WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Unleashed dogs

Yeah I can just imagine someone acting as bad as a dog, pissing on your tent, stealing food,,,,growling and barking , charging you

Out of consideration for other trail users, I trained my dog to come to me, step off of the trail and sit when another hiker approaches. To my surprise, a small but notable number of people we encountered took my dog being in a sit command on their approach as an indication that my dog must be aggresive; why else would I require him to sit when people pass? After having this experience a few times I realized I don't actually give a $&@& if you don't like my dog or the way I handle him. I leash him when it's required and I leash him when I think it's a good idea; but just because we happen to be on the same 2200 mile stretch of trodden leaves as you are isn't my idea of a good reason to use a leash every step of the way. I will continue to insist on polite behavior from my dog because it is the right thing to do, but if you don't like it you can just keep walking. All in all, we have met far more people on the trail who were glad to see us than people who were not.

Journal Entries
    Images

Try not to worry about those who were not,
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by jima59 View Post
    Yeah I can just imagine someone acting as bad as a dog, pissing on your tent, stealing food,,,,growling and barking , charging you
    you haven't met too many hikers, have you?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Angry

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that the dog forum seems to be the only place where people can make veiled threats of physical violence against fellow hikers and their pets without getting banned from WB?

I'm glad the actions of folks I meet on the trail are almost always a far cry from the nonsense that's sometimes spews here.

Again, don't pepper spray the messenger, I'm just telling it like I see it
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I'm glad the actions of folks I meet on the trail are almost always a far cry from the nonsense that's sometimes spews here.
    This, times 100.

Journal Entries
    Images

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that the dog forum seems to be the only place where people can make veiled threats of physical violence against fellow hikers and their pets without getting banned from WB?

Again, don't pepper spray the messenger, I'm just telling it like I see it
    Ahh you nailed it.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by rusane View Post
    ... I don't actually give a $&@& if you don't like my dog or the way I handle him. ...
    Seems to be the attitude of too many bad dog owners.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

Rain Man

And this good one.

I don't actually give a $&@& if you don't like my dog or the way I handle him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

Rain Man

And this good one.
    and this good one as well. people like you don't have to approve of me for me to be able to live my life. people scared of offending the whiners is what's kicking this country in the ass.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

snip ...cut ...paste...

howdy Rainman...long time.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve View Post
    howdy Rain Man...long time.
    Hello Steve! Long, long time, no see! Good to hear from you among all the misanthropes replying.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Thinly veiled circumstantial argumentum ad hominem - nice.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Thinly veiled circumstantial argumentum ad hominem - nice.
    You're just jealous...

You're just jealous...
    I would say hello, but apparently we are misanthropes.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I would say hello, but apparently we are misanthropes.
    We qualify as such just by being members of this site.

Fortunately our presense here precludes us from being luddites.

We have gotten to the point now of demanding every dog owner we meet on the trail with unleashed dogs to put them on the leash before approaching. All but one has complied and that A-hole didn't have a leash..

It is simply selfish and irresponsible of a dog owner to suggest that it is the non dog owners who must simply trust an unknown animal and assume that they are under verbal control of their owner. Why does my experience have to be jeaprodized by your unwillingness to keep your animal on a lead?

I happen to work in a field that requires me to enter private property on a daily basis. In this case, I somewhat am tolerant of unleashed dogs as it is their home and environment after all. However, I am confronted with aggressive dogs at least once a week, and every single time the owner pulls the "my dog has never acted that way before" bs that we hear all too common on the trail. Like humans, all animals are unpredictable, especially in specific situations that the dog and owner may have never encountered for trainable purposes. Thats when bad things happen.

If you want your dog to enjoy the freedom of off leash fun, go to a dog park or buy yourself an expansive property. But while sharing public spaces, do us all a favor and put your animal on a lead to avoid any risk of a bad encounter. It's not my responsibility to determine if your pet is a threat to me.

My dog isn't your problem and your phobia isn't my problem.

I have no phobia... As I said I work and deal with dogs daily as part of my employment and by and large have had no major issues aside from two instances in which the owners allowed their animal to continue to act aggressively toward me.

My wife and hiking partner on the other has a very real fear of unknown dogs and carries a visible scar on her face from an incident as a child from one of these "dogs that are of no threat to anyone".

Just be respectful, keep your dog on a lead and we will have no problem. Again it is not my responsibility to determine whether your animal is a problem or not.

Quote Originally Posted by DAJA View Post
    We have gotten to the point now of demanding every dog owner we meet on the trail with unleashed dogs to put them on the leash before approaching. All but one has complied and that A-hole didn't have a leash..

It is simply selfish and irresponsible of a dog owner to suggest that it is the non dog owners who must simply trust an unknown animal and assume that they are under verbal control of their owner. Why does my experience have to be jeaprodized by your unwillingness to keep your animal on a lead?

I happen to work in a field that requires me to enter private property on a daily basis. In this case, I somewhat am tolerant of unleashed dogs as it is their home and environment after all. However, I am confronted with aggressive dogs at least once a week, and every single time the owner pulls the "my dog has never acted that way before" bs that we hear all too common on the trail. Like humans, all animals are unpredictable, especially in specific situations that the dog and owner may have never encountered for trainable purposes. Thats when bad things happen.

If you want your dog to enjoy the freedom of off leash fun, go to a dog park or buy yourself an expansive property. But while sharing public spaces, do us all a favor and put your animal on a lead to avoid any risk of a bad encounter. It's not my responsibility to determine if your pet is a threat to me.
    nope.

i'm scared witless of inane people like you. therefore, you must be on a leash before approaching me on the trail.

seriously, if you "insist" that i leash my dogs while you're approaching, then you can just sit there until i pass on by. i'm not responsible for your irrationalities.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
++ New Posts ++