WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dri-Ducks--???

Driducks are sized really big. Go a size smaller than you normally would. Pants take more of a beating than tops for me. I am using a Driduck top with Montbell Dynamo pants.

Quote Originally Posted by gumball View Post
    Absolutely.
    Well, not quite absolutely. The brushed inner of the fabric gives you the illusion that you are dry. It feels pretty nice. The fit of the garments is loose and the fabric is fairly stiff, both of which contribute to what has been referred to as a "bellows effect" whereby your movements pump the damp air out the neck and sleeve openings. The garments are far less breathable than an uncoated windbreaker, so you will sweat more in them (I think some people expect some kind of mystical air conditioning ) than in uncoated nylon - but, of course, uncoated nylon will not keep the rain off.

The pants on mine are history, and the jacket now leaks where I got some oil on it.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Being warm has always been my object- so I wear windgear while hiking in the rain, raingear while in camp.

Sensible in cool conditions, not so much in cold conditions. I often hike with my rain jacket nearly (or completely, in calm conditions) unzipped for ventilation. Good ventilation trumps "waterproof/breathable" fabrics. ("__________" meaning so-called in the mysterious realm of punctuation - works with nicknames, too - example: Tommy "Guns" Smith).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I just got a suite shipped for 18 with 48 hour shipping.
    comes with stuff sack and jacket + pants + stuff sack is smaller and lighter than my GorTex shell.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tuswm View Post
    I just got a suite shipped for 18 with 48 hour shipping.
    comes with stuff sack and jacket + pants + stuff sack is smaller and lighter than my GorTex shell.
    I just got the same thing from Amazon.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Your right about the mindset of value vs cost. Wish I knew two years ago when I started hiking what I know now and wish I knew now what I'll know two years from now. I have two titanium cook sets and I'm taking a beer can to cook in, have about every fancy stove you can think of and I'm taking a stove I made from an empty spray can, got a nice Goretex jacket & pants and taking a 9 oz poncho and a pair of DriDucks pants, etc., etc...

Glad there are no "these are horrible" replies here. I ordered a set from FroggToggs the day before yesterday. I figured at $19.99 I could afford to test them out. They told me they were discontinuing the trail pack set, so I just got the regular ones.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I've certainly wasted lots more in my lifetime.
    Dear Karma, I have a list of people you missed.

A goal is a dream with a plan and a deadline.

I had DriDucks for my '09 hike and liked them. I did tear a giant hole in the armpit on my first day in Maine, but repaired it with duct tape. I did switch to more sturdy rain gear for the final leg of my hike from Damascus south because it was getting cold and potentially snowy and I wanted something with a little more heft. But they worked for me!
    Zipper
    VA-ME VA-GA '09
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver
    http://wildandwhiteblazing.com

I hiked the AT with a pair last year, they really lack in durability. They require care and some duct tape but all things considered they are my favorite rain gear so far.

Images

Appreciate the thoughts on this. I was struggling to decide if Driducks would be ok for an April 3rd start on the trail. This gives me the confidence to downsize and save at least 3/4 of a pound in gear weight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++