WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Once you're up at either Old South Mt Inn (Turner's Gap and/or Washington Monument Park - and Gathland State Park) in Maryland, or even Harpers Ferry...get a ride into Frederick MD. We have Flying Dog Brewery where you can tour and taste, and Brewers Alley downtown on Market Street where they brew their own fabulous beers. Get into town on Thursday evening and you can have Lobster Night at Brewers Alley - 1 1/4 lb whole lobster, fries, caesar salad, and slaw for $13.95.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Smoky Mountain Brewery is delicious (and in my backyard). My personal fav is the pale ale, they also make a "Cherokee Red" that is exceptional (and they make a "Cherokee Sirloin" marinated in the Cherokee Red!!! They go excellent together). Don't forget to try the soft pretzels and beer-cheese dip!!!!

Thank for the link to the previous thread. Also, I absolutely agree with you about the rise of beer in America. Luckily I wasn't old enough to drink during the dark ages of American brewing.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjohnson2043 View Post
    How far is Buena Vista from the Trail? I'd love to stop in if I get the chance especially if I can mix and match. Do you have a selection of local or regional beers?
    Buena Vista is a ways from the trail - about 9 miles or so, if you get on U.S. Route 60 at the Long Mt. trailhead. Getting a ride into BV isn't usually too hard, and we do have a newly formed trail angel network to help you out with a ride to and from. You can call the wine shop at 540-261-9463 during business hours (M-F 10-6 and Sat. 11-6) and they can usually hook you up with a ride if you need one. The mix & match six packs will start this summer after a bit of expansion at the shop. We do have some local & regional beers and there is a small nano brewery that recently opened in Lexington (6 miles west of BV). M-Sat. there is a shuttle that runs to Lex and back to BV - $.50 each way)

Images

We also have Barley & Hops in Frederick - microbrewery and restaurant. Excellent beers and some AYCE nights.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Storyteller
    Images

Someone mentioned Appalachian Brewing in Harrisburg, but Troegs is much better beer. They are moving their operations to Hershey, but this summer will still be in Harrisburg.

As someone mentioned, Pat and Vicky do have some of their beers available at the Doyle, but if you get to the tasting room at the brewery you can try all their offerings, including their one-off scratch beers, which are always interesting.

As mentioned, Asheville has great beers and breweries!! Right on the way to Hot Springs, Erwin and Damascus.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjohnson2043 View Post
    Thank for the link to the previous thread. Also, I absolutely agree with you about the rise of beer in America. Luckily I wasn't old enough to drink during the dark ages of American brewing.
    They were a dark and perilous time, best forgotten except by those of us who bear the scars of growing up on Miller High Life....

http://brewridgetrail.com/ heres a set of somewhat close to the trail brew spots.. devils backbone is real close you can see the preist from the bar.

the yuengling brewery is a 25 minute drive from Port Clinton PA....not exactly a small brewery but still a brewery. Also a 20 minute drive from Eckville is the Kutztown Tavern which brews their own. Tough part would be finding a ride from Eckville to Kutztown

JohnnyJohnson,
    I'm planning a thru hike in 2013 and I was planning on doing research on the local brews. If you are planning the same type of project I'll follow you. Will you be posting to trail journal or other blogs?
    Susquehanna Slim

Go Long!

Brewery just opened in Hot Springs

Default beer

Bull and Bones in Blacksburgh, VA brew their own and there several resturants in this college town with great selections.

Long Trail Ale can be bought here in Virginia. Kroger sells it.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I had an incredible IPA from Smuttynose Brewery (based in Portsmouth, NH) on a zero day in Bethlehem, NH (just north of Crawford Notch), at the Cold Mountain Cafe I believe. Heaven.

+1 for Long Trail Ale.

As mentioned earlier, lots of good brewing companies in Asheville. I was partial to the Asheville, Green Man, and Highland brewing companies.

If you ever get to Ann Arbor, Michigan, check out the Arbor Brewing Company. I'm a (very small) part owner of the first Ann Arbor brewpub started by former employees of mine.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    10 miles from Damascus, Va. http://wolfhillsbrewing.com/main.php/

Anyplace sell it that isn't so formal as the restaruaunts on their website. Don't want a $50 restaraunt bill just to have a decent beer and the Growler Hours aren't matching up with my schedule that I'll be around.

French Broad Wee Heavy on tap at River's Edge/NOC last week. Brewed in Asheville, really hit the spot.

Just did the Davenport to Erwin (almost) section a few weeks ago and was very pleasantly surprised to find that the tavern right on the main street in Hot Springs has a great selection of beer on draft and in bottles. They include the local stuff from the Asheville breweries mentioned above...which is fine stuff indeed. They also have many other microbrew choices, i'd say about 30 different choices, along with the standard fare. In addition to trying some new beer, I discovered I am a reeeaaaally cheap drunk after a few days on the trail.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Images

If you want to try some real Trail Magic, you gotta go to Nantahala Brewing in Bryson City, NC. Nothing watered down about this brew - a rich, creamy, Russian stout. It's well worth the excursion.
    PORTION OF PROCEEDS TO BENEFIT APP TRAIL: A portion of proceeds of the bottle sales will be donated to the Appalachian Trail Ridgerunner Program via the Friends of the Smokies organization.
    Biggie

Images

The Wedge, Asheville. Worth every step

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++