WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Breakfast?

Default Breakfast?

the only idea i have is oatmeal. any others?

Images

try the search engine. it a marvel of today's technology. To boldly go where no one has gone before!
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

There are a whole bunch of breakfast threads going around- so I'm just going to copy and re-post what I posted on the other threads...
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

I snacked during the day mostly (like you said, instead of a solid lunch). One thing you might like to change up breakfast is either dry cereal with powdered milk (like NIDO)- it is very light, and it you tie it on top of your pack, it won't get crushed. It was a good treat. I had grapenuts or raisinbran.

Also couscous is great for breakfast. I would fill my mug maybe 2/5 with couscous, then hot water, put the lid on and let it sit for a couple minutes. Then when the water is all absorbed, I added dried cherries and brown sugar. I wasn't a huge fan of breakfast, personally.

My two breakfast splurges (weight-wise) were frootloops with REAL milk. Carried in a nalgene, then the weather got cold and the rest of it froze, and breakfast sandwiches. :

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    TexasEd reminded me- I completely forgot about my jealousy inducing food I carried with me out of Damascus. First of all, I had a frying pan, so this may not work for you. I carried bagels, FRESH eggs in one of those obnoxious little plastic egg containers, swiss cheese, olive oil, and I think I might've had canadian bacon too. No, it was something along the lines of pepperoni.

I would fry the egg in the olive oil, then fry the bagel, then I'd fry the meat. Then I would put it all together (slice of cheese on the top, then the egg, then the meat, and on the bottom, the bagel), and put it back on the frying pan for a minute so the cheese would melt perfectly. It was DELICIOUS, and was far less hassle than I'm sure it sounds. Took me a couple minutes to make it, and really gave me the energy I needed to hike. Some people scoffed at the "extra weight" it added to my pack, but I'd already dropped some pack and body weight since Georgia, and the fresh food was WORTH IT for me. Felt so good...
    I feel obnoxious quoting myself...
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )

Images

Instant Grits w/bacon bits or cheese & butter or margarine...

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Pancakes are easy and quick with little to no clean up if you do them right. Good granola with or without (powdered) milk is a favorite of mine.Been playing around with powdered eggs not too bad and can be adulterated with a variety of things. There is a couple of places online you can find them and they have a long shelf life even after opened. Chunk of cheese, summer sausage, whatever bread, flat bagel is my current favorite, washed down with instant coffee. I also like peanut butter and jelly on a flat bagel, or whatever. Grits are good and again a lot you can do there. Cream of wheat, instant rice also make a good base or eat as is. First morning out go for whatever you want fresh eggs and bacon, ham or sausage, fresh fruit whatever. Note that a lot of this stuff can be carried for several days I just figure the extra weight is not a big deal the first night out. for a long distance between resupply go ahead and carry the egg or two and some vacuum sealed meat for morning #3 or 4 Fresh fruit is heavy but oh so good. Dried fruit rounds out any breakfast.
    Alcohol was involved!

Carnation instant breakfast mix.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I cook a double-size breakfast, hike for an hour as soon as I wake up, then finish what's left in my pot.

I mix up a granola with rolled oats, coconut flakes, sliced almonds, dried fruit, a little bran, wheat germ, and powdered milk (and possibly other ingredients as well). I pack this in ziplock bags and eat out of a bowl. Add water, and it's ready.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Pop tarts, Cliff Bar, granola, gorp, dried fruit and fruit bars (I like the Archer stuff from Target), bagel and cheese, granola bars

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    Instant Grits w/bacon bits or cheese & butter or margarine...
    Just a slight correction. That should be bacon bits AND cheese.

2 packets of oatmeal(with fresh strawberries, blueberries, or blackberries if I can find them fresh), instant breakfast drink with glutamine powder added, multi-vitamin, gorp

The secret to variety-cooking on backpacking trips is to carry a non-stick FRY PAN. While I do like oatmeal (and it can be prepared in a fry pan too), I much anticipate using my new hydrolon (non-teflon) fry pan for morning toast or eggs, pretty impossible otherwise with the standard pot or titanium cookware. I found a fry pan that is deep enough to cook up soups too, so I can ditch all other cookware and pots and just take out the fry pan (with the handle removed).

I do not recommend teflon type pans or non-stick pans built on very thin metal---flaking teflon is common and you end up eating it. Formaldehyde based, I believe. My hydrolon pan is heavier than normal but so far it hasn't started to flake off.

A great breakfast is whole wheat bread with a hole cut out of the middle and fried up in olive oil with an egg in the center.

bacon then there's also BACON

Images

I carried a frying pan too. And I carried a half pound of bacon several times. People laughed when I was packing up my gear, but who was laughing as the bacon sizzled in my pan? So good.

Images

But it was cold and snowing for the first month I was out- I think bacon'd get really messy if you carried it when it was warm for too long. I've done it in warmer weather, but only on short section hikes.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Honey Buns! All the sugar and fat a growing boy needs, all wrapped up in yummy deliciousness!

Images

Ewww no. Those things made me sick after a couple weeks. :P

Honey buns. The one and only way to go. Period. No other option. Most calories per pennies you are gonna find. Exactly what you need to get goin in the morning. Tasty, easy to pack, no worries about crushing them.
    Yahtzee

Images

If you don't mind a shaky energy high, followed by a crash/burn. Yick.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++