WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Unleashed dogs

As I said, we respectfully request the owners of unleashed dogs to put them on a lead before we approach further. If you don't comply and your dog so much as snarls, it will be your fault if I decide to pepper spray the animal. If you wish to further escalate the issue I'd be happy to dispatch of you as well and then report you to the appropriate authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by DAJA View Post
    My wife and hiking partner on the other has a very real fear of unknown dogs and carries a visible scar on her face from an incident as a child from one of these "dogs that are of no threat to anyone"
    Description of Misleading Vividness

Misleading Vividness is a fallacy in which a very small number of particularly dramatic events are taken to outweigh a significant amount of statistical evidence. This sort of "reasoning" has the following form:

1. Dramatic or vivid event X occurs (and is not in accord with the majority of the statistical evidence) .
    2. Therefore events of type X are likely to occur.

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    nope.

i'm scared witless of inane people like you. therefore, you must be on a leash before approaching me on the trail.

seriously, if you "insist" that i leash my dogs while you're approaching, then you can just sit there until i pass on by. i'm not responsible for your irrationalities.
    Kanga people like you are a dime a dozen and I have zero interest in debating your rights vs mine, so frankly, if we meet on the trail, i'd happily step aside and allow you and all your freedom to walk on by...

Kanga people like you are a dime a dozen and I have zero interest in debating your rights vs mine, so frankly, if we meet on the trail, i'd happily step aside and allow you and all your freedom to walk on by...
    See, now isn't that a mush better solution than 'I'd happily dispatch you'?

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    nope.

i'm scared witless of inane people like you. therefore, you must be on a leash before approaching me on the trail.

seriously, if you "insist" that i leash my dogs while you're approaching, then you can just sit there until i pass on by. i'm not responsible for your irrationalities.
    Quote Originally Posted by rusane View Post
    Description of Misleading Vividness

Misleading Vividness is a fallacy in which a very small number of particularly dramatic events are taken to outweigh a significant amount of statistical evidence. This sort of "reasoning" has the following form:

1. Dramatic or vivid event X occurs (and is not in accord with the majority of the statistical evidence) .
    2. Therefore events of type X are likely to occur.

You can explain how irrational she's being as she quivers like a leaf in the wind, frozen with fear as an unknown dog approaches on a steap narrow peice of path..

Put your dog on a leash or leave it home... My wife chooses to be hiking, you make that choice for your dog.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    On a side note, has anyone else noticed that the dog forum seems to be the only place where people can make veiled threats of physical violence against fellow hikers and their pets without getting banned from WB?

I'm glad the actions of folks I meet on the trail are almost always a far cry from the nonsense that's sometimes spews here.

Again, don't pepper spray the messenger, I'm just telling it like I see it
    Thank you for continuing to prove my point.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

You can explain how irrational she's being as she quivers like a leaf in the wind, frozen with fear as an unknown dog approaches on a steap narrow peice of path..

Put your dog on a leash or leave it home... My wife chooses to be hiking, you make that choice for your dog.
    As I said, your phobias (and by extension your wife's) are not my problem. If you look back through the thread you will see that my original post was along the lines of 'I go out of my way to accommodate people and still some people are not satiated. I give up, if you don't like it "keep walking"'

If another person was acting in a threatening manner toward you whether aggressive or defensive, how would you respond? Now consider it being a threatening dog, how would your respond?

Why does it bother you that someone feeling threatened would use a non leathal approach to protecting themselves when being threatened regardless of it being man or dog?

If a dog is acting aggressive, i'm not going to wait to see if I get bit, i'm going to take active steps to prevent it, and if pepper spray is in my hand, that is the approach i'm going to use..

Yes...absolutely...all the time.

An unleashed dog may or may not be a problem for other hikers, wildlife, and other dogs. More importantly to me, an unleashed dog may be at risk from those other hikers, wildlife, and other dogs. I realize the calm, sedate, urbanized AT is not the Wild West. But here in my home region I read news stories every year of unleashed dogs caught in traps, drowned in running water, mauled by wildlife or other dogs. I've read more than one story of bear encounters brought about by an unleashed dog being chased back to its owner by a bear.

My dog was always on lead in the AT region. He was always on lead in Alaska (which saved him when he fell of a river bank). My new pup is always on lead in Montana.

Love them...protect them...leash them.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

If another person was acting in a threatening manner toward you whether aggressive or defensive, how would you respond? Now consider it being a threatening dog, how would your respond?

Why does it bother you that someone feeling threatened would use a non leathal approach to protecting themselves when being threatened regardless of it being man or dog?

If a dog is acting aggressive, i'm not going to wait to see if I get bit, i'm going to take active steps to prevent it, and if pepper spray is in my hand, that is the approach i'm going to use..
    Because feeling threatened and being threatened are not synonymous. Because non-lethal and non-violnt are not synonymous.

In the rare instance you are actually threatened, by all means defend yourself appropriately.

Again I don't know the animal and am not going to wait to see if the threat is more than that. If it acts aggressive toward me, I will respond aggressively... And I have every right to do so, which is why you should have your animal on a lead.

Fiddleback, you may want to scroll up and read the description of the logical fallacy 'misleading vividness'. If you still choose to leash your dog all of the time go right ahead, but you can't make that choice for me.

For work we are required to take training for dealing with aggressive dogs as it is a common hazard of our employment. They don't teach us to read the situation and determine if the aggressive dog is truely a threat or just bluffing... They teach us to respond immediately toward any sign of aggressive behavior... If you can't retreat to safety, then that means pepper spraying the animal... I'm not risking a bite and potential serious hike ending injury, so if a dog so much as snarls, it will get sprayed... simple!

Again I don't know the animal and am not going to wait to see if the threat is more than that. If it acts aggressive toward me, I will respond aggressively... And I have every right to do so, which is why you should have your animal on a lead.
    You also have every right to read a book, educate yourself on the way dogs communicate, and get counseling for irrational fears. I would tell you that you should, but unlike you I typically don't presume to tell others what they 'should and should not' do.

Quote Originally Posted by rusane View Post
    Fiddleback, you may want to scroll up and read the description of the logical fallacy 'misleading vividness'. If you still choose to leash your dog all of the time go right ahead, but you can't make that choice for me.
    Like any true Merican', your right to make personal choices trumps all else and everyone else... Proud days indeed!

I should educate myself, read books and get therapy because you choose not to act responsibly in public... Moving on... Good day.

Like any true Merican', your right to make personal choices trumps all else and everyone else... Proud days indeed!
    Actually, it is you how presuming that your right to 'enjoy the trail without my unleashed dog on it' trumps my right to 'enjoy the trail with my unleashed dog on it'. My position is we can both enjoy the trail.

Moving on... Good day.
    Goods solution - it works wonders on the trail too.

You can bring an entire heard of dogs on the trail with you, all I ask is that you put them on a leash and keep them under your control so I don't have to deal with them.

It's called comprimise... Most reasonable people learn this before leaving primary school... In Merica' they've built an entire political party around ignoring this one simple action..

You can bring an entire heard of dogs on the trail with you, all I ask is that you put them on a leash and keep them under your control so I don't have to deal with them.

It's called comprimise... Most reasonable people learn this before leaving primary school... In Merica' they've built an entire political party around ignoring this one simple action..
    And here I thought you were moving on -sigh-

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
++ New Posts ++