want to hand out food it doesn't bother me either way..like I said i look forward to cooking and eating every night because it gives me a chance to rest from the walk and also I know my pack is that much lighter in the morning.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Thank you!
    I'm beginning to think that most posters on WB have no idea why most thru hikers are out there.
    Most thru hikers like the "wilderness" feeling, the sights, the beauty, the walking and the camping but they almost all like the companionship of others and the enjoyment of getting together.
    Lets face it...if they were out there for solitude and a true "wilderness experience" they wouldn't be on the AT...it is just a path in the woods between cities.
    Lighten up...no one is ruining your "wilderness experience" because THERE IS NO WILDERNESS!

geek

geek

Images

I never, ever turn down ice. Or an ice cold drink. THAT is what I truly crave on trail. Cold liquid. Ice cold streams? I could sit there for an hour just so I can drink extra ice cool water.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )

I never, ever turn down ice. Or an ice cold drink. THAT is what I truly crave on trail. Cold liquid. Ice cold streams? I could sit there for an hour just so I can drink extra ice cool water.
    Again, you hit the nail on the head...anything cold to drink is magic.

geek

Images

High five Geek!!!

Can you dig it?
    Images

Thank you!
    I'm beginning to think that most posters on WB have no idea why most thru hikers are out there.
    Most thru hikers like the "wilderness" feeling, the sights, the beauty, the walking and the camping but they almost all like the companionship of others and the enjoyment of getting together.
    Lets face it...if they were out there for solitude and a true "wilderness experience" they wouldn't be on the AT...it is just a path in the woods between cities.
    Lighten up...no one is ruining your "wilderness experience" because THERE IS NO WILDERNESS!

geek

geek
    A matter of oponion, maybe there is no wilderness to you, but much of the GA, NC and TN feels like wilderness to me. It is also federally designated Wilderness which counts for something.

"the AT is just a path through the woods between cities".........

While your sentiment is clear, the fact is that there inst really a "city" on the trail. "a path through the woods between roads that lead to little towns?" ......maybe, but you hit the nail on the head, the more everyone steps back and lets housing developments, powerline corridors, 4-lane highways, and yes: gross and over-large trail magic opperations the less "illusion of wilderness" we have, and that is what the A.T. is supposed to be IN MY OPONION.

"The Appalachian Trail is conceived as the backbone of a super reservation and primeval recreation ground covering the length (and width) of the Appalachian Range itself, its ultimate purpose being to extend acquaintance with the scenery and serve as a guide to the understanding of nature." –BENTON MACKAYE

nothin there says trail between cities to me. Lets not give up on Benton's vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger'02 View Post
    A matter of oponion, maybe there is no wilderness to you, but much of the GA, NC and TN feels like wilderness to me. It is also federally designated Wilderness which counts for something.

While your sentiment is clear, the fact is that there inst really a "city" on the trail. "a path through the woods between roads that lead to little towns?" ......maybe, but you hit the nail on the head, the more everyone steps back and lets housing developments, powerline corridors, 4-lane highways, and yes: gross and over-large trail magic opperations the less "illusion of wilderness" we have, and that is what the A.T. is supposed to be IN MY OPONION.

"The Appalachian Trail is conceived as the backbone of a super reservation and primeval recreation ground covering the length (and width) of the Appalachian Range itself, its ultimate purpose being to extend acquaintance with the scenery and serve as a guide to the understanding of nature." –BENTON MACKAYE

nothin there says trail between cities to me. Lets not give up on Benton's vision.
    The best advice that I have heard on the trail yet was at Low Gap shelter this year when a current thru hiker was worried about getting lost on the AT...B-Man's advice to him was that if you think you are lost, STAY PUT, WAIT TILL DARK THEN WALK OVER TO THE PORCH LIGHT AND KNOCK ON THE DOOR...sadly this is VERY true!...get over the wilderness thing...it is a path in the woods between cities.

geek

Can you dig it?
    Images

The best advice that I have heard on the trail yet was at Low Gap shelter this year when a current thru hiker was worried about getting lost on the AT...B-Man's advice to him was that if you think you are lost, STAY PUT, WAIT TILL DARK THEN WALK OVER TO THE PORCH LIGHT AND KNOCK ON THE DOOR...sadly this is VERY true!...get over the wilderness thing...it is a path in the woods between cities.

geek

maybe in PA. we disagree, im done arguing.

Digger'02,
    Sorry, I'm not argueing or trying to argue. Most hikers don't carry more than 3-5 days of food and hike from Springer to Suches then to Neels Gap, then to Hiawasee, then to Franklin, then to NOC, then to Fontana, then to Hot Springs, etc, etc, etc....city to city.

geek

Can you dig it?
    Images

maybe im not done. thanks for the olive branch and I am sorry this discussion has hijacked the thread a little.

I guess my point is just that Suches Unincorporated is not a city and its not on the trail, its a long way off if you are walking, just like franklin and hiawassee which are both are also a long way off brom being "Cities" (also, you know good and well that you can't hike from Fontana to Hot springs in 5 days unless you are Jen Farr ).

The Trail Corridor itself crosses very few municipal boundaries in the south, which means that big and frequent trail magic opperations can change the character of the corridor. I think that is something we can agree on.

ANYWAY!!!! we thru hiked the same year! when did you summit?

(thanks again for calming us down, i enjoy this much more as a cordial debate)

Can you dig it?
    Images

maybe im not done. thanks for the olive branch and I am sorry this discussion has hijacked the thread a little.

I guess my point is just that Suches Unincorporated is not a city and its not on the trail, its a long way off if you are walking, just like franklin and hiawassee which are both are also a long way off brom being "Cities" (also, you know good and well that you can't hike from Fontana to Hot springs in 5 days unless you are Jen Farr ).

The Trail Corridor itself crosses very few municipal boundaries in the south, which means that big and frequent trail magic opperations can change the character of the corridor. I think that is something we can agree on.

ANYWAY!!!! we thru hiked the same year! when did you summit?

(thanks again for calming us down, i enjoy this much more as a cordial debate)
    Maybe you can hike from fontana to Hot springs in a week....but that would be a heck of a week and a heavy slog up shuckstack!!

Digger'02,
    Yeah, I saw your '02 and wondered myself.LOL
    I started on St. Patrick's Day and summited on 9/11.

geek

Images

http://wilderdom.com/vignettes/appal...chianParts.htm

Benton Mackaye's vision was to connect communities with a trail.

Journal Entries

geek
    Well, that just isn't so. There are many, many hundreds of miles of trail, at least a thousand miles, where no porch lights can be seen, as you well know. My question is why do you seem to be concurring with the exaggeration (lie)?

Weary

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++